on 3 July 2010
I got the book not so long ago, i read the first few chapters and as i was in no rush decided to read the book bt by bit when I had time. Then I continued reading it and within 2 days read the rest of the book, you cant help but love the character of Carrie Bradshaw and the book whilst not being complicated or overly suprising, is perfectly written so you can imagine the details you need to, what the characters are like, the town where she comes from and just whats going on. This book is a must read for all SATC fans, aswell as anybody else who is interested in this type of novel, Candace Bushnell to me is such a clever, witty writer that she makes anything work, this book is played out perfectly and the last page ( if your a satc fan or familair with) leaves you smiling at satisfied, i think this book would make a perfect movie or could well be due a sequel, give it a go!
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2010
Even though this is meant for teenagers, I found this book completely enthralling and brilliantly written. I'm a huge fan of SATC and of Candace Bushnell - I've read all of her books and loved every single one. Even so, with a slight bit of trepidation, I started reading The Carrie Diaries but was very pleased when I realised I was already sucked into the world of Carrie Bradshaw. For teenagers who haven't seen the show - it's great. Covers the same storylines you would expect in a teenage novel but with sass and wit you wouldn't expect...but if you are an SATC fan - it's great to see the development of the character "Carrie" and how she makes it to New York. The supporting characters are all great and believable - and in some ways, I'd like to have read more about them as well. All in all, a great read and a must read for anyone slightly SATC obsessed.
on 8 October 2010
I was very excited to read the history of Carrie Bradshaw, especially loving the series and films.

I started the book with a ery open mind and really liked Carrie's charater, though the character in the book and in the TV series are not completely the same, they share similar features in their character toward relationships, friendships and you also learn her passion for journalism and how her successful career all began.

I read this book in 2days, it was so enjoyable and I didn't want the story to end. There was always something exciting in the story line and I thought the ending was very clever.

I would love to see this book become a TV series to show the younger Carrie Bradshaw for all of the SATC fans and younger generations.

Great book, if you are looking for a fun and easy read, I highly recommend this!
on 3 September 2011
I started reading this having not read the original SATC book, only some of the TV series and both of the films. I must have missed out on the parts of the series where Carrie's father left her family at an early stage. Maybe he came back and that this led in part to some of her difficulties with men. Her father came across well in this book - a widower struggling to deal with his wife's death and his daughters growing up. I liked the part in the book where Carrie and her group of friends were going to leave a memento of their final year in school but the year is never actually revealed. That is left up to the reader's imagination but maybe I missed something there. The ending really is an "I never thought that was going to happen!" I'm not going to say of course - you'll just have to read it yourself.
on 26 July 2011
as a lover of SATC i couldnt wait to read about infamous shoe lover carrie as a teenager. the plot involves events and people that are very different from the plot in the tv show, would have liked to seen the novel kinda follow it slightly. carrie is in her last year of high school and she is figuring out what she wants to do, showing an aptitude for maths and science she is destined for a science related career. but she has a secret passion for writing and we see a glimpse of what she later becomes. and the ending is perfection as she spends the summer in new york before going off to college at Brown she gets in contact with one of her classmates cousin. i would love to tell you who it is but that would spoil it!!!
on 28 December 2010
I absolutlely loved this book and read it in a day. I had read some of the reviews on here, so I knew that there were no direct links to sex and the city, so I wasn't disapointed. I think had I not read the reviews then I would have been. There are slight references to the character that carrie becomes, but this book is really just about a 17 year old girl who is about to leave school and all of the drama that involves friendships and boys.

I did enjoy finding out how carrie became carrie and about her family as that is never mentioned in the show. I would reccomend reading it, but don't expect it to be like sex and the city!

I look forward to reading the second installment!
on 18 June 2011
As other reviews state, don't compare book and tv show, however even if managing that, I was still disappointed. I've read all Candance Bushnell books and loved them but found this very childlike. It is about teenage (and rather innocent) Carrie but I was still surprised by the book's 'young tone'. This is of course just my personal opinion and you might feel completely different to me but I found it very boring to read and must admit I didn't even finish it. It would have been something I would have enjoyed reading when I was a teenager myself but by now (late 20's) it was just too tame and personally I felt this Carrie would (if real) not grow up to become Carrie of New York.
on 16 June 2013
Yes, it's true what people are saying- forget what we know from the TV series. Nevertheless, Candice Bushnell is still a great writer and without her we possibly may not of had such a great show in the first place. If you are a die hard SATC fan then you will love this book. There is more depth to Carries character whereas the show made her dislike her towards the end so this book restored her like-ability. Ig you like reading about fashion, sex and new york then I would recommend this book.

Also if you are a fan of this genre I would suggest reading A Farce On Fifth Avenue another great and witty read about fashion, friends and bitches.
on 18 July 2011
AS someone how has watched the odd couple of sex in the city episodes, and loved it. But have never been able to find when it is on to watch it. I can say that when i read the sample of the book and the review. I have to buy the book and read it all. This is an amazing read and i would read it again and i don't just say that about any good book. As i offen find it had to read a book more that once but with this book i could reread it. I have read the sample of the next book and i can't wait to buy it.

One thing that i would say is bad about this book is that it cost i little to much.
on 9 January 2014
Got this to read on a plane, I randomly bought Summer and the City last year and really enjoyed it. I read this in a couple of hours which was perfect as I had an early flight and had to stay awake all night. As I was by myself, Carrie, Sebastian and others very good company and although I quite liked some aspects of this book, I don't think it's as good as its sequel. I know most people don't agree with my opinion, but I just enjoyed her more independent life, New York and the SATC girls more than her small town life. This isn't too deep, but is a cute, girly, easy read.