5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Carrie - before Sex and the City...
Okay, in order to read this book, there are a few rules.

Published on 30 April 2010 by David Stevenson

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cover is Pretty
As a true SATC ( Sex and the City Fan) I love everything about the shows, books and films, so I was excited when it came out.

I read it in one night.

It is what you would expect. It is Carrie growing up as a teenager and true to the title it was like reading a teenage girls diary - so I guess that was executed well.

I actually drooled over...
Published on 18 Aug 2011 by Regular User

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Carrie - before Sex and the City..., 30 April 2010
This review is from: The Carrie Diaries (The Carrie Diaries, Book 1) (Hardcover)
Okay, in order to read this book, there are a few rules.

Firstly, forget everything about that we learnt about Carrie's life pre SATC from the show. This includes the absent father, the losing of virginity on a pool table and Jeremy Conway. Yes, I love the show as much as anyone, but if you're constantly comparing the two (book and series) you'll be disappointed.

Secondly, forget about the Carrie from the original BOOK Sex and the City, because frankly, she's not as nice as SJP's CB, nor this teenage one in The Carrie Diaries.

Okay, still with me?

Carrie Bradshaw is seventeen years old and ready to start her life. Unfortunately, various inconvieniencies keep getting in the way. She has to complete senior year of high school, her friend's seem to be growing apart, and Sebastian Kydd arrives in Castlebury.

What I loved about this book was the fact that there is no direct references to future Carrie. After all, she's still growing up and finding things out for herself - she's not become 'Carrie Bradshaw' yet. However, there are obviously hints to the person she is - the trouble with guys, the love of fashion, the loyalty in her friendships. It's all there. You can see how she grew up from dreaming of becoming a writer in New York to actually achieving it.

This is for teens, but I think fans of the show will enjoy it, as long as they don't get too upset about the changes in plot. What's great about Candace Bushnell is that it's like she's still at high school. Everything that teenagers worry about in their life is there - the frustration of basically just exisiting, the waiting to actually do something with your life, the concerns and worries that we all had(or have had).

The teenage Carrie Bradshaw is, after all, a teenager. She's smart and clever, bt she does make mistakes, and she doesn't always act perfectly. But that's good, because it reminds us that she is an 'every-girl'.

This book is very funny, and without being smug, very understanding of teenage life. I for one, loved it (the ending is just PERFECT, and I can't wait for the sequel, due out summer 2011) and there are several comments that had me laughing and relating to Carrie, as well as her friends.

Read it, see what you think There will be some who hate it because it's not like the show. But there will also be some who love it for showing Carrie's journey from ambitious teenager to New York girl.

I'm most definatly in the latter camp.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cover is Pretty, 18 Aug 2011

I read it in one night.

I actually drooled over the book cover as it brought out my girly side as an adult woman. The handbag is a raised 3D style on the front of the hardback.

I liked the ending. Of course, that will not be revealed.

I am yet to buy the prequel now, unless I can convince someone to buy it me as a present..

4.0 out of 5 stars love it!!!!!!!, 26 Jun 2014
Anyone who loves Sex and the City will love this.... Carrie before Jimmy Choo's!!!!

Just downloaded book 2 can't wait to see what Carrie gets up to next!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly slow, 29 May 2014
I was expecting a lot from this book because of the series.

I read all the time, however this one this very testing.

Not half as good as I thought

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy, 4 April 2014
Loved this book so much can't wait until I get the second book of it 👌 couldn't stop reading 😊

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 28 Feb 2014
Really good book, loved the characters and bought the second book straight after, Bushnells makes sure not to leave out any details and connects it well with sex and the city too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Feb 2014
When I recieved my item I got it on the date that it was due and it was in next to new condition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 13 Feb 2014
If you're a huge SITC fan you might like this, but I didnt think much of it. For me it just felt like a way to squeeze more money out of the franchise (which it is, really)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Feb 2014
A great gift for my daughter who is an avid sex and the city fan. Hope it is a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A girly book, an easy read, 9 Jan 2014
Got this to read on a plane, I randomly bought Summer and the City last year and really enjoyed it. I read this in a couple of hours which was perfect as I had an early flight and had to stay awake all night. As I was by myself, Carrie, Sebastian and others very good company and although I quite liked some aspects of this book, I don't think it's as good as its sequel. I know most people don't agree with my opinion, but I just enjoyed her more independent life, New York and the SATC girls more than her small town life. This isn't too deep, but is a cute, girly, easy read.

The Carrie Diaries (The Carrie Diaries, Book 1)
The Carrie Diaries (The Carrie Diaries, Book 1) by Candace Bushnell (Hardcover - 29 April 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01