Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2011
I've read all of Lauren Weisberger's previous books and this was definitely my least favourite. I like her other books for their wit and satire but this lacked both. The story was generally slow and revolved around Brooke being left at home while her husband became a pop star. Nothing much happened and there was no big confrontational event that it had been leading up to. However, if you take it out of the context of her other books, it contains more emotional depth and the characters are easier to identify with.
on 19 September 2011
i loved 'devil wears prada' and 'everyone worth knowing', so was very excited to get this and didn't even wait to the paperback, which i normally do to save some cash. big disappointment!! as pointed out by other reviewers, the heroine of this book is dull and self-centered, opposite to strong, career-focused, witty heroines in her past books. this character spends almost the whole book at home, being progressively annoyed/upset/angry at her husband for finally getting his own career and succeeding. also, every 5 pages she needs to have a drink to feel better/relax/comfort/console herself/etc, i didn't notice at the beginning but on the third half i realised she spends the whole book like this. not a very healthy role model, whiny boring lady. also boring message: it's hard to be famous. oh well. maybe famous people who read it will enjoy. us normal people.... don't think so. hope next book will be more like the previous.
on 15 August 2015
Having read Devil Wears Prada I was excited to read this book.....but very very very disappointing. I'm shocked that so few people have given this one star, I thought there would be lots. The plot is really lacking. Why should we care about the female lead character and her other half. They're super dull. I'm about 100 pages in and literally nothing has happened. The characters are really boring and shallow.

Also the endless descriptions of what each person is wearing, how their hair is done, the labels they're sporting and the places where they hung out bored me to death. Every other page features a full analysis of such things rather than where the story is going.

My main feeling about this one is 'cut to the chase'....but it never does so in short, I'm giving up 100 pages in.

A slow, boring, vacuous read.
on 25 September 2010
Brooke Alter has been married to Julian Alter for five years and their relationship is going great. Julian is a struggling musician, desperate to someday make it big in the music world, while Brooke works two jobs to make sure Julian can carry on making his music. When Julian finally gets the chance to make an album, neither Brooke nor Julian expect just how much their life will change when Julian's album gets the go-ahead, closely followed by trips to L.A and hotel stays in the Chateau Marmont, tours across America and more chat show appearances then you can shake a stick at. Suddenly, Brooke's world and everything she's known is turned upside down as the bad side of celebrity begins to show and Brooke and Julian are suddenly hounded by paparazzi and journalists. When a compromising photo surfaces, Brooke and Julian's marriage is put to the ultimate test, but will they be able to get over what happened that night at Chateau Marmont? And is this new lifestyle really the one Brooke wants?

Last Night at Chateau Marmont is a bit different to most celebrity/fame inspired stories you find in usual Chick Lit novels. For starters, it doesn't paint `celebrity' in the most inspiring light, giving a real and proper look into what fame can do to a couple and secondly, Brooke and Julian aren't people you would expect to become celebrities, not Brooke anyway, and the culture shock she experiences when it turns out that she and Julian are becoming celebrities makes for fascinating reading, because it's a fish out of water experience, as they both come to terms with the fact Julian has indeed made it as a musician after many many years of trying. I don't know how much research Weisberger put into the novel, but she manages to write the Alters' rise to fame very well.

Another surprising factor is that this book isn't about finding love, as Julian and Brooke have been happily married for five years, so the book is more about the celebrity side of things rather than being focused on someone finding `The One'. That's not to say Brooke and Julian don't have troubles as a couple, because they do, even more so when Julian becomes a rock star and has to fly to LA regularly, leaving Brooke behind as she's reluctant to quit her two jobs as she loves both of them. It certainly begins to put a strain on their marriage and then when some compromising photos appear, shot at the infamous Chateau Marmont, it looks as though it may all fall apart for the pair. I liked how their relationship was portrayed, that they did love each other, but that everything that was happening was pulling them in two separate directions. I wasn't completely sure how their marriage would pan out, whether they'd be able to survive everything that happens to them, but I know I wanted them to pull through because, despite everything, Brooke and Julian seem perfect for each other.

Last Night at Chateau Marmont is written really well by Weisberger, and I can't understand why everyone says she's a one-book-pony (if you will) and can't write for toffee because I found the book absorbing and I could barely put the book down once I got into it. The only qualms I had about the novel was the use of the word "baby" which always drives me bananas when used as a term of endearment and the fact that when articles begin appearing in Last Night (a celebrity magazine) quoted from "sources close to Brooke and Julian", we don't actually find out who that was. I have an idea, but there's no real confirmation. Apart from that qualm, I felt everything was tied up nicely and I thought the ending was fantastic. I'm definitely going to be reading Lauren's other novels as she clearly can write a good story and I thoroughly enjoyed Last Night at Chateau Marmont and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easy way to spend an afternoon or evening.
on 18 April 2012
I really enjoyed this book. I had previously read The Devil Wears Prada (which is by the same author) but this was much more enjoyable!!! I loved that the characters were not stereotypical and all have quite a depth to them. The story is about a girl who is fairly unglamourous, whose boyfriend makes it big in the music industry. Because of this she is thrown into a world of celeb that she is just not suited for! I really felt for both characters at times. The story line was fairly light hearted but got quickly serious when it needed to- i liked this as it made the story a higher level of chick-lit!

This is a great book to take on holiday or to just de-stress with.
on 21 November 2010
This is the first book I have read by the author and I don't tend to read much fiction books. However this was a great and easy read. I could not put this down. I would read another one of her books.
on 21 December 2010
I love Lauren Weisberger very much as an author; her other books have been very good, but I find that this one lacks the same "star quality" that the others do. The story in itself paints a good picture of what it's like to be married to someone who suddenly gets thrust into the spotlight all over America, but the main crux of the story (as painted by the blurb on the back) takes time to come through.

Don't get me wrong: this is still a good book, but if you're looking for a good Lauren Weisberger read, I'd recommend one of her other books.
on 13 September 2011
having read all of her previous books, had mixed feelings about it as her books have been a mixed bag for me. found it very hard to get into the story and it wasnt that interesting. most of the story follows brooke's hard time dealing with julians new found fame but i think showing his side of the story would have added to the plot. for all its flaws it was a realistic view of how fame can change a very normal relationship and the characters were believeable that you are rooting for them to make it
on 19 October 2010
Loved the book, actually read it within a few days.

Especially prevelant within today's pop star's world.
on 20 October 2010
I now have the full collection of Lauren Weisberger books, and mightily impressive does the shoe collection look! Anyway, this book is a wonderful holiday read. I don't want to give anything away, but this book does not disappoint. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, could they make it work, could their relationship last the fame? Read it to find out. I promise you will not be disappointed!