5.0 out of 5 stars Top man, good easy read if your are a Le Tiss/Saints fan.
I love it cause I love Matt and what he did for Southampton. A fans footballer. Loyalty and the understanding that football is just entertainment and like he said in his testimonial programme How much money do you need to earn in a week. He never lost sight of the fact of why he loved football as a kid.

As a book, footballers aren't the greatest authors but if...
Published 21 days ago by steve underhill

3.0 out of 5 stars "okay"
The autobiography of the Southampton legend, the player who remained the big fish in the small pond that was Southampton.

Published on 11 April 2010 by Nick Brett

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not entertaining, 29 Sep 2010
M. Howell (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)
This book offers an interesting insight into the life of Matt Le Tissier, but I found myself finishing it out of duty rather than a desire to keep reading.

In person, Le Tissier is a vibrant and humourous man. This sometimes comes across in some of the excellent anecdotes - anything about Richard Dryden somehow manages to provoke me into hysterics. However, in general, the book is a little flat.

Those who are familiar with the ghost-writer Graham Hiley will immediately recognise that the book has his stamp all over it. In places that it seems he is trying to paint himself as a hero of the club - reporting in all conditions to bring the latest news to the people. This isn't why people have bought Matt Le Tissier's autobiography. It is hard to imagine Le Tissier himself making these comments about Hiley.

There is also a half-hearted attempt at revealing a scandal. It seems that any footballer's autobiography now needs one, and it's depressing that they've felt the need to gain publicity this way.
Le Tissier clearly has a more of a story to tell than many of the other footballers releasing books these days - although staying at one club and earning only a handful of international caps gives only a limited scope for a good book. Anyone who isn't a Southampton fan is likely to tire of the constant relegation battles, but anyone who has been through them will enjoy the 'inside view'.

Matt Le Tissier's career was magnificent. This book simply doesn't do it justice.

3.0 out of 5 stars "okay", 11 April 2010
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)

This is okay in a very average typical football autobiography sort of way, it will certainly appeal to Southampton fans who appreciate his loyalty and talent, but to general football fans, it has it's moments, but never really rises above 'okay'.

Le Tissier is aware of his limitations but retains a chip on his shoulder about the way various managers have failed to appreciate what he could do. He does have a sense of humour (including self deprecating humour) and chooses not to really lash out the dirt. Interestingly it is other people less then Le Tissier that I found myself more interested in, Jimmy Case, Glenn Hoddle and so on.

So, not bad as a 'read and forget' football book, he was an enigma that never played for a 'big club' (he almost went to Spurs, but his wife of the time didn't want to move) but gave a great deal of pleasure to Southampton fans during some reasonably fallow years. For a true appreciation of the player, I would probably avoid this and buy a dvd of some of his fantastic goals...

5.0 out of 5 stars Top man, good easy read if your are a Le Tiss/Saints fan., 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Paperback)

As a book, footballers aren't the greatest authors but if you love Matt like I do then it's a quick and easy read with some funny anecdotes.

Fond memories like the footballing world will see again as far as a one club player and love of just playing.

One thing I would disagree with that he said. He said never meet your heroes. His hero was Glen Hoddle and things didn't work out between them but my hero is Matt and I've met him and he is such a down to earth, lovely bloke. I think his approach to life is spot on. He comes across as being grateful for being paid for doing something that he loves... and got away with it :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Le God - Unbelievable!!!!!, 27 Aug 2009
G. Fox (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)
I couldn't put the book down. I was a spectator at the Dell during his heyday, watching the amazing goals he could conjure out of nothing and also the way he saved us, almost single handedly from relegation year after year. How the Saints must wish he could still play? The book let's us in on Matty's sense of humour, his thoughts on some of his team-mates over the years, the England situation, his ability to laugh at himself and his thought's on every thing that has taken part at the club over the last 15-20 years.

It might have been a long time coming but it is well worth every penny. If you ever saw Matt play then you, like me will have felt honoured. If you didn't see him play - you don't know what you missed.

One word - LEGEND!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read!, 26 Aug 2009
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)
This is a well-written autobiography by one of football's greatest talents and enigma's. A one-club man throughout his career Matthew Le Tissier lifts the lid on his time at Southampton. There are plenty of anecdotes about former team mates and managers and he pulls no punches when it comes to criticising certain people who occupied both the boardroom and the manager's chair. This is not a life story and Matt only briefly comments about his family and his personal life. No this book is about his playing career with a few chapters about his work for Sky sports and his love of golf. It is also bang up to date as he describes his part in the failed takeover of the Saints by the Pinnacle group. It is a great read with some genuinely laugh aloud moments!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to hear from Le God at last!, 22 Aug 2009
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)
I bought this on pre-order for my other half who NEVER reads books EVER!! he is a massive Le Tissier fan and has a huge knowledge of Saints (like many other fans) as he has supported them since he was a boy. He could not put the book down; our house has never been so quiet for 3 days (except the running commentary I got when he came across lots of interesting stories that he had read). My other half loved the book and the stories, he liked how Matts own humour came over, and considering how much he thought he knew about Saints, Le Tissier and the league he still learnt more than he thought he knew.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories galore!, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)
Before you read further I must declare an interest - I'm a Saints fan who attended almost every home game, and some away, during the whole period that Matt LeTissier was playing for Southampton. I saw all the spectacular goals at The Dell with the exception of the flipped-up free kick against Wimbledon. The hairs on the back of my neck are upstanding at the thought of the two against Newcastle one evening following his recall to the side by Ian Branfoot. A smile comes to my face automatically at the thought of his chip over Peter Schmeical in the 6-2 win (as Matt points out this was NOT the even-more-famous "grey-shirt" game). And as for his goal near the end of that last game at The Dell.... well, I'm lost for words.

Anyway, you will understand that I am fairly biased and Matt was a hero for me from the age of 12 until he retired. So, for someone who rarely buys autobiographies and who reads them even less often (yes, I've bought but not read several biographies), it was quite something for me even to pick this up. But I had to, mainly because in the absence of a video player in our house anymore, I've not watched the "Unbelievable" or "First 100 goals" videos in quite some time and I wanted to trawl back through the memory banks once more.

And what a great trip it was to read this book. It all came flooding back, from arriving at The Dell and taking my place at the back of the terrace, the smell of cigarettes and pies filling my nose and the anticipation building as the players came out onto the pitch. Watching Matt warm up by trying (trying!) to hit the bar from the edge of the penalty area, hitting volleys into the top corner and generally taking the mickey out of our own keeper. Happy days.

That side of things, the memories, the recall etc, were great. But what I didn't really get from this book, with the exception of discovering that Matt himself tried and failed to fix the time of the first thrown in during a game (as part of a spread-betting scam, since reported on the BBC website) and revelations about a club tour to Northern Ireland (hilarious), was much insider stories and gossip. Yes, there was a series of match summaries, and most of his goals were mentioned, most of the memorable games and hatricks etc, and he talked a lot about the comings and goings of managers, but there was very little we didn't already know.

The book was ghost-written by Graham Hiley, who was the chap writing about Saints for The Daily Echo at the time, and who I relied on (in the pre-internet days when Clubcall was simply too expensive to even dial the number) for club news, and the book could have been a heavily abridged version of all the writing Graham did for the newspaper over the years.

It was, however, a very nice, feelgood read for a Saints fan and, I suspect, for fans of sporting autobiographies in general. He doesn't talk about his personal life at all, really, and for me this is a relief. The personal life bits are generally why I don't like biographies.

So my advice to any Saints fan is BUY IT!!! It's not a particularly difficult read and, once all the memories start flooding back, you won't want to put it down. Plus it has some very, very funny moments.

Thanks Matt for all the good times, your goals are the markers by which I keep my memories or being a teenager in order. Happy, happy days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best book title ever?, 21 Aug 2009
Scottish Footie - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)
Wonderful story of one of the greats of the game, sadly a bit forgotten outside of Southampton. It's amazing to see just how far the Premiership has come since Le God's heyday in the 90's. And I'm not saying that's a good thing.

The stories are hilarious, too. I'd recount a couple of the better ones here, but the folks at Amazon probably would pull the review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Le God, 20 Aug 2009
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book which is an amazing reflection of Le Tissier's career. I would recommend it to any football fan. I loved reading it and will probably read it many more times.

5.0 out of 5 stars bought for a sick friend, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Taking le Tiss (Paperback)
I got the book for a friend in hospital as he is a fan. He thought it was excellent reading.

Taking le Tiss
Taking le Tiss by Matt Le Tissier (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)
6.29