This is a brilliant story of how determination can get you what you want, but mostly of just how wonderfully kind people are all around the world. This story really inspired me with the idea that we are all one people on this Earth despite our differing circumstances. We all
Published on 3 Jun 2009 by E Stanway

ROSIE SWALE POPE's remarkable achievement is admirable.

The fundamental purpose of Rosie's trip, together with her almost incredible endurance, an eternal optimism, and her own unswerving faith in the goodness of all and everything - human, animal and spiritual - keeps her going. As it does the reader too, actually.

But what a disappointing effort...
Published on 17 Oct 2009 by Bic

3.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable feat (feet) by Rosie; shabby effort by HarperCollins, 17 Oct 2009
Bic (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes: 5 Years, 29 Marriage Proposals and 53 Pairs of Shoes (Paperback)
ROSIE SWALE POPE's remarkable achievement is admirable.

But what a disappointing effort has been presented us by the publisher. Rosie's trip ended in late-August 2008; her story is published just the following May - and it shows. The proof-reading is excruciating; the editing shameful: could she not have been advised professionally to ease up a little on the Thank you everyones and persuaded to include more practical interest and detail?

And where are the MAPS? For goodness' sake: this is essentially a TRAVEL account!

Let us hope the title wins a reprint. A considered reprint.

Verdict: Five out of five for Rosie; one out of five the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful of book of true life human kindness right around the world!, 3 Jun 2009
suffer the same diseases and in particular Cancer is a world-wide issue. All around the the world people are battling and surviving and so many of these still have the compassion to help a stranger. You will enjoy and be moved by this charming and passionate book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly inspirational...., 21 July 2009
Ms. P. H. Clague "Pauline C" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
I dont normally put reviews on, but this is an exception to the rule!

I read a clip of this book in Runnersworld and had to buy it. Rosie is without doubt one of the most inspirational people I have ever heard about, and has spurred me into running again. I could not put it down it was that good!

The hardships she shared, but more importantly the friends she made were awe inspiring.

She really must be made a Dame and nothing less!

Thank you Rosie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Laugh or cry, 12 July 2010
There is no doubt that this is an amazing feat of human endurance but I was completely non-plussed by the book. The travelogue extends from gushing accounts of the banal to... well absolutely nothing for thousands of miles. We know nothing of this woman from reading the book apart from a dogged determination to put one foot in front of the other, endlessly. She seems to have no observation skills at all, no thoughts worth recording (apparently) and even less to comment on. Who is Rosie? I have no idea. WHo advised her to write this? They need shooting. An amazing journey over five years covering thousands of miles of inhospitable terrain, battling ferocious elements and encountering isolated peoples living on the edge of survival and the book is about the length of an average pamphlet! This is woeful.
I'm left with so many questions. Is Rosie courageous or selfish? Brave or reckless? Where are the stories of the many people who selflessly made this journey possible? How DO you get a pair of running shoes to such remote places with such amazing timing and how was that done? And why am I not informed? I could write more about a jog around the local park - infact this review might be almost as long as the book. Save your money. There is no insight here and the prose and editing are appalling. Sadly you will probably end up irritated by this remarkable woman rather than admiring her!!

Additional: I think the problem with the positive reviews of the book is that they focus on her physical achievement and not the book as a literary work. This is supposed to be a BOOK review and not a review of Rosie Swale Pope. As I have said, her achievement in the journey was remarkable but the book is just remarkably bad.

2.0 out of 5 stars I've started, so I'll finish, 15 Dec 2012
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
There is a temptation to mark this book based on Rosie Swale Pope's persistence with such a long and arduous journey on foot around the world. Had I done that this would be a 5* review but I had to review the book not her effort. Her journey was not a temperate zone circumambulation of the world but one primarily in the snowy north, an arctic trip across northern europe, Siberia, Alaska and northern Canada. She started her journey in Wales and stuck to it until she eventually got back to her start point. No doubt she was tempted to give up at times, though that's not clear from her narrative. I know I was tempted to give up reading the book many times but felt I should complete it.

Along the way though I learned very little about what was going on within Rosie's mind and precious little about the landscapes through which she progressed, apart from there being a lot of snow. Those parts of the journey when she must have been travelling on spring or summer days do not occupy much of the narrative, such as it is. Huge chunks of territory transited through get no mention. Mind you I had to resort to an atlas to try to trace some parts of the route because for all the distance covered there is not a single map, not even a sketch map in the 300+ pages of this book.

The book could be likened to a long, very long, oscar acceptance speech in which she thanks again and again the wonderful, fabulous, special, outstanding, fantastic, amazing ..... people who help her along the way. It is of course right and proper to show appreciation for kindnesses but someone, somewhere in Harper Collins should have drawn the line and said enough gush is enough - focus on the journey. Describe the places you saw.

Rosie was doing this trip to raise awareness of and funds for prostate cancer charity. Her son James maintained a website for her followers and supporters though there is not a hint anywhere in the book of how much her effort may have raised. She was well-supported by a team of deep-pocketed sponsors and she deserves 10 out 10 for her endurance to the end. I too endured to the end but it was hard going.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a little Run around the world, 9 July 2009
S. D. Pickett "Sylvia pickett 'book maven" (Steyning Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
Rosie just wants you to keep turning the pages of her amazing book about her epic expeditions.I say expeditions and not in the singular, as this book has so many 'mini' ones!Such a brave lady! She has done it for a great cause too. Well done Rosie!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing woman, terrible book, 19 Feb 2013
I followed Rosie's travels in the media and remember the day she completed her 5 year run. Her story is sad - losing her dear husband - but inspirational and I'm full of awe and admiration for her tenacity.

However, with the exception of the first chapter, this book is dire; one of the worst travelogues I have ever read. Rosie's editor and publisher should have been sacked for allowing the story of this tremendous journey to be told in such poor prose. The writing style is stilted, and - as others have said - simply does not flow. I gave up reading just past halfway as I could not relax into the scattergun approach to storytelling the editor has used. There are no asides, no anecdotes, just a machine-gun rattle through the days.

Call me a cynic, but equally as unbelievable is that everyone is 'so nice': locals stop their trucks to hand over donations to a young man in a wheelchair and his partner; diplomats press cash into Rosie's hand; even border crossings are straightforward. That's not to say that I would want to read about a lone female being threatened hither and thither by scary foreigners, but without those dark moments there's no opportunity to empathise with Rosie, to see how she copes with the constant tiredness, the lack of company, the frustration of language barriers and the sheer human challenge of running so far. If Rosie found herself in some dark places during her travels, we're not party to those emotions.

Very disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 9 Nov 2009
Natasha Long "GeekygirlUK" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on a whim due to the title and a brief synopsis, as it is not my usual genre. The simple conversational tone made it a very easy read. The story itself is impressive and inspiring. The story is more about the people the author met during her run rather than the hardship of the run itself, and I think another two books could be written from the stuff that is not included. As a Londoner, I generally find myself quite down on people as a whole - city life does not generally lend itself to selflessness and altruism. But in this book I read about people from all over the northern hemisphere going out of their way to help a stranger. While the author doesn't delve into deeper stories from most of her acquaintances, or even give masses of detail about the amazing sights she saw, you gain an image of the beauty, fortitude and humility of the people and places she encountered along her way. If you are feeling a bit down on life this book might just raise your spirits.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 13 Jun 2009
C. Smith - See all my reviews
A really moving book, I couldnt put it down. Really shows the kindness of everyone around the world. I would recomend to anyone as its so gripping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish there was more, 10 Sep 2011
SMR (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted to read this book to try and understand why someone undertakes such a (to me) daunting and dangerous journey. I think I got some answers to that question as she talks about those things in the book and how she manages fear.

I also love reading about other countries, cultures, people. It that respect I found the book incredibly interesting but wanted more details about some of the people she met, places she walked through etc. It's a shame the journey had to be condensed to fit into one book, I would have loved more. As someone else mentioned, it would have been good to have had maps in the book showing the route. But that said, it's a great read and I'd recommend it if you want to read about someone with tremendous courage, stamina and love for family and friends.