on 9 November 2010
Russell writes just as he speaks, hilariously over the top but very evocative! His style is brilliant and the anecdotes are hilarious but personally I found his first autobiography which documented his life before the fame to be a bit funnier. Never the less, fame seems to have equipped him with some very surreal stories and it's still refreshingly honest. Whilst I would recommend this book for fans, I would recommend his first 'booky wook' for everyone!
on 3 November 2011
I am not a fan of Russell Brand so it was a surprise that I, firstly, read My Booky Wook and secondly, really enjoyed it. So I was looking forward to the next installment with My Booky Wook 2. But God it is awful. Long, overwritten sentences. While noted for his flights of the fanciful here they just drag on and on. His listing of his sexual exploits, while no doubt entertaining for him, are relentless and a bit dreary leaving a nasty taste in the mouth. The humour of the first book seems to be missing here. I found myself skipping chunks until I finally gave up altogether. It is a book for the diehard fan only.
on 18 August 2011
I would have considered myself a "fan" (not in the fanatical sense, mind) of Russell Brand but was honestly disappointed by this sequel.

I liked his style of writing in the first book and felt it was very humble, honest and candid.

This book starts off with his dalliance with Kate Moss where he portrays her as a goddess.
I didn't really get it. (Possibly, because I never understood the fascination with her, so it tainted my view at the start)

He seems more self indulgent in this. I have been to most of his U.K shows, so already felt I lived the journey with him i.e all his media scandals of late - his sudden catapault to Hollywood fame etc. It is what he has lived through so what do I expect? This side of him is already mentioned in his shows etc so there wasn't much new or personal as the title suggested.

Or, maybe I just view him differently now and I am not so intrigued.

If you like and "get" Russell, then don't build your hopes up.
on 30 November 2010
I wanted to like this book. I really did. But it is simply awful. Boring, incoherent, and, quite frankly, a complete waste of time and money. Stay far away. I wish I had.
on 17 January 2011
Read BookyWook and loved it... full of mischief and daring do. So when I received part 2 for Christmas I couldn't wait to get rid of the in-laws and get down to business.

Much to my chagrin, Russell had become something of a careerist. He name drops without sharing the experience or interesting musings - fearful, I suspect of upending his career. But that sadly kills the book for me... after all it is pushing the limits that leads to excellence.

This is more a cuppa with a soggy biscuit.

Sorry Russell...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2010
I have not read My Booky Wook, so I can't compare the two books. However I enjoyed Booky Wook 2. It starts off as a jumbled mess, but starts to find its feet around Chapter 3. One problem is that you feel that Russell's original draft was too short, so he pads out the book by quoting funny jokes he's made to other people or that they have made to him. However it remains a very entertaining book with some genuinely laugh out loud moments - particularly an anecdote near the end when he's seducing a woman that Puff Diddy put him onto, which had me in tears of laughter. I liked the way he doesn't take himself too seriously, poking fun at his own hair and clothes (including the perils of wearing four belts when you meet Keith Richards).

Reading this book won't give you much insight into Russell's life. When he goes to make films, he doesn't tell you much about the filming experience or what anyone was like. There's no depth or introspection. However I did enjoy his story about going slowly crazy playing soccer in his room for three months during the filming of Forgetting Sarah Marshall - and about having to ride a horse in that movie. Famous people get name checked regularly. Adam Sandler is a good guy who has helped him out. A fling with Kate Moss was the highlight of his life. He hero worships Morrissey, adores Johnathan Ross and Noel Gallagher and actively dislikes Sir Bob Geldof.

If there's a theme throughout it's his womanising and I liked the way he's very honest about his flaws and about how he seduces people. For example when one woman rebuffs him saying that she's heard about him, he is undeterred and comments: "I have a good speech for this kind of approach". Along the way he occasionally meets strong and ballsy women like Lucy Lawless and Juliette Lewis and senses that maybe there could be a woman who would get him to give up this crazy lifestyle. Finally, in the final chapter he meets Katy Perry and the way he describes her is very sincere and moving. I hope their marriage lasts because he certainly is crazy about her.

So it's a fun read, pretty forgettable but very good entertainment. However if you don't find him funny, steer clear, because there's nothing here that will change your mind.
on 19 July 2015
Yeah ok to start with then like anything to do with him it gets a bit hard to swallow .. He loves to talk ( of course ) and wants you to believe and like him as he pretends to be a poor hard working class lad as he types this manuscript from his 5.3 million pound house in Notting Hill and it starts to grind my gears personally .......
on 4 January 2011
The book came in good time for Christmas despite my ordering it quite late.
V good service. Good read.
on 11 November 2010
I'm rarely moved to comment on a book, this one being an exception. I expected more from Russell. Booky Wook was hilarious, Booky Wook 2 was mostly about how many women Russell could bed (and not even in any interesting detail) while he re-used old jokes VERBATIM. And it's great he has finally found his life long love, but the few, fairy-tale pages which told the story inspire groans and eye rolling. Save your dosh, wait till it comes out in paperback if you MUST have it.
on 9 November 2010
This book is even better than the first i was really skeptical as where the first book left off i didn't think he could write an entertain gin book about 5 or so years but i am happy to be proven wrong, Russell is the king of comedy and has written an amazing sequel to the first bookie wook