Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on 26 November 2010
Unfortunately, Brand's sophomore effort in the literary cum autobiography world is lacking what his debut book offered: original raw funnyness. While Booky Wooky the first kept me glued to the pages and laughing throughout, Booky Wooky 2 was full of stale old jokes I had seen him perform live or uninteresting celebrity stories. The first book, about a young Essex lad, and his trials and tribulations along the way to fame, was full of interesting stories and gambits we would never have otherwise known, whereas half of this book seemed to be about the Andrew Sachs scandal.

The problem really can be attributed to the slim comedian dilemma. In the recent semi-flop 'Funny Men', Jonah Hill's chubby character tells Seth Rogen's mediocre sized character that the reason he is not having success as a stand-up comic is that he has recently lost a lot of weight and in essence, people prefer to see fat losers on stage and laugh at them/with them. At a recent local stand-up gig I attended, a comedian opened with: 'I was bullied at school. How else do you think I started doing this?' Certainly, Russell's initial stories of awkward and sometimes abject failure - like the one where he chucked that prostitute's phone against the wall and then felt really bad - had a more intrinsically funny base for comedy than stories of how he nailed the most desirable woman in the UK.

And furthermore, the first book was all about a promiscuous junkie essentially, not taking life too seriously. This book, however, had almost every sentence (certainly the end of every chapter) punctuated with the fact that Russell was waiting for 'the one'. Sad as it is to say it because of course he deserves his happiness, but a successful monogamous Russell Brand is simply less funny.
on 17 January 2011
Read BookyWook and loved it... full of mischief and daring do. So when I received part 2 for Christmas I couldn't wait to get rid of the in-laws and get down to business.

Much to my chagrin, Russell had become something of a careerist. He name drops without sharing the experience or interesting musings - fearful, I suspect of upending his career. But that sadly kills the book for me... after all it is pushing the limits that leads to excellence.

This is more a cuppa with a soggy biscuit.

Sorry Russell...
on 22 August 2015
Save yourself some money & borrow it from the library :D
on 14 November 2013
I'm a huge fan and maybe this is what ruined the book for me. 97% of the stories told in this book have been mentioned in interviews or his standup. There was no real insight into his celebrity life and why it's not all that appealing.
on 11 November 2012
i tried a sample of this book and again like the sample of the first book i attempted to read(but miserably failed as it wasnt remotely interesting) i mean not even finishing a sample is shocking which just proves how boring it was. the only reason i gave it two stars was because the start was just a shree more interesting than the first one. so to sum this book up : it is a fail!
on 19 January 2015
Bought as a present as I thnk this man is a twat.
on 14 August 2014
ok
on 11 March 2015
I liked R B's first Booky Wooky and a lot of other stuff he does, but this is just too zany for me to follow and I didn't find it funny, informative, challenging, or inspirational.
on 6 February 2015
Like Russels style normally. This book is dull though. Boring.