Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2007
An excellent book, both as a serious study and as a recipe book. I had known for years that modern bread was the main reason for my and other people's ills but had no scientific proof. No longer do my friends and family look on me as freak who cannot eat modern bread. Home baking tastes wonderful and can be healthy - so don't stop with bread.
on 26 February 2011
Okay, I'd better justify the lack of stars in my rating given that this is obviously a very popular book!

It just wasn't for me really. There is some very useful information in this weighty book, but it seemed as though it didn't follow much of a logical order. I lost track of the amount of times I had to flick back and forth looking for a snippet of information.
My second gripe was that I was almost halfway through the book before we actually got down to the nitty-gritty of baking bread. Now, I'm not knocking the first section. Once again there is some very good information in there - but I wanted a bread making book, not a science lesson. It's a good lesson, but not a lesson that I wanted. I believe there is no substitute for getting in there and feeling your way around. The feel of the dough can tell you an awful lot once you're used to handling it and that will only happen if you get your hands in there. It won't happen if you're busy reading a polemic on the Chorleywood demons.

If you want to read a lot about the background to the commercial bread making process, this might be the book for you. However, it wasn't the book for me and I shall stick with Richard Bertinet who simply showed me how to make the bread, and then let me get on with it.
on 2 March 2009
Read this and you will NEVER eat shop bought white bread again. Perhaps more importantly, you will understand why you will not eat shop bought white bread again. Get cracking on making REAL bread. To not purchase this book is to endanger your health
on 6 April 2008
As a complete novice to breadmaking, I was stunned by this tour de force. I had not realised that we are eating such rubbish in the average sliced pan. This book shows how ordinary mortals can bake delicious and nutritious bread from two ingredients (flour and water) using time as the third ingredient. Along the way, the author decries the state of modern UK bread - soft gooey pap which reflects the sickening influences of the nanny state and big business. I have followed the recipes and produced bread which is consistently devoured by my three kids. They take three slices each into school for lunch every day and are mobbed by their friends for 'a taste'. In a way this is a sad book because it highlights how much we have lost in our rush to make fast cheap food for the masses. On the other hand it is a clarion call for revolution! If I can bake bread, anyone can. I urge all readers of this review to buy this book, for its fascinating history, biochemistry, biology and political content... and most of all for the tasty bread it teaches the reader to create. Well done for a heroic effort Mr. Whitley!
on 26 September 2006
It's a really good book, clearly illustrated and thoughtfully written. As a professional photographer I appreciate the photographs, as a first time novice baker who just produced his first Sourdough Rye bread by following Andrews clear and well explained instructions, I will appreciate the book for its recipes. I have posted a longer review with images on Cumbria's on-line food magazine, called [...] it covers the food scene in Cumbria as well as producers like the Organic Village Bakery originally set up by the author Andrew Whitley.
on 20 July 2009
Thankyou Andrew Whitley!!! After many years of avoiding bread at all costs I have read this book and now understand why I can eat French bread ( and now of course my own) and not English bread. I have no more digestive difficulties ... and am enjoying my own sourdough .. it's delicious. The author runs courses and was delightfull in advising me on the phone... thankyou. I have since reading this book purchased 2 more for my mother and my best friend... HIGH praise indeeed!
on 9 October 2006
This book is essential for those who have an intolerance to modern, shop bought bread. Andrew will open your eyes to the great experiment that the Chorleywood process is on the general population without thought to nutrition.

If you value your food, and wonderful bread in particular, then this is the book for you. Buy it.
on 15 October 2012
Very informative book not the book if you are looking for recipies to start right away. You really have to read it through before starting the recipies. Its almost like two books - one with a little history of mass produced bread which I find very interesting - and the other with the recipies. I'm still ploughing my way through all the technicalities which have gone on to making our supermarket bread - I now make bread rather than buy. Glad I bought the book but also bought River Cottage Bread book and you can get started more easily with than one. However if you are a keen budding breadmaker and are really interested in the whole process, then I would buy this book for your collection and reference.
on 3 August 2015
A well written book indeed. Outstanding use of the language and some useful information; particularly interesting is the chapter that talks about what goes into modern bread. However, the book is rather prolix, no illustrations, ergo tedious. I wouldn't buy it again.
on 22 September 2009
This book clearly explains how bread is manufactured for the mass market and why more and more people are stopping eating it. When you start baking your own bread it not only tastes better but feels better. My children bought me this book for fathers day and we have not bought a loaf since and have recommended this book to many friends. Once you get organised it is easy to fit into your day. you can speed up or slow down the process to suit yourself.