4.0 out of 5 stars Nice nosh!
I found this cook book to be a little schizophrenic, in that many of the main courses have 'bloke' written all over them - beef with black beer mustard, and braised oxtail with beer and red wine - and yet many of the puddings are very delicate, and dare I say, even a bit girly in approach - lemon verbena cake, honey madeleines, and rhubarb and ginger syllabub...
Published on 5 Jan 2010 by RM/TM

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Ok....
Published on 21 Jan 2010 by Basement Cat

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Ok...., 21 Jan 2010
Basement Cat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an obsessive buyer of cookery books, I was pleased to get my hands on this one. I have his desert book which I really quite like, but this one isn't up to that standard. Looking through this, I could'nt find anything I wanted to cook, until I reached the 'Winter' section at the end of the book. It all seems a bit bland when compared to, say, Nigel Slater or the River Cottage books, and really isn't my thing at all. But that's just me, and I'm sure that if you like watching him on the telly, you will love this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic cooking in well presented book, 21 Jan 2010
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first cookbook by James Martin and I don't have much more to say than is in the title. If you're the type of cook who already has bookshelves groaning with cookbooks then there isn't much to tempt you here.

If you're more of a beginner, building your repertoire and your cookbook library, then this might well find a place. The recipes are organised by season, and cooking with seasonal produce is what we all need to do nowadays. The recipes are well presented, clearly written and explained. I also like that it has a very British feel

All in all though this book fails one test. It's not the type of cookbook you want to read in bed - it's just not inspiring enough or evocative enough in its language. But in the kitchen, it's easy to follow and will do the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the last books, but not back to top form, 24 Dec 2009
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm still a big fan of the early James Martin cookbooks, but I've found that the more famous he gets the less useful his books. His last two were charity shopped within days of purchase. This one will last a bit longer.

The book is advertised as 'the recipes James Cooks when he's not in front of the camera'. If that's true can't have a minute to spare to wash those cars he brags about. Generally the recipes aren't the type you can just throw together from what's in the cupboards, you'll need a shopping list and time to plan ahead (unless things like Japanese Panko beadcrumbs, Peroche goats cheese and cod cheeks are on your weekly shop).

On the plus side, the recipes by season layout is lovely (but not as lovely as the The River Cottage Year), and the recipes do re-invigorate some routine dishes. Admittedly the recipes I've tried so far have come out a little wonky (generally a bit watery or unset, and I've needed much longer cooking times), but this has been the case with all his later books. Use the recipes as ideas rather than concrete guidelines.

NB For me James Martin always uses way too much cream, but I've found using only half the amount (and sometimes substituting for soya cream)doesn't adversely affect the dish.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but nothing special, 22 Dec 2009
Pardo (Kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit that I'm not a fan of James Martin on TV - I'm firmly in the Fearnly-Wittingstall camp. However, I thought I'd give this a go. I have to say I was underwhelmed. The book is perfectly pleasantly designed and produced, albeit in a generic TV-celebrity-chef-fulfilling-his-contractual-obligation kind of a way, and some of the recipes look OK but none filled me with an instant desire to make them, and I can't imagine any of them becoming regulars on our dinner table.

If you are a fan, or need to give a gift to someone who is, then this book might be worth buying but otherwise I think there are plenty of more inspiring food writers out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice nosh!, 5 Jan 2010
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

There is a heavy emphasis on using seasonal produce (the book being divided into four chapters named 'Winter', 'Spring', 'Autumn' and 'Summer'). The winter recipes include obvious festive fare such as figgy pudding, Christmas pudding ice-cream, and breaded turkey with honeyed parsnips. The summer ones are more of a surprise, oddly incorporating a number of hot soups, such as Little Gem lettuce soup, and sweetcorn and crab.

Overall, my favourite bits are probably the desserts (James Martin is renowned for these, as you will know if you've caught the TV show 'Sweet') - and in addition to the dishes mentioned earlier, you can also find the recipes for such delights as coffee cake with pistachio cream filling, Welsh cakes with poached pears, and good old-fashioned baked custard tart.

The book is printed on heavyweight matt paper, with a matt cover and has a quality feel. I would find it hard to think of a cook book that better exemplifies the cuisine of Britain, so it gets an extra half star just for that 8-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Big food, big flavour, big ingredients list, 24 Nov 2010
Mark Thomas "physics_mark" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
James Martin's kitchen must be enormous. He must also own the world's largest spice rack to house the myriad extras that go into his meal recipes in My Kitchen.

The book is beautifully presented and contains, as is essential in this day and age, sumptuous and mouth-watering photographs of the end product. The cooking instructions themselves are clear and direct, and while grouping recipes together by their seasonality is not novel nowadays, it's still a good idea.

I had expected the book to contain a collection of simple, hearty, traditional fare associated with Martin's Yorkshire roots, and those ideas are definitely there, but in the minority and often combined with hard-to-source additional tweaks, which could put many readers off. The problem that the casual cook has with using recipes like these is that you are often left with a jar of esoteric spice flavouring that you have no idea what to do with next.

There's little in the way of straightforward meals in this collection which is a pity, as the simpler suggestions are seriously tasty but require a significant investment of time. This, combined with the rarity of some of the ingredients spoils what would otherwise be an excellent recipe book with results as pleasing to the palette as any other top TV chef's.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful collection - Martin's best yet, 28 Jan 2010
James Cameron "Artist / Filmmaker / Nerd" (a world of my own) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Kitchen (Hardcover)
James Martin's books came to my attention in the form of James Martin's Great British Winter which is now in sleeves in a ringbinder as the spine gave way from the almost daily use.
"My Kitchen" continues the Martin format by grouping the recipes in themes - in this case spring, summer, autumn, winter, and finally sauces, soups & stocks. And as a former professional chef myself, I can say these are all excellent recipes, and many of them have already been put to good use.
What makes this even more impressive from my point of view is the way Martin takes good, honest recipes and just gives it a slight twist and improved edge which turns any meal into a fest for all the senses. All in all, this is collection of recipes that prove that cooking can be fun and rewarding.
If you spend any amount of time in the kitchen, or are looking for a reason to do so - this is an absoulte must.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic easy recipes, 11 May 2014
This review is from: My Kitchen (Paperback)
The only problem with the recipes was, they are some easy to prepare and cook our friends keep calling round to have another of James, excellent meals cooked by my wife,I then have purchase more great wines, great recipe book by a very good chief~~~~~

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book aswell, 6 April 2014
This review is from: My Kitchen (Paperback)
what can i say another great book by James,and i have cooked recipes from this book and like the saturday kitchen cookbook great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cookbook, 23 July 2013
This review is from: My Kitchen (Paperback)
I'm very pleased with this cookbook, it's got some lovely recipes in and the book although ex library is very well kept

My Kitchen
My Kitchen by James Martin (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01