4.0 out of 5 stars Concepts of death and dying laid out..
Published on 6 Nov 2003 by smallcheerfulshark

3.0 out of 5 stars The ... Soul?
What irks me here is ‘The Buried Soul’ confuses the `soul' as being synonymous with the `spirit' whereas nothing could be further from the truth.

I found one book The Reincarnation of Albino Luciani: In Search of the Human Soul which defines the four dimensions of a human being: body - mind - spirit – soul; four entirely different things...
Published 1 month ago by Tristan Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Concepts of death and dying laid out.., 6 Nov 2003
This book is very refreshing. It's a very scholarly account incorporating a huge variety of evidence about the theory and practice of death from both pre-historical and historical times. What the book doesn't do though, and this is the refreshing bit, is take on face value the kind of easy moral relativism that allows us to deal, apparently non-judgementally, with suggestions of abusive or otherwise unsavoury behaviour in past cultures. This is pretty challenging to those (like me) who have approached archaeological evidence with a sense of interest and wonder, but have maybe shied away from really engaging with the unpleasantness of some of the evidence. But I think the debate really benefits from this kind of unflinching analysis.
His arguments about the developing meaning of death in the very early days of humankind are interesting and, for the most part, convincing. Since he's got a great sense of dramatic tension (rare in writers of decent archaeological books - or at least the ones I've read) it's pretty unputdownable too, without ever straying into the kind of nonsense populist archaeological thinking that he clearly has little time for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 4 Feb 2004
By A Customer
I am an archaeologist, educated to postgraduate level and I have had to plough my way through books as dry as dust to find some nugget of information. Of course, the way you use these books is to look up what you need in the index, go to that page, use what you require and ignore the rest. I picked up Tim Taylor's book, started it at page one and read it through to the end. Hand on heart I can honestly say it is the only archaeology book that I have read from cover to cover. But it's SO much more than about archaeology. Tim covers his own personal reaction to a death in the family in a searingly honest fashion and in trying to make sense of it, takes us on a journey of the relationship between humans and death. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 11 July 2009
This review is from: The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death (Paperback)
Well researched and convincingly argued, Taylor presents an interesting hypotheis on attitudes to death,fertility and afterlife from prehistory through to the present.

Superbly written with the pace of a good novel and challenging throughout, I could not put the book down! It is the first archaeology related book that I have read from cover to cover (and no doubt will re-visit)since Mike Pitts 'Hengeworld' a decade ago.

I thoroughly recommend this publication to anyone interested in archaeology, anthropology or comparative religion although it is accessable to any curious individual.

3.0 out of 5 stars The ... Soul?, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death (Paperback)

Albino Luciani was Pope John Paul I who was murdered in the Vatican in 1978 after only 33 days on the job because of his liberal left wing idealsThe Vatican Murders: The Life and Death of John Paul I. As a young seminarian he would often ask his teachers: "What is the human soul?" He always got the same answer: "It is just something we don't understand."

As a result he concentrated his doctoral thesis `The Origin of the Human Soul' on defining specifically what one is speaking of when one utters the phrase "the human soul." Like most people I used to confuse the spirit with the soul as being synonymous. Now I know the difference between the two - one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

As for `The Buried Soul'? Why read a book about the soul that doesn't tell you what it dealing with?

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death (Paperback)
I'm very much a novice as far as this subject is concerned, but I found this book not only informative but incredibly well-written and engrossing.

ARRAY(0xb6500e70)

The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death
The Buried Soul: How Humans Invented Death by Timothy Taylor (Paperback - 1 July 2008)
11.99