Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2008
Though I have some fairly strong political views myself, I'm not one that's prone to spending a lot of time reading books written by politicians.

But, with the London Mayoral elections coming up, and being no fan of Red Ken myself, I thought it might be worthwhile doing a bit of swotting up on the opposition, and Boris Johnson has always come across as a witty character, if often making jokes at his own expense.

Have I Got Views For You is a collection of old magazine and newspaper articles written primarily for the Spectator and the Telegraph. Whilst some of them must be approaching 10 years old, and yes, are commenting on political situations that now seem to be some distance in the past, his insight into the situations, as well as predictions for the future usually make very interesting reading. With views expressed on a wide range of subjects, it's inevitable that even the staunchest Tory-boy is unlikely to agree with Johnson on everything, but his overall stance on individual liberty, and his criticisms of the current government are often hard to argue with.

This book (or whatever you'd call it) is broadly well written, witty, amusing, and most importantly of all, it always has a point to make - points that are easily digestible, and easy to think through on your own.
on 31 March 2007
Boris is the living proof that the age of the English eccentric is not yet over. These days journalists become politicians and vice versa but no-one has done it with the eccentric humour of Boris. He is enough fun to make one reconsider voting Conservative. He writes with originality, good style and much humour. He is a one off.

The book is arranged topically going from politics to who are the British, Literary Heroes, foreign affairs, personal interviews, manners and morals etc. I found myself longing for the dates and sources to be put by each chapter for the book is not chronological. I think it would have been better arranged chronologically and not by category as the articles span 1995 to 2006.

Highlights are finding his daughter to be Belgian not British, his flight in the Americans' top fighter plane, his horror at the death of a stag together with his defence of hunting and the one piece of British journalism I have read in admiration of Dubya Bush. Boris is a man for clear blue water. If only Cameron was. He confirms to me one reason why I never passed on to the Conservatives approved candidates list. I had more than a whiff of Euroscepticism about me when interviewed in the same hotel as Boris.

I love his self deprecating humour. Why did he agree to go on the TV show from which he got his title? Honest Boris says, a thousand pounds, enough for a family holiday. Have we here that rara avis, an honest politician? He is certainly the only one who is such good fun.
on 21 January 2008
If you enjoy works from Michael Moore, than i am sure you will enjoy this. I purchased this book for a little light reading for the daily commute but immediately found myself engrossed and even missing the stop on the Tube. It is a highly amusing read with many truths in it and it is written in true Boris style. I have not quite finished it but from what i have read so far i would definatelty recommend this to cheer up a rainy day
on 18 May 2015
I do think it is very funny indeed. It also is quite political which I wasn't expecting but maybe the first few chapters focus on that area. It is refreshing to read about politics which is quite a boring subject but with humour too. I didn't realise it was written in Blair times so in some ways it seems slightly dated but also interesting also with the benefit of hindsight.
on 29 December 2006
Despite sitting at extreme opposites of the political scale, I have always felt an affinity with Boris Johnson. Largely beause I used to look like him (I shaved my head to stop looking like him!), but also because we are both bumbling idiots. On television programmes such as 'Have I got News For You', at Tory party conferences or generally in the press, Boris comes cross as being a number 1, grade-A berk. Not a rabid, rascist Tory like some of his fellow conservatives, but none the less, a bumbling, clumsy foot-in-the-mouth eejit. Yet somehow I like the man, and I like his latest literary effort even more.

He has indeed got views for us, presented in short snippets with a humorous air about them. Conservative readers will like his views, leftist readers like me will like his attitude towards Blair, and the politically disinterested will be amused by the simplicity in many cases, of what he has to say. This latest book shows us, beyond all reasonable doubt why such a bad advert for the tories, with his accidental anti-scouser statements and ridiculous bycicle clips has not long been dropped from the team. Deep down, Boris knows what he's all about, and he' not afraid to tell us either.
on 27 September 2008
This book is a collection of article Boris has written elsewhere. I agree with the other reviewer who said it would help the reader for the date to appear next to each article.

I liked Boris' book and the fact that he pokes fun at those who take themselves too seriously. Also his willingness to laugh at himself is refreshing, especially in a politician! It must be difficult for him to being a journalist and simultaneously a politician, for him to not lose his objectivity but he walks this tightrope fairly well....and he is willing to criticise the Tories (to an extent!).
on 12 February 2015
Very irritating book. Shows copyrights from a number of years in the copyright section but gives no indication of the date written on the individual article. After a number of them referring to 'last week' that had to be a lot of years ago I was so irritated I threw it away.
on 2 November 2013
Johnson's classical background is very obvious and doesn't always relate to mine! Heavier going than I expected but some parts very entertaining
on 28 May 2014
Just the job for my father, aged 96, who just loves reading about people youger then him and who are also in the news. A good choice.
Great read. Very enjoyable thank you! Highly recommended by a close friend for a "holiday read"!
Regards