5.0 out of 5 stars Last Chance to See - The best money I've spent in ages!, 15 Sep 2009
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
Ok, when a book and a TV series happen at the same time, it really is a chicken and egg situation. Will the book be as good as the TV series and vice versa?

Well, I needn't have worried. Carwardine's style covers all the emotions through every page, making you laugh out loud to feeling guilty and somewhat helpless at what a great job, we the human race, are doing to rid our planet of some of the most wonderful wildlife we have.

You feel as if he's sitting next to you as you read his travels with fellow companion Stephen Fry who from being quite the opposite to Carwardine, slowly realises through their journeys together just how fragile and vunerable our animal kingdom has become. From China to the Dem Rep of Congo, animals are becoming extinct and this book exposes their plight and fight against all the odds.

Filled with fantastic photos as well from Carwardine, this is a must book for any wildlife enthusiast

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant companion to the DVD, 10 Dec 2009
Ms. A. Dawe "history lover" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
The TV series was brilliant and so I bought this as well as the DVD for my Dad for Christmas. I'm certain he will love it as he always enjoys these sorts of programmes and he is a huge fan of Stephen Fry. However, as my Dad lives in France he was unable to see the series whilst it was on the BBC.

I really enjoyed the series it was informative and amusing whilst also being a little sad firstly because Douglas Adams is no longer with us and secondly because it really could be the last chance to see some of these fascinating creatures! The book makes a great companion - not too much is repeated and you get a completely different viewpoint. The book is filled with fantastic photographs and is also a great read. (I've already read it before wrapping shhh...)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the original, 13 Jan 2010
A. Walters (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
As a huge fan of the original Douglas Adams/Mark Carwardine collaboration of the same name (Last Chance to See), I had high expectations of the TV series and accompanying book. I was not disappointed.

I loved the original Douglas Adams/Mark Carwardine book because it was entertaining, well written, and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, but highly effective in communicating its message. Mark Carwardine has done what I didn't think possible in that he and Stephen Fry have produced a worthy successor. All my comments about the original can be equally applied to the new book, with the added benefit of some great photographs to accompany the text.

An excellent read for anyone with the slightest interest in conservation. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking good read, 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
I was not expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. It appears on first view a nice little coffee table item BUT the written content was enthralling. Having seen the majority of the programmes I thought it would be much of the same but the lovely way that Mark writes kept me turning pages long after I should've scuttled off to bed. He [Mark] could've come over as all preachy and righteous but he didn't just as a jolly good chap genuinely excited about the environment and saddened by our [human kinds] joint lack of care about our wider world.

Dizoom

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 14 Jan 2010
Last Chance To See with Stephen Fry and Mark Carwardine [DVD] [2009]
Brought the book as a Christmas present. I had seen most of the series and decided to get the book as a gift for my dad. Since reading the book he has been recommending it to all his friends. Well written. He Has asked for the DVD for his birthday. If you did not see the series. Would recommend buying both book and DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars endangered animals, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
This is the second book of the same name and is a 20 year follow up of the first book. Both books have the same author (Carwardine). The first book became a BBC radio series while the second became a TV series of the same name.
Basically the author traveled the world to locate animals that are near extinction (8 in the first book 6 in thec second).
Written with great feeling for animals with a desperate plea for conservation in a section titled-One more thing.
Some excellent pictures from all parts of the world.
The book would have been much better if Stephen Fry had been excluded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 19 Jan 2010
Mrs. C. J. Urie (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my husband for Christmas and it is great value for money and much cheaper than in the shops. I chose the free delivery option and it arrived in less than a week. The book has fantastic pictures and great writing from Stephen Fry and Mark Carwardine. The series was excellent and the book is even better I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy for a long time, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
For anyone who loves wildlife this is a great book. Well written, great photos and laugh out loud moments. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Chance to See (again), 26 Feb 2014
JHvW "JHvW" (Pays Bas, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
Douglas Adams is my thing. I share his view on conservation. Stephen Fry seems to have picked up the baton. Good for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Jan 2014
Mrs. L. Phillips (Kent,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Chance to See (Hardcover)
We watched the series on tv and wanted to re-visit all the places that it had shown us. This book is very interesting.

Last Chance to See
Last Chance to See by Mark Carwardine (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01