4.0 out of 5 stars Comment from a tattooist
Published on 14 Jan. 2009 by G. Faulkes

1.0 out of 5 stars Nursery School Doodles
I don't review products nearly as often as I should, in my opinion. I felt compelled to review this product as it fell far below an acceptable standard. The designs, as other customers have stated, lack creativity, originality, detail and clarity. They are, in many cases, average, irrelevant, recycled, sporadically categorised and poorly presented.

I purchased...
Published 8 months ago by J D Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Comment from a tattooist, 14 Jan. 2009
G. Faulkes "Gina" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tattoo Sourcebook: Pick and Choose from Thousands of the Hottest Tattoo Designs (Paperback)
I feel that this book is a good item to own, for two reasons, if a person is not sure what style they're looking for in a tattoo, this book can help. But also I have people describing to me what they want e.g "...I want a sexy pin up..." "..Well what sort?.." then you can go through the book and show the ones they've selected and ask what kind, edit it to what the person wants etc.

The only down sidfe to this book, is that its full of generic designs, and if your happy to have something out of this book for the rest of your life, just a reminder that :- others who have seen or own this book will most likely have tattoos the same as you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nursery School Doodles, 25 Sept. 2014

I purchased this book quite some time ago. I initially intended it to be used for clients to browse. I am a tattoo artist myself and I can honestly say that I would not feel comfortable tattooing any of these 'designs'.

I have picked this up no more than thrice. Should I run out of toilet paper, this would be the first 'book' that I turn to. Perhaps that would even improve the designs.

A harsh review? Possibly. I feel strongly about this basic compilation of nursery school doodles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, and a MUST for tattoo fans, 22 May 2010
Value for money is excellent, tattoo books with similar pricing will not offer you the same amount of designs. The book is organised into chapters, which vary themselves from being about particular styles such as tribal and body part specific, to individual designs such as butterflys and insects, animals, etc. Not only that, but there are several pages at the beginning of the book giving advice to people who want a tattoo. Not to mention the literally thousands of designs! Caution however; this book is very popular and are all featured online as well, so if you copy a design directly out of the book then expect to share it with others. BUT, the book encourages you to mix designs to create your own, by giving examples on how you can mix certain elements of different designs together, and stresses that this book is for ideas. However, if you're looking for a tattoo with meaning and want some advice on symbolism within/outside of tattoo culture it's not the best. Each chapter begins with a very brief introduction into historical context as well as what the design means in tattoos, but because each chapter is so broad it's a very rushed or generalised summary, but it recognises this and cautions that you have to do your own, careful research. Very much recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the range, 22 Jan. 2009
Florence Grealish "butterflylady" (lake district cumbria) - See all my reviews
This is what I call a tattoo book full of different ideas, telling you the whats and know hows. It makes you think about things before you go ahead with things. Its drawings are top of the range and cover both male and female, I've had two already put on very happy with this buy its a must for any one tattooer or just interested

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ideas, 22 May 2009
Mrs. M. A. Day "Mum of 3" (Reading,Berks) - See all my reviews
I have brought this for my Hubbies birthday as he has just had a big back piece done and hinted that I could pay for him to have another Tattoo for his birthday next month.Myself and my 12yr old daughter have had a sneaky look through this book and the pictures are great,some amazing artist around!!! Also the book tells you what each tattoo means or stands for,and also goes into the history of tattoos and ie Tribal,Irish,Fairies,animals ect so there are many to choose from! Also gives you advise ie why have you chosen to have one,where to have it,choosing something of meaning or just because you like it. So I would reccommend to anyone who is thinking of having maybe their 1st Tat to people who are adding more and more to themselves. Would also be a great book to have in a tattoo shop !!!

2.0 out of 5 stars tattoo sourcebook, 14 Feb. 2011
All I can say is most people on here are easily pleased. Fair enough there are quite a lot of tattoos in the book but the pictures are all old school rubbish. There are also quite a lot that are not really relevant to the UK. Lots of usa stuff, like american flags, indians, harley davison etc. I also find most of the tattoos to be too cluttered. You can't really tell what a lot of tattoos are of because too much stuff has been crammed into them. The colouring in nearly all of them is terrible as if they were drawn in the 1950s without much shading and a fair few of the colours have faded. The very few black and white pictures looked ok fade wise but nothing special.

I have read the mammoth book of tattoos aswell as this one and the mammoth book has much better tattoos in it. With over 500 tattoo photos and more up to date stuff and better colouring. I would advise people to buy that instead of the tattoo sourcebook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tattoo Sourcebook, 8 Mar. 2009
G. S. Humphrey "The Humph" (Bishop Auckland, UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very helpfull and easy to use. It is well composed with some very good designs. It is also very informative about the history and meaning behind a lot of styles.Tattoo Sourcebook: Pick and Choose from Thousands of the Hottest Tattoo Designs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 May 2009
Jonathan Baker (London) - See all my reviews
This is such a great purchase. i was looking for some tattoo designs and I got a bargain. If you want a tattoo that is completely original with the intention of gettin inked then this may not be for you but as I was looking for some designs, both old school and new then this is the book for you. I was amazed at how big this book is.... you get what you pay for. If you want a book of designs.........this is for you..! If you want something that doesnt exist then dont buy it. All in all, its a great reference for designs...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flash book yet, 6 Dec. 2008
R. Smith "Ryan" (Uk) - See all my reviews
500+ pages of pure flash images from flowers too devils,
this is the best tattoo flash book i have ever seen.

i would pay 10 times the amount for it.

best buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for tattoo fan's!!!, 25 Mar. 2009
S. Cobb - See all my reviews
As a big fan of the tattoo industry, I bought this book for ideas and inspiration. I was not disappointed!! This sourcebook features everything from traditional heart and arrow designs to modern bio-mechanical art and lots of the increasingly popular Tribal tattoo. Not only does it have pages of impressive artwork, It explains each style of tattoo, it's meaning and the sybolism behind it. For those new to Tattoo-ing it answers some very important questions. So good i'm using it in the design on my next one!!!

Tattoo Sourcebook: Pick and Choose from Thousands of the Hottest Tattoo Designs
Tattoo Sourcebook: Pick and Choose from Thousands of the Hottest Tattoo Designs by The Editors at TattooFinder.com (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2008)