4.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming the fear of greens

Published on 27 April 2009 by justjane

4.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming the fear of greens, 20 Mar. 2009
D. Linton "innerbrat" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
It really is hard for me as a vegetarian, as for some reason a psychiatrist would probably love, I've carried with me a repulsion from the vegetable section of supermarkets; they've never been my favourite parts of the shop and I'm often compelled to breeze right by them. Now I do all my food shopping at Tesco online, I can get past those fears and order vegetables as I want, but the browsing aspect is removed, and food shopping and cooking is not a creative activity for me. So I need all the help I can get in maintaining a varied diet, and was excited at the prospect of a new vegetarian recipe book.

One of the first things I noticed, contrary to expectations: this is not a vegetarian cookbook. Rather, it's an informative reference volume covering a range of vegetable organised by culinary 'type' (roots, brassicas, &c). There are a number of recipes, but many of them are for meat dishes or side vegetables to supplement meat. I did, however, follow a recipe for tomato and red pepper ratatouille, and was incredibly impressed that I could produce something so amazingly tasty.

The few recipes aren't what the book is about, however. More, it is a case-by-case encyclopaedia of how to approach each vegetable; how to buy and cook each one is outlined in the individual entries, and by not being a recipe book it's something more valuable; something to get off the shelf when you're faced with a vegetable and need ideas of what to do with it.

As I've become more and more aware of the good reasons behind buying locally produced produce, and vegetable boxes have caught on as a trend, my curiosity has bee piqued. I don't know that I can afford a weekly box delivered, but I'm intrigued, and this book, that covers recipes I haven't even heard of, has at least put me on the way to the confidence to experiment the weird and wonderful things I might be faced with.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very useful book, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
I turn to this book time and time again. I have a veg box delivered which means that I often get vegetables I am not used to cooking and don't know very much about preparing or storing. The book works a bit like an encyclopaedia of different veg so you can look anything up and find out the basics about it which is essential when you get less common veg in your box. It is worth reading the first section on the vegetable carefully as Sophie Grigson gives lots of tips there on how to cook the vegetable in a quick and tasty ways (so for example stirfry red cabbage with some ginger, soy sauce, garlic and a squeeze of lemon, which incidentally is very good). So when you get your celeriac or swiss chard out you can immediately do something quick and easy with it, just as we all know what to do with the more common carrots or broccolli. After that in each section she will give one or two recipes which have more too them (a swiss chard and potato gratin for example) and uses more substantial other ingredients. Sometimes those ingredients will be meat as this is not a vegetarian cookbook but rather a book on how to make more of your vegetables within the usual "meat and 3 veg" diet. This would be a very useful book for a vegetarian but it does not set out to give you meals that do not include meat, I would say that the book is most useful for people like me who are bored with steamed carrots and broccolli with boiled potatoes and want to do more interesting things with their vegetables. I have found that a combination of this book and my organic veg box has rekindled an interest in vegetables in my family, my husband found vegetables a chore and now positively looks forward to eating them and my two young boys are much more up for the tasty gratins than the plain veg I used to cook. I gather the book is out of print as I write, so i am about to buy a second hand one for my mother who grows her own vegetables and I know would love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 29 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Contrary to the first two reviews I thought this book was fantastic. It doesn't profess to be a vegetarian cookbook and it isn't. It is interesting, informative and beautifully produced with some fantastic photography. The images are beautiful and the recipes are many, varied, and easily adapted for vegetarians. I don't eat much meat and have 3 allottments so for me this is a great book as it features seasonal veg that can be home grown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetable Bible, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
This book contains many excellent and unusual recipes. It's well set out and written with humour. I would recommend this to any one looking for ideas for cooking vegetables.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 27 April 2009
This review is from: The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
I should have listened to the advice of the 2 star review and not bought the book. I have a veg box and was hoping for some inspiration when I can't think how to use the remaining veg. I didn't want recipes for stuffings and accompaniments to other meals, I wanted inspiring veg recipes and didn't feel the book delivered this at all. I found it basic with not enough recipes for each veg, too lengthy descriptions about the veg and nothing to get excited about at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
If you aren't a fan of vegetables, this book may change your mind. It did mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide (Paperback)
Lovely informative book, very pleased.

The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide
The Vegetable Bible: The Definitive Guide by Sophie Grigson (Paperback - 5 Feb. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.41