4.0 out of 5 stars fictional history at its best
I love historical fiction. I enjoy Philippa Gregory for this reason and was looking for something similar when I sent for this.

Published on 12 July 2010 by foxcylady

3.0 out of 5 stars An ambitious novel which rather outstays its welcome
Published on 23 Feb 2012 by Glilla Bear

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars fictional history at its best, 12 July 2010
foxcylady - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I was not to be disappointed. I found this book hard to put down, in fact it was an absolute joy to read. It is well written although if I had a reason to whinge it would be that it was written as a first person narrative something which I am not a fan of.

I did read it though and enjoyed it thoroughly, I would recommend to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. My knowledge of history during the period in which this book was set that being James I is sketchy at best I am ashamed to say so I cannot confirm at this juncture how historically correct the facts etc are but it has given me a thirst for knowledge in this area which is always a plus.

I would recommend this book, if you enjoy the type of book written by Philippa Gregory you will enjoy this. I will certainly seek out and read any other books written by Christie Dickason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing read, 31 May 2010
Ms. J. Musgrave (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King's Daughter (Paperback)
Christie Dickason is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, I eagerly await her next novel like a child waits for Christmas. Once again, with 'The King's Daughter', I was rewarded for my patience. This is a truly engaging novel, impossible to put down. Although my knowledge of history of the period largely stops at the Gunpowder Plot, I feel she gives you a good insight into her opinions of the characters of the time. James I is indeed a deeply unhappy and dislikeable man while his daughter, Elizabeth, has you on her side from start to finish. This book is every bit as good as 'The Firemaster's Mistress' and 'The Princepessa', which if you haven't already read, are wonderful books! The only draw back to Christie Dickason's books are that it is impossible not to read them too greedily and so you will have a long wait until the next book arrives. I have no doubt it will be worth the wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read ..., 21 July 2010
Cee-Gee (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King's Daughter (Paperback)
I enjoyed this novel, it was a good historical novel that compares well to those from the likes of Phillipa Gregory.

What I particularly liked about this novel was that it was based on a person that I didn't really know anything about. At school, we went over and over the Tudors, but as far as the Stuarts were concerned, we stopped at Elizabeth I appointing James Stuart to be her heir. I had no idea about his daughter, Elizabeth. This story follows her from her youth hidden away in the countryside, to her teenage years in London where she is presented as a potential marriage alliance to the great powers in Europe. Her family life is fraught and she struggles to keep control of her gossiping Lady's Maids. It was interesting to read about something new to me.

I really liked the novel, it was well written and I finished it very quickly. I would read other novels by Dickason based upon having read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars an interesting gripping story, 9 July 2010
Mrs. A. Wright "wright0072" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book grabbed my interest from page one and maintained this interest throughout the whole story.. So too did my sympathy for Elizabeth began on page one and only heightened as the story went on. It is the story of Elizabeth the eldest daughter of James the sixth of Scotland and first of England. It describes her growing up years until her marriage. Ms Dickason admits there is little information about the 'real' princess but her description of Elizabeth as she navigates safely through the suspicions, conspiracies and threats of treason is truly excellent and awe inspiring. Elizabeth quickly realises that she needs to appear docile and obedient to gain greater freedom and its great to watch her skills developing until she eventually wins and marries the man of her choice. Sadly before this happens she loses many of her loved ones. The high level of research is obvious in every page and Ms Dickasons easy to read style of writing makes even the dullest of politics entertaining. Her facility with words is great, almost painting a picture in words of what and who she describes. Sometimes it is almost too good as I felt I was actually at the execution of four of the gun powder plotters. From her description of Charles the First, it would seem only a mother would love him and she caps this by claiming he ihas "all the failings of the runt in a little of dogs. That says it all
Conspiracies and treasons are so well depicted that I felt I was holding my breath when reading them. I had read about the Civil war before this but hadn't given true thought to the causes. I will now that I have read this book as I realise that Charles was not the only one at fault. The book has also inspired me to find out what happened to Elizabeth after her marriage. It left me wanting more. I loved the book and would recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life was cheap.........................., 22 July 2010
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Kings Daughter' is the story of Elizabeth, the eldest daughter of King James VI of Scotland and I of England. King James does not come out of this story very well, and it is hard to believe that the son of one of historys' sirens (his mother was Mary, Queen of Scots) could be such a louche, unattractive person, both in looks and in personality. He is a complete failure as a parent too, being utterly uninterested in his children, only in their value to him on the matrimonial market. To his children,he is a total embarrassment, and to see their father through their eyes is quite distressing. The story focuses on Elizabeth, and her struggle to escape being used as a pawn by James. She is segregated from her mother, and attempts to make contact with her. For her pains, she is presented with a maidservant, Tallie, who is from Southwark, and has seen life from a much different angle than Elizabeth. There is scandal, intrigue, death, depravity and sorrow in this book. Prince Henry and his subsequent fate is very affecting and many questions remain unanswered. I really enjoyed this book, and would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker of a novel from Christie Dickason, 18 July 2010
Sally Zigmond (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King's Daughter (Paperback)
I have read and loved every one of Christa Dickason's novels to date (and wonder why she is not better known) and 'The King's Daughter' is no exception. The mark, to me, of a good historical novel is that it both effortlessly draws you into another time with its different sensibilities and also whets your appetite to find out more about the period. I always knew that Elizabeth, the daughter of James I was, unknowingly, I have always believed, caught up in The Gunpowder Plot and I knew that she married the Elector Palatine thus becoming the direct ancestor of the Hanoverians, Queen Victoria and our own Elizabeth II but I had never thought what kind of a person she might have been.

In Princess Elizabeth, Christa Dickason creates a delightful character, intelligent, but naive, powerful and yet weak and someone damaged by lack of affection. The author even manages to shed a sympathetic and intelligent light on the character of James I, who described himself as 'the wisest fool in Christendom'.

I am surprised by the review here that says the characters are one-dimensional. I felt totally the opposite. And as for the 'race' question. I don't think it's right to say that Elizabeth's feelings towards Tallie are twenty-first century at all or that everyone else was 'racist'. Mostly the attitude of others was born of ignorance and lack of intelligence. Which is still the case today. And it was great to see Francis Quoynt make a cameo appearance at the end to create a spectacular firework display.

I can't wait to read Christa's next novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 12 July 2010
artemisrhi "artemisrhi" (Forest of Dean) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book, it didn't take long to read as it was so enjoyable.
Although this book was written from the point of view of The King's Daughter - Elizabeth Stuart - daughter of James I of the Gunpowder Plot fame, the book is actually written from a C21 women's perspective. This makes her more understandable and therefore more likeable (in her relationship with her black slave for instance). What the book is very good at exploring is showing how dysfunctional the family/court life of the Stuarts is to our eyes.
A good way into understanding the Stuart era.

3.0 out of 5 stars An ambitious novel which rather outstays its welcome, 23 Feb 2012
Glilla Bear (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King's Daughter (Paperback)
The object of this novel is evidently to evoke the atmosphere of James I's court - one of feverish instability, and in this it is successful. By the time you reach the end, however, you have had more than enough; it is polished off in a flurry of very short, inconsequential chapters which indicated (to me, at any rate) that Ms Dickason was also tiring of her work. Up to a point, the plot is intriguing, even exciting - provided that you do not read the family tree at the front before you read the novel. James I comes across as a real villain: foul-mouthed, insensitive, utterly capricious and unpredictable, paranoid, megalomanic and ruthless - all these aspects of his dangerous character are convincingly conveyed by Dickason. There is humour too: you don't have to speak French for the really hilarious nature in Elizabeth's eyes of her betrothal ceremony to reach you - I laughed out loud! Her love for her brother is also realistically conveyed. Finally, however, you do wish for the novel to end, and are relieved when it does. Three stars is a little mean: but four would be over-generous.

5.0 out of 5 stars for fans of Phillipa Gregory, a new author to enjoy, 31 Aug 2010
L. mckay "brookes_bargain_books" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Fantastic!
very much written in the style of Phillipa Gregory.
A real historical figure given a voice...this is the daughter of James V1 of Scotland and 1st of England, very a much a pawn in the marriage cattle market, within the royal families of europe.
If you enjoy historical fiction, this is one for you, enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 July 2010
OC (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Christie Dickason has a rare and special talent - she tells a story grippingly, and like the best historical novelists, weaves colourful detail into the fabric of her tale. In The King's Daughter she tells how Elizabeth, daughter of King James I, is used as a pawn in the febrile chess game that was early 17th century European politics. Ms Dickason writes with deep perception; eschewing stereotypes, she paints even minor characters brilliantly, while Elizabeth herself is portrayed as a young woman who must with courage and intelligence avoid the traps and pitfalls her enemies place in her path. I think this book would appeal to anyone who likes a good story set in the past; it's intelligently written without being too highbrow, and while the story gallops along, the prose provides sufficient detail for the reader to believe that he is witnessing another human being overcome the challenges of life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The King's Daughter
The King's Daughter by Christie Dickason (Paperback - 13 May 2010)