Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 January 2014
Searching `New York' in the Kindle section of Amazon UK, Lindsey's book was the first to appear. The cover immediately attracted me and on closer inspection, I recognised the author's name. I haven't ready anything of Lindsey's before but I'd seen her name on numerous occasions and had seen many good reviews for her work. Her book `Single Girl's To-Do List' is also on my to-read list so keep an eye out for that review.

`I Heart New York' follows Angela Clark, a twenty-six year old writer on the verge of marrying her childhood sweetheart. She catches said sweetheart having sex with his tennis partner at her best friend's wedding. Angela's life is turned upside down, she takes the first plane out of London and jets off to the one place she has always wanted to go - the Big Apple.

The storyline is fun, exciting and I love that it is jam-packed with fabulous fashion, make-up and jewellery references. It has that New York sparkle and it just makes me want to jump on a plane myself. I've read reviews which state certain parts of the storyline are a bit farfetched... but what story isn't? This story itself portrays the essence of New York; it's the city where dreams are made and Angela learns how to live hers. I really warmed to the characters and am glad that this is only the first book in the series. Next stop - Hollywood!

For more of my reviews, check out [...]
on 28 January 2013
A great book and an easy ready with a fab story line can't wait to read the next book :-)
on 10 December 2013
Absoulity amazing!! I've read all Lindsey Kelks book, but I heart New York is by far the best....I've read it over and over again, and still makes me wanna jump on the next flight to New York with nothing but a battered bag, my passport and very expensive shoes...which I can't even afford! This book is perfect for a cosy night in alone, you won't want to put it down once you start reading. Any girlie girl or women off course! Will be sure to love this book from back to back, filled with witty humour, belly laughs and day dreaming off starting a new life with a clean slate in the amazing fashion capital off the world...New York City off course!!
All Lindsey's book are just as addictive but this one is her first published....before you no it you too will have the kelk bug or as I call myself a kelkaholic.
on 29 December 2013
I begun with I heart Christmas, went to I heart Paris, and now this one. I could not do anything else. Reading, being immersed in it.

Of course, this is the one you should read first, as even if every book has a conclusion and does not let you hanging, there are all, as probably the to other that happen in Las Vegas and Hollywood, about the same Angela. And what happens to her.

In this book, we feel why she hates the other boys, not yet why she is immediately so taken with Alex? whose wonderful personality grows on us along the way? and makes us feel more and more for him.

A lot of other characters live and breath in Lindsey kell:so book, and that and of course also the cities make the book very alive.
on 16 January 2013
Fantastic read makes me want to go back to New York a book to lose yourself in and laugh out loud brilliant
on 7 September 2015
After reading "Always the Bridesmaid" and enjoying Kelk's writing style I really thought that I would love this book. I was expecting a funny, girly, easy to read novel with a bit of a twist and the reviews were really positive. I was so disappointed! It was the kind of plot that I may have bought when I was 16 years old but considering this is meant to be a book for adults, I was shocked by how ridiculous it was. I persevered despite my reservations and read it to the end in case it got better- it didn't.

It is essentially a whole book about a girl getting her hair done, going shopping and going on dates. It's utterly boring. So Angela gets cheated on, she reacts horribly, ruins her best friend's wedding and goes straight to New York. It starts off okay, you think it will be a journey of self discovery, of learning from mistakes, of the reality of doing a runner from all your problems. But no, on her first day in New York she meets her new best friend, Jenny, who is always full of word-perfect lines from self help books. If you rock up at a posh hotel and cry at the desk about your "terrible life", one of the employees will not come up to your room with loads of freebies and offer you a shoulder to cry on. It just doesn't happen.

So Jenny takes Angela out shopping, because that's what strangers do. Despite not having a well paid job Angela spends a load of money on designer clothes and getting her hair and makeup done. She goes out with her new friend and makes loads more fabulous friends. Within two days of being in New York she's also met two amazing, cute guys who she goes on dates with. Both of them are lovely, rich, fantastic in bed with no perceivable flaws. She moves in with her new best friend Jenny. Then she gets a job at a magazine and is super successful.

The whole book is terribly written. The dialogue between the characters is completely unrealistic and cheesy and Angela just doesn't seem like a very interesting person. You get some little glimpses of what she writes about in her column and it's absolute rubbish. It isn't clever, it isn't witty or funny. In fact there were no funny moments in the book at all. Nothing bad happens, there are no date disasters, no fashion mishaps, no money worries. Nothing happens AT ALL! I'm all for escaping into a book and going a little unrealistic but I felt that this book was a joke.
It's like it's trying to be a cross between "Sex and the City" and "Eat Pray Love" but it misses by miles.
on 14 September 2014
This novel would probably not have made it off the shelf and into my hands for even a cursory glance, had it not been for the fact that I heard Lindsey Kelk interviewed on the wonderful BookD podcast. Actually, I’ll be completely honest, there is no ‘probably’ about it, it absolutely wouldn’t have. I tend to avoid like the plague anything that could remotely be considered ‘girlie’ fiction (and no, I am NOT going to use the infamous term ‘Chick Lit’ as I can entirely appreciate why certain female authors find the term derogatory and patronising. Although thinking about it, ‘girlie’ fiction is probably similarly offensive. No offense intended).

I don’t avoid it because I am in any way dismissive of the genre – I firmly believe that good fiction looks entirely different to each one of us, and also that time and mood are incredibly important to how a book is received and appreciated by an individual. As long as you can escape into it, it’s a good novel as far as I’m concerned. It is simply that as my own personal form of escapism, this kind of novel doesn’t generally do it for me. I therefore tend to avoid pink, flowery covers and storylines that revolve around men and shopping (this is despite the fact that I actually do like flowers, men, shopping and am not averse to the colour pink). I just tend to go for books that are more likely to have me in floods of tears than make me smile. Oh God, am I a masochist?

Anyway, Lindsey’s interview hooked me in a number of ways. It was interesting to hear how she went from a career in publishing to becoming a published author herself. She described the various bumps along the road that she encountered on that journey, including one delightful agent who told her that her name sounded like a cat being sick! She is without doubt one of the funniest authors I’ve heard interviewed and I was intrigued to find out if her humour came across in her writing (she is also one of the funniest people to follow on twitter by the way). I bought her first novel to try and find out (NB: there are now five I Heart novels).

The blurb says:

Fleeing her cheating boyfriend and clutching little more than a crumpled bridesmaid dress, a pair of Louboutins and her passport, Angela jumps on a plane – destination NYC.

Holed up in a cute hotel room, Angela gets a New York makeover from her NBF Jenny and a whirlwind tour of the city that never sleeps. Before she knows it, Angela is dating two sexy guys. And, best of all, she gets to write about it in her new blog (Carrie Bradshaw eat your heart out). But it’s one thing telling readers about your romantic dilemmas, it’s another figuring them out for yourself.

Angela has fallen head over heels for the big apple, but does she heart New York more than home?

As the story opens, Angela is about to walk down the aisle as bridesmaid to her best friend. Fast forward just a few pages and she discovers her own fiancé with his pants round his ankles giving another woman a good seeing-to in their car. Fast forward another few pages and instead of being consoled by her mum over a cup of tea and a biscuit as you’d expect most good English girls to do, she jumps on a plane to New York and books herself in to an incredibly expensive hotel. The rest of the story concerns the people she meets and her experiences of New York in general.

I challenge any woman to read this novel and not feel a twinge of jealousy. Or even several large twangs come to that. Not regarding the bloody awful breakup of course, but you can’t argue with the fact that after that she has a damn good time. Actually even before that she is wearing a pair of £400 Louboutin’s. And she gets to keep them! How much did the Bride’s shoes cost for God’s sake??

Her experiences post-adultery shocker are undoubtedly well-oiled by a seemingly bottomless stash of cash (something I could do with right about now). Despite describing herself as a freelance writer and not having a ‘proper job’, Angela decides early on that half of the joint ‘wedding’ savings account is hers and although specific amounts are not mentioned, there was clearly enough money in this account for her to have had a wedding of which a minor member of Royalty would be proud. The hotel she stays in for the first week costs $350 per night and there are endless trips to boutiques and beauty counters with mass purchases of perfume, make up, underwear, clothes, shoes and a particular Marc Jacobs handbag that amounts to a small fortune. Retail therapy rocks in this novel.

As the blurb mentions, Angela soon ends up dating two different men, which according to the New York guru Jenny, is perfectly acceptable behaviour as far as dating in NY goes. This seems fine, until she starts The Blog. Maybe it’s just me, but from the description I thought The Blog was just something Angela decided to start writing to record her own experiences. Not so. The Blog is something she becomes employed to do, and her editor specifically wants her to talk about the two different men. Again, this could be OK only she makes a huge deal of the fact the she is given this job to the two guys she is dating, who don’t know that she is dating someone else as well. She doesn’t ever seem to see the imminent danger of one or other of these guys reading the blog, and even seems to encourage it at one point when she is sitting around with one of them waiting for her first post to appear on a website. This just didn’t make sense to me. And actually it still doesn’t!

Aside from that aspect though, I was surprised how much I did escape into the novel and how much I enjoyed it. The character of Jenny is great fun and through her the reader is treated to some fantastic insights into the city – the author clearly knows New York intimately and even includes ‘Angela’s Guide to NYC’ at the back of the book which includes recommendations for places to stay, eat out, drink and of course, shop. I want to go. And spend bucket loads of money. First stop? The Chocolate Shop.

I couldn’t entirely identify with Angela, but I don’t think we’re supposed to. There are certainly specific aspects of her character that I could identify with but more importantly, what she does and how she deals with her heartache makes for damn good escapist fiction. I think she represents a pretty common female fantasy (albeit taken to an extreme) and who would have thought it? Reading about that is actually good fun! I loved the novel’s humour (answer to my original question = YES. Lindsey’s humour is evident on practically every page). Her style is engaging – far from being sugary and soppy, it is snappy and to the point and I did actually laugh out loud in places. It just works. Try it. And if you’re still unsure, a little taster:

“‘Angela,’ Mark stood up, he pulled his pants up high, and wriggled into his shirt. I looked past him into the car. The girl had managed to get her dress on and was rubbing under her eyes to try to get rid of the mascara. Good luck, I thought, if it’s as good a quality as your shoes you won’t get that off by rubbing. Shoes still looked great though. Bitch”.
on 23 August 2014
On the night of her best friends wedding Angela finds out her Boyfriend has cheated on her but rather than stay and face the music she jumps on a plane to New York. Within a week she has a "job" and is dating 2 guys which turns complicated near the end of the book.

I like the character of Angela she seams a very head strong girl that on a whim takes off when everything goes wrong for her. She takes a chance and she ends up meeting some great new friends, getting a great new Job and dating an amazing guy near the end of the book. I love how the friendliness of New Yorkers like Jenny she was taken in under their wing, given a New York make over and shown the way However as much I loved the book I did think some parts where not realistic to real life such as a Hotel Receptionist being about to live in a apartment in Manhattan, going shopping everyday, getting a job within days of arriving and being able to live in New York when she wasn't earning alot from the blogging job.

I did like the fact the book was a page turner and I wanted to know/ find out what Angel would get up to from one day to another and I felt like it was well written as well. The characters where will written and had great personalities and stood out from each other and by the end of the book I wanted to learn more about each person. I also liked that the book didn't end on a clip hanger either in the epilogue you find out what guy she has been dating she choices...... 6 months later
on 19 February 2014
I made the big mistake and read I heart Paris first. Please don’t ask me why, it just happened somehow. It spoilt the ending, but I still enjoyed every second of the book.

After being cheated on by her fiancé, Angela decides to leave London and goes to New York. She has no clue what to do and how long she is staying, but she just has to get away. In her hotel she meets Jenny and they become friends. Jenny introduces Angela to her friends and she gets a new look and one of her friends can even get her a job at theLOOK.com. What an exciting and new change in Angela’s life and Lindsey described it in such an exciting and enjoyable way.

Angela is still heart broken, but she goes out there and meets new men. She has no problem doing that and pretty fast she’s got dates with two different men. Both of them are good-looking and interesting. There is Taylor, the sexy banker and Alex the gorgeous rock-star.
Well, I know whom she’s going to pick, but I am not telling you. Only one thing: am happy about her decision J.

Angela wasn’t feeling good about being with two men at the same time anyway and she had to write about it in her blog. So the drama was really intense and Angela was on a adventurous roller-coaster ride, with ups and downs. There was never a dull moment and I was so curious of what was going to happen next in the story.

Her future seemed unsure, with her job and also the men.
Well, we only hear in the epilogue what she decides, but I am really happy about it(well, I guess I knew from the beginning). This is great, because Lindsey keeps you guessing about the ending till the last pages and that for me is a really important thing and makes a story even more appealing.

Such a romantic read, full of fun, New York details and dating!!! =) Can’t wait to start the next one :)
on 27 October 2013
We kick off at Louisa's wedding. Louisa is Angela's best friend. The party is well under way but the pain of wearing high heels all night gets to Angela (who of us hasn't had that issue) so she goes to the car to put on her old trusted flats, she opens the car door only to find her fiancé, Mark, cheating on her with his tennis partner, Katie. At first she has the natural reaction to scream and shout at everyone. She feels like a fool. Even her best friend knew. The next day the only thing she wants to do is get as far away from him and everyone she knows.

So she gets on the first plane to an English speaking country and ends up in New York. A sobbing heart-broken mess. Mark was her life. For the last 10 years she's been building a life with him and now she doesn't know, well anything really.

The first order of business is to find a hotel where, Angela meets Jenny Lopez. Jenny thinks that one day she will be the Oprah. She takes Angela under her wing and she is soon finding her way in the Big Apple.

With a new friend, a very gorgeous new Marc Jacobs bag, a blog and two dinners with two hot men, New York soon seems like the perfect place for Angela, but dating two men and writing about them for the whole of New York to see soon becomes a problem....

One of the main reasons I love this book is how easy it is to relate to Angela. She's your typical girl, she loves everything a girl probably shouldn't; Mr Ben and Mr Jerry, chocolate, cakes, cookies and spending all her money on Marc Jacobs to name just a few.

I am DYING to visit New York. It seems so magical. When I do I will definitely be using the guide at the back of the book. One of my favourite parts of this book is when she first arrives in NY and Jenny brings her lots and lots of food via room service, and by food I mean cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice cream.

This is a great ChickLit read. Lindsey has you crying, laughing and shopping (lots of shopping).