5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and powerful read with no happy ending
The product description says it all - but reading this is still a shock. The lower school environment of Sacred Heart resulted in a fixed religious regime of physical abuse and violence and torture from the nuns, plus one paedophile there and another connected to Garner's primary school.

Then the Garners are transferred to Haut De La Garenne one by one, and we...
Published on 18 Feb. 2009 by Born Again Bookworm

Published 9 months ago by squirrel 59

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and powerful read with no happy ending, 18 Feb. 2009

Then the Garners are transferred to Haut De La Garenne one by one, and we get a child's eye view of the place which does more to uncover what went on than any of the media reporting since the discovery of bones at the building a year ago.

The title of the book is right, nobody did arrive and give the children any help, and as such, they pull together as best they can in the face of such abuse, and the same applies to the payback meted out to one of the abusers - in which the author himself was not involved.

The bravest approach with this book was the lack of happy ending, as the book charts the fortunes of Garner's siblings and the friends he makes at the home, aside from three named kids and and the victims of the worst organised abuse in the home. It also marks the realistic lack of catharsis for the author when the home(s) hit the media and stir up his memories.

This won't be the last book about this case, given there is no closure to any proceedings or enquiries at the moment, but for a child's eye view it's definitely worth reading and will probably do better in paperback than this initial release for that reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, 2 Aug. 2009
J. WALKER (YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobody Came: The appalling true story of brothers cruelly abused in a Jersey care home (Paperback)
Having seen this story in the national news dealing with the abuse carried out at this particular institute in Jersey this book deals with the human story behind the headlines.

This biography deals with very disturbing instances of abuse dealing with sexual, physical and emotional abuse and is a difficult read but a MUST read if lessons are to be learnt.

Told with dignity and incredible bravery the author is to be commended for bringing this appalling true story of how a family of brothers were cruelly abused and let down by the care system into the public domain.

Thankfully, there is now a police case against one of the abusers which will hopefully reveal the truth and justice will be served for his victims.

HEARTBREAKING

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READ

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 2 Jun. 2011
I read this book a while ago and it's a book you won't forget. A harrowing story to read and it gave me the chills. I love the way the author writes and it is easy to read. Once starting reading this book, it is impossible to put it down, you have to read all in one go because it is very compelling.
Laila Bevan
Author of
"Stolen Childhood"

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody Came, 14 Dec. 2011
This was the hardest book I have ever read which was so obviously written from the heart. Thanks must go to the author who has brought into the public eye the most cruel and unbelievable journey these children endured at the hands of those who were supposed to be there to help them. I am a great believer in "what goes around comes around" so hope that those who inflicted this cruelty onto these children now live in the the knowledge that their crimes will not go unpunished.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOO TRAGIC TO BE REAL!!!!, 5 Oct. 2010
This unbelievable true story about three brothers growing up in a care home is amust read and is a story that will haunt you after you finish the last page.

Such a sad read, but a story you can't put down.

Buy it, casue you won't be left uninformed about the traumatic and appaling events happening to children in some care homes.

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like purely because it is harrowing - but it's well ..., 17 July 2014
I don't like purely because it is harrowing - but it's well written and hope shines through the tragedy. I bought it because I knew someone that lived in that same 'abuse' home in jersey and I wanted to have more insight into his suffering etc....tough read but glad I read it - people have to know what happened - but admit, I'm left with nightmares - pl read it if you can find the strength if for those childrens' sakes....what they went through is horrific - it must never happen to kids again - thank you - Squirrel 59 - 14.7.14

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there during 1980s., 9 Sept. 2012
R. Freitas "Jinxarama" (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
I finished this book only two days ago. Words can't describe my shock and sadness for these children that were appallingly treated and unloved. What made the book more authentic for me, what really made me believe every word is that unless you actually went to Sacre Couer yourself, you couldn't possibly have such intimate knowledge of the place and its characteristics from a child's acute perspective. I was there during the 1980's, long after it had stopped being an orphanage. Instead it was made in to a day care centre/a nursery if you like before being converted in to flats many years later. We were lucky, things were much different since Robbie's time, but even as a child I was spooked by that whole area... I couldn't put my finger on it, I suppose now I can describe it as resonating pure evil, horrible vibrations of times past. I suppose one could call it residual haunting if you believe in that kind of thing, i dunno, perhaps kids can pick up on stuff like that all I know is that it made me very uncomfortable, especially that stairwell and the corridors it led to and some of those out-buildings. The descriptions of the interiors, the glass shard covered walls, the gardens, the sheds, even those metal beds which some still remained in my time and the dining hall and play areas, all 100% accurate, he couldn't have made it up!! Even as a teenager when the dining hall right at the back had been converted in to living quarters, which a school friend of mine's family lived in for a few years, walking out across those grounds late at night sent shivers up my back and down my arms, I had to pace it out of there in pitch black, made me feel very uneasy. I hear they're thinking of demolishing the old fabric mill next door and making some flats there soon, lord knows I wouldn't live there!! Very sad story this book... I wanted to hug this man even now at 56 and tell him how much I felt the little boy's pain that he once was. I wish he'd been my dad, he seems like such a nice person. Tragic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly shocking book, 30 Jan. 2012
J. Kisseih (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
You won't be able to put this book down and it will shock you that these events actually took place. It is hard to believe the evil and wickedness in both some of the nuns and the paedophiles who masqueraded as care wardens. Robbie - I hope you seek (or have sought) compensation from the Jersey authorities for what happened to you and I hope your book becomes a best seller - money won't get rid of the pain but at least you can live your later years with some measure of ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars A POWERFUL AND TRAGIC STORY, 21 Mar. 2013
I would recommend that EVERYONE should read this book; when I read about the treatment of these two young brothers (as well as many other children) in that hell-hole in Jersey called the 'haut de la garenne' I was enraged! The author describes how he and his brother were put in to care by their Mother and left there. The devils at this Jersey 'care' home regularly beat and raped the kids; the author says that when he heard on the news, many years later, that investigators at the 'haut de la garenne' had found a child's skull buried there, he thought to himself 'only one?'
I also remember this news item; a couple of days later the newspapers reported that the home office pathologist had made a mistake; apparently what he thought was a child's skull was in fact a coconut shell; is it likely that an experienced pathologist would not know the difference between a coconut shell and a child's skull? the word 'cover-up' springs to mind.
The author never really recovered from the abuse (not surprisingly) and he never married or had children. He now lives alone, and when he describes the moment his handsome brother died, it made me cry. A haunting, unforgettable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars cried too much, 13 Nov. 2011
from start to finish my tears kept rolling down, i can normally read a book within 1 day, this took me 5 weeks because i had to pull myself together everytime i read the appauling abuse that these children had to go through each day of their lives from birth to adulthood. I simply cannot understand the mentality of the nuns, police and anyone who actually abuse children like this and i can honestly say that justice never came to these poor children as those sick people in power have passed now and i hope they went to hell!!!! we need to do more to protect young children being abused, and the abusers severly punished, Kids are put in homes due to unfortunate circumstances and these people in authority need to realise that all children want is love and affection and don't forget all these predators were once children.