5.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect a rehash of the film - but buy it anyway.
Published on 20 Jun 2005 by Shady Tree

3.0 out of 5 stars Mary Poppins
I think I have been spoiled by the film! I expected great things from this book but I'm afraid I didn't really enjoy it much. The text is stilted and doesn't really 'flow' to my mind, but I am perhaps too fussy. I'd heard so much about this book that I was quite disappointed when I actually read it. I persevered but found it tedious, although the elements within were fun...
Published 1 month ago by Mrs. J. Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect a rehash of the film - but buy it anyway., 20 Jun 2005
Shady Tree (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Paperback)
If you're buying this because you or your children love the film of Mary Poppins, don't expect the same slightly stern but very twinkly-eyed Mary as the one so fantastically portrayed by Julie Andrews. PL Travers' original and best Mary can be quite harsh with a rare show of tenderness limited to a "Hmph" as she tucks you in, but for all that, this is a book not to be missed. There are some valuable lessons for children and adults alike; some laugh-out-loud moments and some real tear-jerkers (see the chapter entitled "John and Barbara's Story". The film-makers took enough similarities from the book that children can recognise the Mary they know and love (sliding up the stairs, the carpet bag, the flavour-changing medicine etc.) but many of the adventures with Mary Poppins in this book are marvellously different. This book is a joy for adults to read aloud to children and despite explaining to my 6 year-old daughter that the stories in this original book of Mary Poppins were quite different to the film, she loves this book and eagerly awaits each night's chapter. A real gem and justifiably a classic - you'll be very sad to reach the end of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Original Mary, 11 Mar 2003
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Paperback)
Katie Nana has left the Banks family in need of a new nanny. But before they know it, a woman blows in on the East Wind. Literally. She takes the position of caring for the four children, Jane, Michael, and the twins John and Barbara. But with her extremely prim and proper attitude comes magical adventures. A day in the park, having tea, running errands, and even Christmas shopping can turn into an adventure when Mary's around. And the kids love it.
This most decidedly is not the Disney Mary Poppins. Disney toned her down significantly for his movie, making her heart easier to see. Still, it's there if you look closely in the book. I had forgotten just how hard it is to see at times behind Mary's outward appearance and actions. Still, the kids come to love her because they know where they really stand.
As with all books in the series, this one is a series of adventures. Each chapter tells it's own story, each story it's own fun, magical adventure.
Those looking for Disney's Mary will be greatly disappointed. But anyone looking for a fun series of adventures will find a woman who does care for those around her, even if it's not always super obvious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Magical, 23 Mar 2010
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
First I have a confession to make, I was in my twenties before I even saw the Disney movie, and I must admit that I loved it. Now many years later I have got round to reading the first book in the Mary Poppins collection, there are another five novels as well as this one.

The Disney film was based on this book and its sequel, but of course there are things not mentioned in the book that were in the film, and vice versa. I won't go into depth of what the story is about, because we all know that Mary appeared as a nanny to look after the Banks' children. Reading this book though you see that like Gaskell's 'Cranford' the story is really made up of a number of sketches, and thus is not a conventional style novel; indeed you could read it as a series of short stories all about Mary Poppins. Mary herself is a bit darker than in the film and she is very vain.

Even at my age this book had me laughing out loud at some of the things said and some of the incidents, so this shows that it is definitely a book for all ages. This is a novel that you can read to little children, and when they are older they can read by themselves, and when they are really older they can still read to themselves, or to their children. Some books are classics for all people and this story aptly falls into that group.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to compare book and film, 30 Oct 2012
I bought this on Kindle, on impulse really, to see how the book compared with the musical and the film, which PL Travers supposedly disliked so much that she refused to give Disney the rights to a sequel. Given that, I was surprised at how faithful the film is. Obviously there are variations in the plot, but the feel is quite similar, and if anything the film had a greater sense of continuity compared to the episodic style of the book, and the different strands in the film make more narrative sense and feel more cohesive.

Mary Poppins is a little more severe in the novel, but otherwise the characters are more or less the same. The novel is an entertaining children's book, told with considerable imagination, but it is simply a children's book. It has charm but (naturally) is dated and rather contrived. Well worth a look though for those who want to see the origins of a classic film.

4.0 out of 5 stars A separate creation to the film, but has magic of its own, 4 Aug 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
There can't be a child alive now who actually reads this book in ignorance of the Disney film. And I count myself here too. Anybody reading this will have their reading of it coloured by Julie Andrews and the famous songs and scenes of the film. And this doesn't help the book, in some ways.

I wish I knew how I'd view this story if I'd not seen the film first. I suspect I'd have liked it - it's pretty magical still, with the parrot umbrella, magic medicine and upward banister travel, the ceiling lunch, chalk drawings. But if you're reading this to your child expecting dancing penguins, chimney-top dancing and the moving father-child scenes at the end, think again. Uncle Walt put those in. Sorry.

This is on my son's shelf and I do intend to share it with him when he's old enough. There are some great chapters here that I didn't remember - the midnight zoo and the twins' chapter (Jane and Michael's baby siblings have a chapter of their own which is adorable) are my favourites. I didn't like Mrs Corry at all, a very strange chapter and character that I found disturbing. Bert hardly appears, it's much more a sequence of stories and adventures and around Mary and the children. So it's very different to the film, which apparently (as I can't say I've read any of the others) is based on chapters from several of Travers' volumes.

I would treat them as two different and quite separate things I think. My son is three and a half and wants to see the film (after ad nauseum repeats of the songs in the car) so I know he'll be seeing this before we read it. I know at this age he'll be enchanted by the film whereas the book, which most certainly is a classic of its time will have an appeal when he's older. And I'll be talking to him about the differences between the two and why he thinks Walt Disney changed things.

Mary Poppins is a contradiction in the book - still vain and snooty, but lets her hair down with Bert. And with Sophie Thompson's excellent reading can sound almost common when she forgets herself.

I reread this as an audiobook, and thoroughly enjoyed it this way. The narration was excellent, beautifully English. I expect Travers would approve. I was spurred to read it again by 'Saving Mr Banks', the recent film. Maybe the whole series of Poppins books needs to be read to understand her a little better, but I did get a good feel for the period, the middle class family, and the gentle magic that I'm sure enchanted readers long before Walt persuaded her to allow him his penguins.

Has to be read. But don't let the film spoil it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Poppins., 18 Feb 2014
After seeing the film Saving Mr Banks, I wanted to read an early edition of the Mary Poppins book to see the difference between book and film. Really enjoyed the book. One to keep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant childhood read, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mary Poppins (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Every child should read this. I'm middle aged and have never read the original story - only know it from the musicals. This book is so much better. Recommend this for story time in schools and at home. Arrived very quickly too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Book ~ recommended for all ages, 26 Nov 2012
I first bought a copy of this book when I was 6 years old, with my saved-up spending money. Now, over 40 years later I still have my original copy.
It is totally wonderful read, much more magical even than the Disney film.
It is a timeless book; I read it to my own children & look forward to reading it to my Grandchildren in the future.
I can honestly say it is one of my most favourite reads ever.
I would recommend it to young & old alike and to anyone who enjoys a little magical escapism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie!, 13 May 2013
While the movie made of the book turned out to be a family classic, the book actually reflect and deal with political ideas and social problems of the 30s in an excellent way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful! Pleasing to adults and children., 12 July 2009
Beautifully read and brought to life by Sophie Thompson, this cd box set is great.
Straightforward: neither cloying nor patronising.
Perfect for long car journeys.
A real classic.

Mary Poppins (Essential Modern Classics)
Mary Poppins (Essential Modern Classics) by P. L. Travers (Paperback - 3 Nov 2008)