on 10 October 2008
Marcus Trescothick has written a truly amazing book here. Unlike many sports biographies which are stodgy and difficult, "Coming Back to Me" reads easily, almost like a gripping novel. The writing style draws you into a very personal dialog with the writer and before long you almost feel as if you are in conversation with him.

The subject matter too is very enlightening. First of all, there is the history of his cricketing career, which doesn't get bogged down in a dreary list of scores and averages, but bounces along bringing the excitement of the game to life. The mainstay of the book however, is Marcus' struggle with the depressive illness which has had such a major impact on his life and career.

Descriptions of anxiety attacks and those all engulfing black periods that many depressives suffer are described so lucidly that you could be forgiven for believing him to be a professional in that field as well. His descriptions of all aspects of his condition are extremely thought provoking, and served with far more clarity than those from many experts.

The book also throws more light on the appalling behaviour of some areas of the media who did so much to destroy a genuine sporting hero.

Prior to reading this book, I considered Spike Milligan and Anthony Clare's "Depression and how to survive it" as the foremost in it's field. Now I would put "Coming Back to Me" alongside, if not above it.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2008
My heart goes out to Marcus and his family. He has been to hell and back over the last few years and I really hope that he's over the worst now and can make a full recovery. His honesty comes through in the book as does the loyalty displayed by his wife and family. As a result of reading this book, I will never again dismiss depression as a disease which only weak people suffer from - it can happen to all of us.

I've also learned that the life of a cricketer, travelling the world etc is not the glamour life we tend to think it is.

Once again Marcus, I wish you well and hope you make a complete recovery.
on 16 December 2008
As great a cricket fan as I am, I'm not normally one for ghosted biographies. Somehow they seem to lack the passion of those written by the players themselves.

This, however, was very much the exception to that rule. It made absolutely fascinating reading, and whilst gripping, was utterly tragic.

It was incredibly informative for a sporting biography, and gave me a much better understanding of mental illness, what causes it, how it manifests itself and most interestingly the types of personality most likely to suffer from it.

I was so absorbed that I quite literally could not put it down, and my heart goes out to Markus and anyone else affected by such a terrible illness. I hope he goes on to make a full recovery, and full marks to him for having the courage to tell his story with such candour.

Hopefully this will promote greater understanding and encourage other sufferers to seek help - as someone so astutely says on the back cover, if he has this in his life, then so must other top-flight sportspeople, and they're hiding it.

This is a must-read, and not just for fans of a wonderful game that will miss one of the finest exponents it has seen this century.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2008
I've never read a book from a sportsman that actually tells the truth about how hard it can be to be in the spotlight. As well as what happens when you can't handle the pressure. He's brave enough to be able to admit to this, which is something I've never seen before. A great read.
on 16 October 2008
I have just finished reading this excellent autobiography. As a lifelong Somerset and England fan I really enjoyed reliving lots of the cricketing memories with Marcus, but it was his account of the ups and downs of his cricketing life and in particular his battle will depressive illness which will leave a lasting impression.

His detailed accounts of his low points were painful to read and his insights into how his views of depression and burnout changed when he experienced them himself were fascinating. The main message I want to give is that Marcus was always a hero of mine with bat in hand, but now he's a true hero as he has hopefully opened up the eyes of hundreds and thousands of readers about the realities of depressive illness and that it doesn't just affect wimps ... it can strike anyone no matter how big and tough they may be.

The writing style was incredibly easy to read and the book was really gripping in places. It's also bang up to date including Marcus's views of the next chapter of English cricket with Kevin Pietersen at the helm.

Well done Marcus and very best wishes for your continued recovery.
on 20 February 2009
This is a fantastic book and a massive thank you to Marcus for having the courage to bring this awful illness into the mainstream. As someone who loves cricket and who has also spent a successful career fighting off recurrent bouts of depression, I was hooked by both subjects. Brilliant read!!!!
This is a fine, courageous and very readable book. The childhood and cricket reminiscences are rather better done than the usual bland fare served up by mediocre ghost writers and are quite enjoyably readable. However, as others have made clear, what makes this book exceptional is Marcus's account of his depressive illness. It is a truly remarkable description of the symptoms and the effects it had on him, on his career and on his family. He also describes vividly the shame and stigma he felt in having such an illness and how this held him back from seeking help. It's engrossing and very moving.

I have always had a great respect for Marcus Trescothick as a cricketer. Having read this, I have an even greater respect for him as a man. Never mind facing Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar, it took real courage and dignity to write this book. If you have any interest in finding out about depression, panic attacks or similar conditions you should read it, whether or not you are a cricket fan. I have never come across such a clear, courageous account from a sufferer's point of view and I recommend it very warmly.
on 26 June 2013
This book was absorbing, it kept me up until past 1am for a couple of nights until it was finished
It is not to be missed.
A brave and truthful account of his depression, real genuine depression.Real illness

He tried so hard to cover it up, not realising he was making himself worse.

As cricket fans over the years we loved watching players like Marcus.
When he was going through his illness it was obvious something was wrong.

Not helped by bone idle, lying reporters who saw something and because there was no
story from the horses mouth decided to just make them up then. Hey what the heck they got paid,
editors were happy, why check?
If proved incorrect just print a tiny apology.
So he had affairs, his wife Haley had affairs, that will do, good print.

Apart from feeling like hell they were being put thro hell.

When he did not go home when his father in law was ill was not spite or greed but more an idea of what was to come.
His attempts to deny anything was wrong just keep going as normal it will all go away and get better by itself.
It never does.

Many of us get fed up days etc. Some go into a slight depressed feeling and pop pills from the doctor.
Think they will be magic cure alls.............

Writing this book may have been his cathartic excersise, his release. Or at least a rung up in that release.
I hope it was not done to explain himself to his team and fans, but for himself and his peace of mind.

When my husband told me he had given up playing for England and why my first thought was
"poor lad" he must be in hell.

He was brave in giving up England not many would do it or admit why. that must have been a decent size step
in the right direction.
This is something he will have to cope with for the rest of his life I wish him and his wife well.
on 4 November 2008
This book is an absolutely incredible, insightful and engaging book. As somebody who has struggled with anxiety and depression recently, this book has been the focus point that has changed my way of thinking about my illness around. It is an extremely good read, which I recommend for anybody suffering with mental illness at the moment. As for the cricket, it is engaging without being tied down in numbers. A really great read. And to Marcus - I really hope everything gets sorted, and thank you for helping me.
on 7 January 2010
I have never read a sporting autobiography before. I read this one because my Doctor recommended it as an excellent description of the unpleasant symptoms I sometimes suffer with.

Depression is still much misunderstood with some people seeing it as a sign of a weak mind. Far from it. This man is exceptional for his honesty, courage and pure strength of character. I also learned that he's passably competent with a bat.

I found him to be extremely likeable and eloquent and would whole heartedly recommend his book. Many suffer in the darkness of depression, I applaud him for lighting it up.

Bravo!