4.0 out of 5 stars Food, Friendship & Kitchen Loving
I first read about Rosie and her Deli in an article in the Observer Food Monthly last Summer, which included a recipe for a Victoria sponge. I'd never made a proper cake before in my life but the it was one of my biggest kitchen successes to date. It was lovely and moist and so tasty, I pre-ordered her book immediately and waited eagerly for its release.

The...
Published on 18 Mar 2010 by Isobel Surridge

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I too old for this?
Someone gave me this

No idea why

I could not care less about Rosie's tediously hip friends who - oh so entertainingly (NOT)- need feeding at such funny hours of the day and night.

Gosh, how achingly trendy they all must be. A complete pain apparently.

There may be some recipes in there, but I haven't found one yet I want to...
Published on 7 Sep 2010 by Stokey Sue

4.0 out of 5 stars Food, Friendship & Kitchen Loving, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)

The book itself is great to read. I really love cook books that include stories about each dish as I love to flick through them so this book was perfect. I like the fact that unlike most cook books which are split into sections based on meals or seasons, this one is split into moods and occasions. It does start with a really substantial breakfast section but there's also chapters for feasts to share with friends, food to cook for a date, soul food for when you're feeling down and light bites for Summer evenings. Each chapter also has its own pudding section. The book is interspersed with pictures, stories and Rosie's own scribbles and annotations. A lovely touch is her 'munching maps' and tips, which are really helpful

I have to admit that despite having had this book for a while now, I haven't actually made very much out of it. It's not that I don't want to, but I do find that alot of it requires ingredients that may be available in abudance to Brixton-based Rosie, but are hard to hunt down otherwise. Some of the recipes also contain quite a lot of ingredients and can be time consuming. Having said that, the recipes I have tried have been really tasty and innovative. The lettuce soup with feta was lovely and cleansing, the marmalade breakfast muffins moist and moreish and the herby homemade pasta sheets were silky and delicious.

If you're looking for a cook book with a bit of a twist and a light hearted, chatty tone then this is perfect. Be prepared to have to visit a few specialist shops or order some ingredients in if you don't live in an area where they're easily available.

5.0 out of 5 stars The coolest cook book you'll ever own, 15 Jun 2009
Ms. J. L. Hughes (Leeds, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
I read about Rosie's cafe in a newspaper article and couldn't wait to get the book. It doesn't disappoint. The recipes look scrummy and nothing is pretentious in the slightest. It's quite a retro book, with loads of photographs of friends and the way Rosie has scribbled mind maps throughout the book adds to the laid back character. As soon as I got the book I attempted a recipe straight away. I was never a good cake maker but couldn't resist the Victoria sponge with strawberries and cream.......It was delicious and so easy to follow. I'll definately be making more cakes from this book. It seriously is the coolest book ever!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational cooking!, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
I very much disagree with the reviewer who says this is not a book for a cook! It is just the thing to give you inspiration when you just can't think 'what to cook for dinner tonight'. Her friend probably bought her the book because her cooking is so boring!!

'Doing a Delia' in this house has become 'Doing a Rosie' and my husband swears he will never just roast a chicken again after trying Rosie's Chicken Two Ways - the chicken with orange, honey and chilli is to die for! There are very few recipes in this book I wouldn't cook and it now lives on my worktop, and not on the shelf with all my other cook books, as I dip in and out of it on a regular basis.I am often put off by cook books that don't feature a picture with every recipe but Rosie's descriptions are enough to get me salivating! I don't live in a trendy town but have had no problem obtaining any of the ingredients, in fact most of them are already in my cupboards.

Rosie is a breath of fresh air and I find her 'ramblings' very light-hearted and entertaining. I hope she doesn't become a victim of her own success with her own TV series - we love her just the way she is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Nigella....., 20 Jun 2009
Mrs. Lesley A. Malton "lesleymalton" (Sheffield,South Y orkshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
This is just THE best book ever by a talented writer and cook and should have all the top chefs wondering "okay,I,m mega rich but boring".The morrocan chicken is divine and will be cooking my way through this book over the summer.The narrative reads as good as any well written novel and I wish there was a Rosies in Sheffield. My kids love this book too because it has a vibrancy and vivaciousness that is genuine,so the Summer holidays are going to be fun in our kitchen.Thankyou Rosie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book is almost as lovely as the cafe!!, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
Thi book is lovely, very well written and got that lovely, friendly feel to it that I love in a cookbook, you can imagen having a good meal and a glass of wine with the writer! The recipe's are well written and whilst not complicated lead to tasty and exciting food. The morrocan chicken is an excellent example, easy to cook, sweet and exotic to taste.
The cafe itself is well, well worth a visit if you are near Brixton, really firendly atmosphere and great food, the book does it justice. Very pleased with having bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
Rosie is clearly passionate about food and it's infectious! I'm not a talented cook and I always have to follow a recipe, so it's great to find a book like this. The recipes aren't fussy and are full of fresh flavours, easily as good as Jamie Oliver's best stuff. But what I love the most is the anecdotes that accompany the recipes, all about Rosie's life. I recently made a 'Dan's bulgar wheat salad' but first found myself cycling around charity shops with Rosie, looking for old sets of china!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I originally thought, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
I've had this book for over a year without cooking from it, but lately I've made a meal or four from this little gem, and have quickly realized what I've been missing out on.
It's really fascinating how little money I actually have to spend to end up with ridiculously yummy meals. Instead, I can splurge on one star ingredient. Rosie seems to have a great relationship with her store cupboard essentials, unlike many other cookbook writers with a similar list in their publication. When it comes to cookbooks with a feminine approach, I now more often turn away from Nigella, Sophie Dahl, Gizzi Erskine and other "glamour through food" types, and towards Rosie Lovell because of her ability to write for all kinds of foodies (and genders) - not just the ones who can afford to buy a complete set of ingredients for each recipe from the same book. This book is a great place to start incorporating foodie habits into everyday cooking. It makes good food as part of your lifestyle a tiny bit more achievable. It's like the Leon cookbooks without being all that health conscious.

The book is a particularly fun read because of the quirky hand drawn maps included here and there. They present good taste combinations and suggest a wide range of foods that can help cure hangovers, among other things.

What I miss, and this goes for a lot of cookbooks, is more recipes to feed only a couple. I mean, how many young people (which is clearly the target audience for this book IMO) cook for 4 people most of the time? On the other hand, the recipes in this book are easy to halve.

Some of the recipes: Raspberry Risen Pancakes with Clotted Cream, Pyrenean Duck with Champ, Moroccan Honey Chicken, Pumpkin & Gorgonzola Lasagne, Penne with Creamy Tomato & Tuna, Rhubarb & Whiskey Fool.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
i first saw this book in town,and was tempted by it there, however the price they were asking for was ridiculous! 2 hours later i was on amazon buying it instanslty after seeing how cheap it was in comparison,and within a few days it landed on my door step.
At first looking through the book I wasn't sure if it was going to be over complicated and difficult for me to do, but after trying out the recipe for the lemon tart I was addicted, the recipes are simple, easy to follow and taste amazing!! i would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys cooking or just wants to give it a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars a different type of cookery book, 23 July 2010
Ms. B. Korten (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
I enjoyed dipping in and out of this book...it's one of those books you can pick up and have a relaxing time with, picking up different ideas for snacks and mini- meals. I usually cook for just myself and I tend to eat 'on the go' and a lot of the recipes fitted the bill.
Interestingly put together and an enjoyable insight into Rosie's life which seems dominated by her love of food.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit different, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
I purchased this book after reading some of the positive reviews about it. I was expecting something a bit different to an ordinary cookbook, which it is. And I have enjoyed reading it and making some of the recipes. However, it wasn't quite as good as I had expected - although as I said it is still a good book to have. I think the best bit is the fact that it is a bit different and its good to read the little stories attached to the recipes. Well done! Don't let my very small amount of negativity put you off purchasing it. I enjoy collecting recipe books and am glad I have this one as part of my collection.

Spooning with Rosie
Spooning with Rosie by Rosie Lovell (Paperback - 11 Jun 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01