on 16 May 2010
I purchased this book because it was the most up to date one available, however upon receipt I realised that I had made an awful mistake, this book tries to cover too much ground in too little space.
The plates depict too many species and in some instances the colours are very garish!!, the descriptions are very limited, and the distribution maps are a waste of time at the back of the book, in my view it is essential that they are with the description and plates of the bird.
Fortunately I have been lent the Sasol guide to the Birds of Southern Africa which is streets better and therefore I don't have to go through the pain of buying another book.
Collins I'm really suprised at this book when you consider your European Guides.
on 9 February 2010
I ordered this book after some on-line searching in preparation for a business trip to South Africa, luckily with some time to do a bit of birdwatching. My key requirements were that it should be up to date, complete and not too heavy. I'm happy to say that this book met all those requirements. A very practical size, and therefore easy to take along. A huge number of birds is covered, also for other Southern African countries.

On the downside, the colours were sometimes a bit off, and not always are both perched and flying images included. Maps are to the back, which is not ideal, but easy enough to get used to.

I was very happy with this book, and will gladly take it along again, if I get another chance to visit a Southern African country!
on 6 April 2009
This was my first birdwatching trip to South Africa, so I used this field guide as a novice in the country.

I liked the layout of the plates. It is easy to compare similar birds and the location maps at the back are very handy. Several times I thought I had identified a bird, only to find that its normal location was several hundred miles away.

I would have liked more information about the behaviour and nesting habits of the birds to aid ID.

This edition of the book is fairly new and I don't know how it compares with other field guides. I would recommend it to other novices in South Africa
on 13 June 2014
I think this book is colourful, informative and easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone going to South Africa.
on 4 April 2015
excellent - just what I wanted when visiting a new birding country