5.0 out of 5 stars The importance of books!
Published on 2 Jan 2010 by Bookmark

3.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING
(I was meant to put 5 stars) I really enjoyed this book as it is very emotive and feels very real. I would definitely recommend this book!
Published 4 months ago by ok so its cool

5.0 out of 5 stars The importance of books!, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Paperback)
Ice Lolly is the story of a twelve year old girl having to deal with the demands of grief and bereavement. Withdrawing into her own private world, she is comforted only by her ever faithful cat: Mr Pooter and a collection of books that she once shared with her Mum. The story movingly records Laurel's efforts to come to terms with her loss but also to remain true to herself in unfamiliar and sometimes painful circumstances. The female roles in the story are all strong characters including Laurel herself who becomes compelled to take decisive actions that will affect the rest of her life. Jean Ure's own love of literature is conveyed in a story that draws on those tangible, non-human influences in our lives that provide us with real strength and comfort during times of apparent personal abandonment. This is Children's fiction at its best. The author has worked hard to create a story that confronts the true nature of relationships in a moving and quite inspirational way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!!, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
Yet another great book by Jean Ure. I feel so sorry for laurel having to move in with her auntie and uncle.

I gave this rating because I loved the fact that Laurel always kept her mum in her mind and when reading three men in a boat then she imagined her mum reading it to her.

I would recommend this book for 10-13 year olds
Defiantly read this if you want something to inspire you to love your parents and respect them

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun and interesting book, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
I would definitely recommend this book to ages 9+ as it is quite sad at times. However, it has also been made funny as the the main character, named Loral, sometimes lacks common sense! Jean Ure really captures what it would be like to lose your mum so it makes the book seem very realistic. All the characters have very different personalities which intrigue the reader. The book has lots of twists and surprises therefore I couldn't, personally, put it down! Some chapters were a bit slow in places but others really make up for them. They could be seen as a crescendo. A good book by the amazing author Jean Ure.

3.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 16 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
I thought it might be funny as most of jean ure books are . But instead of being funny it is quite sad.but it is a great reader I would say for 10-12 year olds

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!!!!, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
I think this book was brilliant because it was sometimes sad but most of it was sort of like dome things that had happened to me like her overflowing the toilet. That was funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
I choose the rating that I gave it as it reminds me when someone really important dies as my grandmother had a long battle with cancer it is an emotional book which draws you in instantly

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
This book is about a girl called laurel her mum dies and she has to live with her aunt and uncle I won't tell you what happens in the end but is a good ending to this story
I recommend it to children aged 8+
It is very good I hope you enjoy it

By Emily Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!35)34, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing!!!!!!!!!! The ending is the best bit because it brings the whole story together! I would recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ice lolly, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ice Lolly (Kindle Edition)
I found Jean Ure's ice Lolly truly enjoyable and I loved it! Laurel had to cope with many changes and having lost her mum she lived on. Life is not always bad and that is what this book definitely expresses. Jean ure is a exceptionally interesting writer. I recommend this fantastic book to age 9 to 11 girls because this book is very attention-grabbing!

Ice Lolly
Ice Lolly by Jean Ure (Paperback - 7 Jan 2010)
4.79