4.0 out of 5 stars NOT as bad as previous reviews
Published on 6 Aug 2010 by Tulstig

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dire
I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, and preferred Angels & Demons, so thought this book, as it's of a similar ilk, would be fab.

How wrong I was. I abandoned the book several times because I realised I just didn't care what was going to happen next. The characters are flat and dull, and I didn't particularly like them.

Nothing flowed, and although the clues...
Published on 2 Dec 2008 by Lucy Felthouse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely dire, 2 Dec 2008
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Gaudi Key: A Novel (Hardcover)

Nothing flowed, and although the clues were clever, they weren't laid out in such a way that you'd try and solve them. It was all force-fed to you.

The ending was awful too. I was hoping for a really satisfying ending to tie everything up, but it was just rubbish. There's nothing redeeming about this book at all. The sense of urgency and intrigue just wasn't there for me, and it doesn't look like I'm the only one...

1.0 out of 5 stars A good idea that has been squandered, 17 Dec 2008
R. Nicholson-morton "Nik Morton" (Alicante, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
I tend not to slate books because I know how difficult it is to get accepted. But I'm breaking that rule on this one. The Gaudi Key is dire. Although it's translated from the Catalan, we can't blame the translator. I cannot fathom how this was accepted in the first place; someone at Harper should be thoroughly ashamed of foisting this onto the public. It might be telling that there are no review quotes, even translated ones. In the final analysis, this is an ideal book for writing tutors to use - to show how not to construct a book.
The characters are flat and never engage the reader, because the writers clearly were more involved in the puzzle posed to the heroine Maria rather than fleshing out individuals. There are pages crammed with characters' speech - exposition downloaded from textbooks or other sources; and one character has the nerve to say, 'I hope I'm not boring you.' Well, sadly, the writers bored me with their treatise disguised as a thriller. Part 3 is no less than thirty pages of a history lesson, with the Templars thrown in for good measure. Maria is the main character - yet there are ninety consecutive pages when she doesn't appear!
In many scenes the character point of view shifts from one to another and often we haven't a clue who is speaking; it's as if the writers don't care, they just want to spout the information out of their puppets' mouths. An entire chapter is given over to the villains plotting, but we're not shown anything, it's just one speech after another.
Visualisation in tense scenes is important so the reader can see what's happening - but it rarely exists in this book's pages. The heroes are apprehended in the hallway when in the next breath they're in another room - how'd they get there? Maria could feel the breath of the villain on her back - yet he held her captive at sword-point: that's a very powerful pair of lungs he has. And the villain escapes, but how he does it isn't shown - 'the man had disappeared.' (Must be a magician, then). Maria thinks that 'her grandfather had never hurt anyone.' Fine, though this is only forty pages after she read her grandfather's confession that when he was a youth he killed and beheaded an evil opponent... That must have hurt, surely? Then the couple wandered round 'for the rest of the afternoon'; only some eight pages later they're somewhere else and it was five in the afternoon; maybe that should have been evening, since the rest of the afternoon was spent wandering? Do I care?
There is very little in the way of description, save when these puppets are discussing architecture. The whole thing is contrived: the good guys and the villains know almost everything but leave it to Maria to solve the final riddle; the fight at the end is soulless and unconvincing. I'm really sorry to be so brutal, but clearly this is a good idea that has been squandered.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very contrived Da Vinci Code rip-off, 11 Nov 2008
SAP (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
Everything about this book, on the surface at least, is like Dan Brown's books, most famously The Da Vinci Code. The cover artwork is similar, even the name. 'The' followed by someone famous followed by 'key', which is similar to 'code'. It seems to be the fashion just lately. There are many books on the market that are also blatant and unashamed copies.

However, this one, at least, has tried but failed to copy one aspect of Brown's books. It's not that much of a page-turner. It failed to catch my attention and to pique my curiosity from the start, which is something Brown can do with consummate ease, and I only really started to care what happened with three-quarters of the book behind me! Though the fact that I DID begin to care a little is, I suppose, some praise.

The whole thing is just too contrived. Everything is so URGENT, the clock is ALWAYS ticking, there's a cliff-hanger at the end of every chapter. It feels like some sort of corporate, team-building, orienteering exercise that Miguel and Maria (our hero and heroine) are on. Go here, find this clue, solve this puzzle, which takes you to the next point on the map where you will find another clue and puzzle to solve, ad nauseam.

And the first three-quarters of the book (before Miguel and Maria go on their team-building exercise) just feels like one long lecture on Gaudi and his architecture. Yes, it's nice, I suppose. It looks pretty and quaint, but I don't want a new character to come along every chapter to lecture me on it.

Also, I really didn't understand most of the book. I don't think the puzzles are meant to be solved by the reader. They're usually solved in a feverish flash of (divine?) inspiration that doesn't actually include any rhyme or reason. In that sense, I didn't feel very INVOLVED in this quest. And the BIG SECRET, when you learn of it, isn't particularly mind-shattering.

I would also like to have seen more illustrations and photographs in this book. After all, it IS all about an architect and his creations, yet all we get is one heavily cropped snap of La Sagrada Familia.

PS: I thought the references to the infamous Nazi torturer Dr Mengele (pp.381-82) were a little inappropriate. After all, this is a work of fiction, entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT as bad as previous reviews, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
Having already bought the book, then read the reviews I was a little concerned that I'd not enjoy it at all. However I DID enjoy the book. IT seems that the only way of classifying this type of book is comparing it to 'The Da Vinci Code': so here goes- the story is similar and the pace similar too. The characters are developed just as much as the DVC but the ending is not as unsatisfactory. OK so there may be a few holes in the plot but all in all it is a good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Tolstoy Code, 4 May 2009
D. Cheshire (Liskeard UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
Ok it ain't Tolstoy. But who gave the Da Vinci Code a literary prize lately? Ignore the churlish reviews. This is a Dan Brown rip off of course. But didn't he rip off the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail? So down to the basics. Is it entertaining? Yes. Is it fun? Yes - except look out for one amazingly gruesome torture chapter. Is a page turner? Yes. Does it end ok? Definitely. If you've been to Barcelona and done the essential Gaudi tour you'll probably enjoy this. A good bad book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 18 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
Like a lot of other people I picked this up expecting a Dan Brown-type cerebral thriller that would keep me entertained. Sadly, what starts out very promisingly soon dwindles into a mess of confused plotting and apparently random ideas being piled in as afterthoughts. I soldiered on for about 100 pages, then gave up feeling rather cheated. Not especially recommended - could have been so much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic, poorly witten, pale imitation, 23 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
Steer clear of this if you're hoping for something like Dan Brown's novels. The Gaudi Key is a pathetic, poorly written, pale imitation, reading like a couple of schoolboys have concocted a treasure hunt from random internet pages of information. Utter rubbish throughout. Such a shame, because the basic concept is a good one, and the Gaudi/Barcelona setting could have been so inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
Bought this as a present for my sister, who had just visited Barcelona - a great way to relive some of her trip memories.

1.0 out of 5 stars I gave up, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
I was attracted to this book because I've been to Barcelona and loved the place, so thought this might be a good read.
I stuck at it for about 60 pages. It seemed to get dafter and dafter until I reached a chapter set in 1000 BC and by then I'd had enough and gave up.
Having read other reviews that refer to a graphic torture scene I'm glad I did give up.
The only thing that pleases me is that I bought this in a charity shop, so it didn't cost much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Gaudi Key (Paperback)
Did not expect such a quick arrival - very pleased with that. As described. Very happy with this purchase. Would definately recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Gaudi Key
The Gaudi Key by Andreu Carranza (Paperback - 20 Oct 2008)
7.68