4.0 out of 5 stars Times atlas of the World - but which one to get?
There is a whole host of books called "Times atlas of the world", and I was terminally confused. Until I did a bit of homework, and came up with the following: (all prices quoted from Amazon, August 2008)

The biggest is called COMPREHENSIVE, costs £75 , is 47x32 cm, has 125 map plates (not pages, as most spread over 2 pages) and a 217-page index.

The...
Published on 20 Sept. 2008 by Henk Beentje

2.0 out of 5 stars Times World Atlas
Times World Atlases - The Times Reference Atlas of the WorldThis was not suitable for my requirements.Print and detail on maps too small,and far too much information I didn't require.I am sure it could be useful to a student of geography.For me looking for detail of places I have visited or might visit it was most disappointing e.g. tried Bregense in Austria,impossible.
Published on 1 Oct. 2011 by Hartley

4.0 out of 5 stars Times atlas of the World - but which one to get?, 20 Sept. 2008
Henk Beentje "Henk Beentje" (Kew, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Times Universal Atlas of the World (World Atlas) (Hardcover)

The next is the CONCISE, costs £37, is 37x27 cm, has 105 plates on 198 map pages, and a 140-page index to 130,000 names. And 32 city maps, which is something the biggest lacks!

The next is the UNIVERSAL, costs £ 33, is 32x27 cm, has 170 pages of maps (not plates - probably 90 plates), an index to 50,000 names, and 32 city maps.

The next is the REFERENCE, costs £19, has 104 pages of maps (not plates - probably 60 plates), an index to 45,000 names, and 46 city maps.

The next is DESKTOP, costs £ 11, 25x19 cm;
then the COMPACT, costs £ 7, 21x15 cm;
then the MINI, costs £ 5, 15x11 cm.

Are those names logical, or what? I don't think so - but I hope this little guide helps. I got myself the CONCISE (that is, number two) and am well-pleased. Beautiful clear mapping, and it just fits into the bookcase; the largest one is very beautiful, but will have to live permanently on some large, weight-bearing surface!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for every day reference, 3 Jun. 2009
L. J. Roach "ljroach" (Wales) - See all my reviews
I have just received my new Atlas (in super quick time might I add) and it's a fabulous book if you want something for every day reference. The first section has beautifully printed maps dating from c.1890 to the 1980s, to give you an idea of where boundaries laid and political stances. As well as excellent maps of the present day, it has detailed maps of major cities such as London, New York, Paris etc. so it would even be handy if you were planning a holiday! An excellent buy and suitable for all the family with a easy to read index. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the Moon!, 8 Jan. 2011
My partner has been looking for an exceptional atlas because he is interested in knowing where places actually are (obviously) with additional information that is educational. I saw the atlas reviews on Amazon and decided to buy this one for a Christmas present. He was over the moon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful and informative atlas, 6 Jan. 2012
This atlas was bought as a present for my brother, who is a teacher. There are a fair few books within this series, but I chose this one because it seems to strike a good balance between size and content. The book is a good size to keep as a 'coffee-table' book or on display, without taking up the whole living room! It is very informative, providing an overview of the different countries and often providing very interesting geographical facts about places of interest. My only criticism would be that most of the aerial photgraphs are very small, and more full page photos would have been appreciated. However, I believe this is something addressed in some of the other sized books in the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Times World Atlas, 1 Oct. 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars atlas of the world, 4 May 2012
Mr. Robert B. Butcher (maidstone,kent,uk) - See all my reviews
obviously by buying over the net you take a chance on quality . in this case i am disappointed by the lack of good detailed mapping at the expense of data and pictures . all round a good item but not what i really wanted .

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough maps !, 27 Feb. 2015
P. Shalders "monkopete" (devon) - See all my reviews
Expected a big book of maps i.e. an atlas , some maps but an awful lot of history and geography text....a poor buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atlas, 6 Jan. 2010
M. Bezdenezhnykh (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Big, beautifully packed book. Great looking gift. Maybe, too big is size? But very nice pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars atlas review, 1 Jun. 2009
Mr. M. A. J. Booth "M.BOOTH" (devon eng) - See all my reviews
excellent book good detail of the world plus lots more information the best atlas ive ever had.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Times Universal Atlas of the World, 23 Jun. 2012
G. V. Bennett (Newark, Notts.) - See all my reviews
Purchased as a birthday present for our 10 year old grandson. The outer packaging was excellent, but the item itself was not shrink wrapped. The pages appeared to be a little 'warped' suggesting the possibility that it had been stored in a slightly damp environment. Ordinarily, we would have sent it back, but as the birthday was imminent, we decided to keep it. Cannot comment on the content of the Atlas, as we only managed a quick scan through to ascertain that it was not a 'used' item, before posting it. Overall, not impressed with the delivered quality of this item.

The Times Universal Atlas of the World (World Atlas)
The Times Universal Atlas of the World (World Atlas) by The Times (Hardcover - 1 Sept. 2008)
Used & New from: £3.00