5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting
J.R.R. Tolkien was best known for his epic fantasy "Lord of the Rings" and his studies in myth and language. But Tolkien was also the proud dad of four kids -- and he didn't just read "Hobbit" to them at bedtime. Over the course of many years, he wrote and illustrated detailed, whimsical letters from Father Christmas, populated with a clumsy polar bear, elves and...
Published on 28 Feb 2006 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but buy a bigger version
My Dad read me this book as a child, so I bought it to read to the children in my class. Same magical stories, but isn't the same in a small paperback. Buy in a big hardback. The pictures just aren't the same this small.
Published 20 months ago by D Castano

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical - absolutely timeless and a great inspiration for your own Children to get letters from Father Christmas, 16 Oct 2012
If you are stuck for a present this year, for either Children or adults who love the spirit of Christmas, this is a winner!

I've spent the last two Christmas eve's reading letters to my Children and nephews who are absolutely enthralled.

Its also great for some inspiration if you want your Children to receive letters!

5.0 out of 5 stars wish i was young, 17 Aug 2012
If i'd had these letters when i was a little girl, they would of made my christams. fantastic, heart warming, and i may write some for my newphews as my children are too big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
Bought this as a Christmas gift. The recipient had a copy when she was a little girl and has been looking for a copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice warm read!, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
My Book Club were looking for a nice Christmassy read, fun and cheery to get us in the mood for our post-read dinner! This book fitted the bill very well, creating a nice nostalgic feel as `Santa' filled the stockings of the Tolkein children to a greater or lesser extent over a number of years. I would love to have been written to as a child in this thought-provoking way and the banter between Santa and the North Polar Bear would have (and still does as an adult) make my chuckle. Also the illustrations are excellent! Thanks to Christopher and Baillie for keeping the dream alive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Letters from Father Christmas JRR Tolkien, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
This book is magical for all young children. It really helped my daughter to enjoy reading! She is 8 and quite often it is difficult to motivate her to read, but she didn't want to put this book down. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical read, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
This is a book that was given to me as a child and I now read it with my children every year. It is truely magical and a big part of our Christmas tradition. I recommend everyone to read it, however old you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
Lovely Book, beautifully written as you might expect from Tolkein my 9 year old son loved it and i certianly enjoyed reading it with him at bed time. It really puts you in the Christmas spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book - unforgettable!, 15 Oct 2011
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
A lovely book. Tolkien wrote these letters for his own children between the years of 1925 and 1939. As usual, he creates a marvellously imaginative world - goblin wars, a clumsy but lovable Polar Bear, naughty polar bear cubs and elves - all accompanied by hypnotically beautiful pictures. I adored this book as a child and have now bought it to read to my own children this Christmas, but the last letter always gets me choked up - be warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
A collection of charming tales by Tolkien as written by father christmas to his children.
Absoloutly beautiful, I'll be purchasing a copy for my niece shortly!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Letters from Father Christmas (Paperback)
A great insight into the man. I didn't read it all but took inspiration and have now started the same with my grandchildren. They were thrilled with their first letter last Christmas.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Letters from Father Christmas
Letters from Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 1 Oct 2009)