5.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Adolph's Tracing Your Scottish Family History
Even if you are not of Scottish ancestry, this is a book worth reading. It delivers interesting insights into the history of Scotland. It also generously guides you, if of Scottish ancestry, through the websites and other sources of information for your own private research. The pictures are first rate.
Published on 5 Mar 2009 by Mrs. B. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but don't go for the Kindle edition
This review relates to the Kindle edition of this book

Published on 29 April 2012 by Bookish Lass

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthony Adolph's Tracing Your Scottish Family History, 5 Mar 2009
Mrs. B. Davis (London) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars worthwhile, 17 Feb 2009
Mr. K. N. Watt "wurz" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History (Hardcover)
keen geneologists and family tree makers will find a lot of this old hat but there are enough new and interesting topics with website links. Ragman Rolls info and links and some other more obscure links which are no longer in use or ar broken. Nice looking book and a good pick up and put down read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family history, 15 Jan 2010
This review is from: Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a present for a friend. He is tracing his family history in Scotland so I thought it would be ideal for his purposes. His feedback is that he finds it very informative and it has given fresh impetus to his search.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tracing your family history, 21 Jan 2010
Ms. Ab O'reilly (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History (Hardcover)
Concise and easy to follow. The steps to searching your family history is set out in a logical manner, and there are plenty of web site addresses to help you discover more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but don't go for the Kindle edition, 29 April 2012
This review relates to the Kindle edition of this book

I downloaded this book to my Kindle as I wanted something portable that I could possibly carry with me as a reference. None of the gold standard references for Scottish research, which I have in the print editions (Tracing Your Scottish Ancestors (National Archives of Scotland) (not even in its latest edition!) Tracing Scottish Local History) or the general works like Scottish Genealogyor The Scottish Family Tree Detective: Tracing Your Ancestors in Scotland)are available on Kindle and so I downloaded this one.

I was disappointed in the version downloaded to Kindle. Paragraphs are interrupted in mid-sentence by other material, such as photos, tables, text boxes, and continue a few 'page' later. Even captions are detached from their image and may appear in isolation on the following 'page'.

I'm not happy about the Kindle version of a book that,in the printed edition, makes good use of colour and text boxes to help readers digest the content. The content is useful and helpful, particularly for a new researcher though making sense of breaks and interruptions might affect the flow of reading. For me there's a lot of repetition but that's because I've got a number of books on this subject. I expected that, and the lack of colour, since that would have been outweighed by the usefulness of its portability.

I'd be interested to know what these books would be like on, say, an eReader or iPad if there are versions for those devices. This is the first book that's not pure text that I've downloaded. I'm now not minded to download Malouf's Moorish: Flavours from Morocco to Marrakesh: Flavours from Mecca to Marrakech I realise it will be black and white, alas, but can't face the possiblity of random interruptions to recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scottish Family History., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History (Hardcover)
Very helpful book for those of us who are Scots. A good buy.

Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History
Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History by Anthony Adolph (Hardcover - 3 Nov 2008)
Used & New from: 0.38