5.0 out of 5 stars Not Laughed Like This In Ages
Published on 30 Jan. 2009 by Simon Savidge Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting!
Having read two other autobiographies by leading comedians, I thought this would be full of funny little quips, but was surprised to find it extremely truthful and even sad in places. Although Alan Carr is one of the funniest comedians on TV now, he didn't appear to have had a pleasant fun filled upbringing. I'll read it again and probably again, it's well worth reading,...
Published on 7 May 2013 by Michelle Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Laughed Like This In Ages, 30 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
I think Alan Carr is hilarious, I gather he is a bit like marmite in the fact that some people love him and some people hate him. I did wonder what an autobiography of his would entail as he isn't old. I knew it would be funny, and I was proved right on that. I haven't laughed out loud on a tube so much reading a book ever, the looks I was getting were something special. He is incredibly funny. I promise you there will be much mirth reading this book. "Puberty had been unkind. Whereas it had come in the night and left the other boys with chiselled, stubbly chins and deep masculine voices, I'd been left with a huge pair of knockers and the voice of a pensioner."

In terms of him not having enough to write about I was proven completely wrong. He starts from his younger days when his father was in charge of the football clubs with his son being the least football interested child and how that felt, travels around the world after university to doing data entry for Mr Dog. There is a lot of heart in this book and what I find interesting is Alan Carr's self doubt that he could make people laugh and that for him until a few years ago comedy was something he never even dreamed of doing as he didn't think he could. He of course tells you all this with such comic timing and writing that you are giggling all the way through. My particular favourite stories involved him and cats or dogs they seemed to make me laugh endlessly but I think it's the way that he writes it.

There is definitely the possibility of a second autobiography as this book finishes pretty much at the start of his joining The Friday Night Project so you don't get to hear what the celebrities he has met are like which come Heat Magazine fans might have loved to see. What you do get is a delightful insight to a boy growing up in Norwich, dealing with slight confusion of who he is and what he is all about and going on to drama school and eventually the comedy circuit with all the highs and lows along the way. I recommend this to anyone who like a laugh and if you are an Alan Carr fan this is unmissable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 8 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
I absolutely love Alan Carr and was not disappointed one bit. As you're reading this book you can just imagine Alan saying every word. I really did laugh out loud and couldnt put it down - i read it in a day! What i love about Alan is that he doesn't take himself seriously and constantly sends himself up. He was destined to come together with Justin Lee Collins who are a fantastic double act in their own rights. May you continue to make us laugh Alan, the world needs more people like you!

5.0 out of 5 stars FUNNY GUY!!!, 22 Dec. 2008
Jason Thorne (England / Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
This was a very funny book which had you laughing almost all the way from cover to cover. Alan Carr is one of the funniest guys around on the circuit today and reading this book you can see why. If you like Alan Carr you won't go far wrong here and try his DVD's out the man is a comedy legend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 5 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
From the front cover flap:

Hello and welcome to my life.

Oh, and what a life! From the grimness of doing data entry for Mr Dog to the dizzy heights of `The Friday Night Project' and performing for Her Majesty at the Royal Variety Performance. My life's been like a long flume, up and down with a couple of damp patches in the middle.

Take my hand, I want to lead you through my life. Within these pages you will come face to face with my parents, my dog Minstrel, my friends and a whole load of waifs and strays that have helped to make my journey that little bit more memorable. When you read Look Who It Is! I'm sure you'll agree - it's just been one thing after another.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to all. It follows Alan's life up until he accepts the offer to host The Friday Night Project with Justin Lee Colins. It is easy to read, interesting and engaging. He was very honest and I feel I know him now, and would like to meet him. It was very enlightening, I had thought Alan had been on the comedy scene for longer than he has. In fact, it was around 2005 he began to get famous.

Alan does not just talk about comedy though. He speaks of his family, including his famous, football manager Dad, Graham Carr and all his life experiences to date, which include university, travelling around the world and horrid temp jobs such as working in a call centre. There were several things in this book I could relate too, which made it even more enjoyable.

The book was not as funny as I was expecting it to be, however it did have me laughing and chuckling in places so I don't feel particularly let down.

This is a great book; an honest story where Alan says it like it is, and doesn't go for the sympathy vote. It is a bit cheeky that he has left the door open for a sequel in a few years, but hey, good for him.

An enjoyable book.

9/10

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty regular life told in a very funny way!, 28 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
I read this book in about two days because it was such a warm and cosy experience (no, not like that). Alan's life wasn't very fabulous prior to The Friday Night Project but his stories of call centres, mad friends and the early days of his Stand Up career will have you laughing out loud. Best not to read this on the tube or a bus!

However, it appears that this is obviously the first of two books. Those expecting to hear a tell all about all the A listers he's met on The Friday & Sunday Night Projects, prepare to be disappointed. Apart from that, it's his own life that proves the most entertaining of all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure gold.., 25 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
I live very close to where Alan grew up, and this made this book all the better for me to read. I could associate with his own experiences and memories which obviously makes the book a lot better. If you haven't had the misfortune of being from the "rose of the shires" don't worry though, this book still has plenty of laugh out loud moments and an honest enough storyline to keep anybody turning the pages.

If you liked Peter Kay's book, you'll like this. If you like any of Alan Carr's shows, on TV or stand-up, you'll like this. If you can read, read this. Its just good pure fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars A light-hearted look at the life of a comic, 6 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
It is great to read an autobiography where you can actually hear the subject's voice telling the story. If Alan had a ghost writer they did a brilliant job but I like to think that the man himself wrote every word. Alan is obviously a very normal man who has a great talent for making people laugh - his childhood and young life are very ordinary and the fact he has managed to make his story readable is down to his comic timing and funny asides. True fans will love this book, those wanting to find out some dark, deep side to Alan will be disappointed but I think that's because there is no dark side to him. A fun, uplifting read which could only have been improved with more reference to his later work and some celebrity goss!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!!, 10 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
Alan Carr is a total sweetie. He's a real person, just like you and me - and that is meant as a good thing.

Hearing about Alan's early life, his experiences as a homosexual, (though really not a very active one) and growing up in the limelight created by his football managing father, it really is a lesson for all of us in how life is a trial for everyone, even when life is pretty normal.

I had known Alan was funny, (his frequent TV appearances had proven this) however I had never know that he hadn't just popped up out of nowhere to entertain me.

Thank you Alan for providing such entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Growing on me, 14 Nov. 2010
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Alan Carr has grown on me over the time he has been known to the public. I have never watched The Friday Night Project or Ding Dong; just know him for the times he has been on Radio 2 covering and then when he got his own Saturday Night show. So I came to this book with very little knowledge about Alan Carr apart from the fact that he has made me laugh out loud on occasions.

I was pleasantly surprised, first off by the fact that I am the same age has him and I would certainly not consider writing an autobiography about my life (although I am not famous). However, actually what we get is a book which goes right back to his childhood growing up in Northampton with a father who obviously hoped and wished that his son was going to take after him and go into football.

In fact Alan tried his hardest to like what his father wanted him to like, but it was not to be. Although interestingly enough, it is football terms that are used as the chapter/section headings for this autobiography. Perhaps Alan is trying to please his father now. The early years of Alan's life and the majority of the book is where Alan is trying to come to terms with who he is and where he fits into this world and what role he plays.

Here is a boy who was bullied because of his looks and his sexual orientation but only the former was known to Alan it has taken a long time for the latter to be realised as to that is why they were picking on him. Humour became his defence mechanism a common theme which I am sure many people can relate to. He does not make an issue of being gay apart from bemoaning the predictions of a fortune teller who said he would find true love by the time he was 30. That is just about finding love. He is still waiting. His comedy routine is not based on this, but on observational comedy of those around him and his experiences. This is what this book fundamentally is; a wry look at how he has got to where he is through his travelling experiences and life working in a call centre. Where he admits, that he was shallow enough to have his head turned by a £13,000 salary. The characters he has met along the way just give him more material for the book, these people do exist and we can all tell tales, tall or otherwise about whom we have met in the past and how they influenced us in many ways.

There is obviously going to be more scope for another autobiography, but I think we will have to wait a number of years. Carr has written up to when he started the Friday Night Project and became far better known in the public eye. The story is continuing......................

5.0 out of 5 stars All hail Alan Carr.., 4 Nov. 2008
C. De Freitas (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story (Hardcover)
This book is amazing, it's one of the funniest books I have ever read. It took me quite a long time to read this book.. not because it was boring, because it was so funny I had to put it down after every couple of pages to recompose myself.

I challenge anyone to read this book without laughing outloud!

Alan we love you!

Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story
Look Who It Is! Alan Carr - My Story by Alan Carr (Hardcover - 1 Oct. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01