5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!
Published on 5 July 2009 by D. Richardson

3.0 out of 5 stars readable but wouldn't really recommend.
After reading the reviews thought this book would blow me away, but guessed the ending as soon as I'd started. It didn't make me laugh either. Was okay, readable but wouldn't really recommend.
Published 1 month ago by g1llyt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 5 July 2009
D. Richardson "DAR" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Thing Led to Another (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's very well written, conveys the emotions really well, has great, likeable characters who aren't without their flaws. The writing flows well and story line has a good pace. Tessa finds herself pregnant by her friend and occasional bed partner - a situation quite plausible. The story is well-padded out with lots of characters that you genuinely feel for. Her emotions on times had me reaching for the hankies, but there are some genuinely funny moments too. A great holiday read and one you may find yourself re-reading. I'd definitely look out for another book by her. Buy and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 12 Mar 2013
This was an impulse buy, the blurb was intriguing and I quite liked the cover too. I discovered that the book was based on the authors column in Marie Claire (all about her falling pregnant by her best mate) and wondered if this would make the story feel too real for fiction or if it would give it an extra interesting edge.

It had a fantastic start in my opinion, the prologue was engaging and made me feel involved straight away - I found myself wanting the best outcome for this character, Tess, who I had only just met and who was in the toilets waiting for the result of a pregnancy test.

I became very caught up in Tess's life - her friendship with Jim fascinated me and her feelings towards Laurence confused me. I also enjoyed following her pregnancy and seeing how it affected her day-to-day life and friendships with those closest to her. I couldn't relate to the accidental pregnancy because both of my children were planned but I often found myself nodding my head in recognition of many of her pregnancy/baby issues and concerns.

Towards the end I found that I couldn't decide which direction I wanted Tess to go, she was already in somewhat of an unconventional situation so I wanted her to find the best solution (I really did take this character to heart). The witty writing style had me laughing out loud many times and there was also family dramas, complicated ex boyfriends and a talking snail toy to contend with! The ending was great, it really wrapped everything up nicely and left me with a smile on my face.

This was a fun book with likeable characters, I definitely want to read more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars one thing led to another, 23 April 2009
Lg Sanders - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Thing Led to Another (Paperback)
When I first started reading this book I did wonder why i choose it in the first place...didn't take long to realise it was a great buy, a lovely modern version of a good old fashioned love story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and Witty, 9 July 2014
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I didn't much enjoy Katy Regan's third novel 'How We Met', and so approached this one, her first, with some trepidation (I'd bought it before reading 'How We Met'). However, I needn't have worried - 'One Thing Led to Another' is a beautiful, witty and sometimes poignant story about love and unexpected motherhood.

Tess is a 29-year-old journalist working for a small magazine specializing in disaster stories. She wants to move on jobwise, but isn't sure how. She wants to fall in love, but the only constant man in her life is her best mate from university and occasional bed companion, Jim - and as he's her best friend, she can't imagine him also being her partner. So, for now she consoles herself with lively nights with her mates, drinking too much and gossiping. And on one of those occasions, she ends up at Jim's, drinking too much, they fall into bed, don't take precautions - and soon after Tess realizes she is pregnant. But she and Jim have never intended to become a full-time couple - what should she do? And what does Jim want? Things are further complicated when Tess's ex, Laurence, who she never quite got over, turns up out of the blue and suggests they get together (once he's extricated himself from his current relationship). But the careless, dashing Laurence has never seemed ideal father material - and how will he react to Tess's news? It takes Tess six months to work out what she really does want and need - six months in which she learns a great deal about her family, friends and the curious nature of love.

This book was in a totally different league to 'How We Met'. For one thing, Jim, the hero, was a really interesting character (unlike whiney Fraser in 'How We Met') - complex, but also hugely likeable. I loved his passion for teaching English, his stoicism about his past and his strange cooking experiments. Tess was also a lovely narrator, witty and wry (the Sebastian Snail incident had me laughing for some time, among other choice episodes). I really sympathized with both of them and their confusion about their relationship - and Regan did well at showing their fundamental closeness (the scenes in Whitstable were absolutely beautiful, particularly the creative writing practice). Gina and Victoria were great fun, and I liked the way that Regan began each chapter with anecdotes from different mothers describing their pregnancy experiences. True, I sometimes feel Regan's writing could benefit a bit of copy-editing (I don't like her slangy use of the word 'like', for example), but whereas this bothered me in 'How We Met' I was so engrossed with the story here that it didn't matter so much. If I have a criticism of the story, it is that we got rather too much of Laurence (who seemed frankly an idiot to me right from the start, and surely someone as sharp as Tess would have realized he was a twit sooner?) and not enough of the plot strands about Tess's new friend Rachel or her parents, both of which were very interesting and could have done with more space. But these are only small criticisms of a book that in many ways was a lovely, engrossing light read. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars readable but wouldn't really recommend., 2 July 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 11 Nov 2013
The story is a bit predictable but it's perfect as a bit of an escape from the everyday troubles of life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Sep 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a good story, I could not put it down. It will appeal to all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern and captivating, 8 July 2013
This book held my interest throughout, and I would like to read more of Katy Regan's books in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trashy, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: One Thing Led to Another (Paperback)
I bought this book for only pound and I can see why it had that price tag. I didn't get into the book as I found the 30ish year old main character, reckless and ridiculous. Wasn't my cup of tea, ok perhaps as a holiday read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 5 April 2013
A nice, easy to read story with enough of a twist to keep you interested and characters that you actually care about

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Thing Led to Another
One Thing Led to Another by Katy Regan (Paperback - 4 Oct 2010)
8.99