The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£7.19+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 13 January 2014
First off, I loved the first two books in this series. I still think the concept is original and the characters are fresh, but whatever happened to trilogies? You knew where you were with three books, it gave structure to stories and made authors critical of their own content. Now the fashion is to milk a concept as long as possible. Even the best authors end up producing 'filler' books - and I'm sad to say this is one such. That's not to say Peter V Brett isn't in good company; step forward Terry Goodkind, George R R Martin, and the late Robert Jordan. These are all authors who at their best are unputdownable.

This book could have been well edited to a quarter of the length and been a great bridge at the start of the next (final?) book. It could be argued that this is the book in the series where the characters are given more depth and complexity, but it's done at such a pedestrian pace as to be numbing.

The author recovers a portion of his zest in some of the combat and battle scenes, which can be gripping. Although sadly there are exceptions here too with one major battle able to be summarised as [SPOILER] Jardir wears cloak of unseeing, sneaks up behind mind demon, kills mind demon, battle over.

The other times that the action heats up is when the author decides (and he's by no means alone here Mr Martin) that adult fiction means 'adult' fiction. There are times when stories have to include sex, be that suggested or detailed, but chucking in stiff this, wet that, and throbbing the other is just plain unnecessary. Frankly there are a limited number of occasions where the word lubing would be acceptable and this is absolutely not one of them.

Jerky attempts at erotica aside, this is a book that fans of the series up to this point will buy, read, and hope that the next book is more akin to the first two. It's not bad, it's just a filler.
on 27 May 2014
I thought the Painted Man was a great book, different,well written great character development. The back filling of life histories worked really well, providing depth to relationships and motive, creating characters that you cared about and a different storyline to so many others in this genre. Book 2 was still full of promise and very readable so book 3, the daylight war is just dissapointing. The Painted man has acquired a yokel accent that is quite frankly irritating, the other characters are developing strange changes in personality, the storyline ambles all over the place and the bizarre sexual exploits of pretty much everybody are just boring. Dissapointingly I find myself rooting for the demons in the hope that they dispose of the bucolic painted man and his totally psychotic wife before he becomes king of the underworld which is where he seems to be heading....not sure I can face book 4.....
on 15 May 2014
Re-released as a separate entry in Amazon, that can't possibly be so that people can't see all the critical reviews of the book, instead just seeing the suspiciously repetitive 5 star reviews....

The ideas in the book are as good as in the previous installments but there are major flaws:

1. Lots of filler, meaning large sections where nothing very interesting happens. Lots of people talking about whats just happened and will happen next, lots of politics, lots of talk about emotions and love lives, you get the idea.
2. One word is never used if ten would do.
3. Yet again the approach early on is to follow a character from childhood right through to their participation in events from previous books. It worked in the previous two books but at this stage its a little boring and I hope it is not repeated in future books.
4. All this "ent" stuff and pigeon English really grates after a while.
5. Oddly the battle with the demons doesn't seem to be a key focus any more. In fact the majority of the book doesn't even really involve demons, the result being the tension and action from the first book is gone and its been replaced with endless yapping. Its closer to a randy middle ages soap opera than to Painted Man.
6. Since nothing much happens other than chatter you really need strong characters but I thought most were pretty dull in this book. Even the characters from the previous books are beginning to feel a bit 2D and boring. We don't have any story lines as bad as the Jardir/Leesha one though which is progress.
7. There's some un-necessarily gratuitous acts in the book, seemingly just for shock value. I don't mind dark story lines but I'm not entirely sure I like how Brett chooses to handle them.
8. The ending is a big let down. Its nice that around 70-80% through the book something actually happens but then we get to the cliffhanger ending worthy of any low-rent soap opera.

Of all the issues the main one is that, other that in the closing stages, the pace of the book is painfully slow. I find that a little surprising as the first book in the series was so fast paced and exciting and it leaves me wondering if Brett knows where he is going with the books?

I suspect not. That wouldn't necessarily be a big issue if the books kept up the quality/pace of Painted Main but I think he's falling back on the old tactic of writing long bloated books whilst the author tries to work out what to to do next (think Robert Jordan).

So whilst I'm hoping this book is just a blip, I'm not sure.
on 24 February 2014
Now anyone who has read the first 2 books will most likely ignore any review of this book and will read it and expect to enjoy it, just like I did, but what a mistake I made.

Now I loved the first book, the second not quite as much but still a strong book but this the third in the series is frankly awful.

Now I may be being unfair as I could not get past half way but its very rare for me to stop reading a book and this is the only time I can remember not finishing a book which is part of an on going series which I have already invested time into.

The main problem is the secondary character or the hero's "promised" what a charmer she is, I can not remember ever hoping a character would die as much as her. The main problem is with the terrible accent that not only she uses to butcher the English language but seems to of spread to the hero ( I don't remember him talking like this in the first book) is he aiming for American south or English southwest? whatever it is its painful and it makes the book a chore to read.

Her second problem is she is a complete *****, why would anyone put up with her? all believability goes out of the window where she is concerned because there is no way the hero of the first 2 books would shack up with her.

So yes anyone who has enjoyed the first 2 books will read this anyway but the chances are you wont read the forth book.
on 27 May 2014
Peter V Brett’s ‘The Demon Cycle’ series is quickly looking like becoming the novel equivalent of the ‘Star Wars’ prequel films i.e. loads of waffle over three films as you wait for the 20 minute pay off at the end. This is certainly the case with ‘The Daylight War’ the third book in the series that feels like filler for a wider story. Tensions between the Northern and Southern areas of Brett’s world continue to rise as before. There is still no decision who the real Deliverer is. Something is going to happen, but does it really take 5 novels and thousands of pages to tell it? Brett could have been done by now and moving onto his next fantasy trilogy.

The problem is compounded by the structure that Brett uses. Once again large chunks of this book are made up of treading old ground through the eyes of a different character. We do not need to know the emotional blueprint of absolutely everyone, especially if it means that characters such as the Painted Man do not even appear in the book until almost 300 pages in. More structural issues are caused by Brett keeping the two potential Deliverers separate; their stories are structured quite similarly and you feel like you are reading the same thing twice.

Another area that gets to me is the unlikable characters in the book. There are a few people, mostly from the Hollow, who you want to see succeed, but many you do not. I am also uneasy by the archetypes in the novel; seemingly an alternative Medieval Northern Europe and an alternative Persian Empire. However, is Brett launching a scathing attack on the less desirable aspects of certain religions? By not making his alterative fantasy fantastical enough, Brett is treading a thin line of dubious taste.

The real shame is that Brett can write some great action and the concept of creatures owning the night is a good one. Once the final act of the book comes about it is electric, it just felt that the first 600 pages of the book were unnecessary padding.
on 22 March 2013
I really loved the first part of this intended trilogy, now extended into 5 parts. The character development of the first two books was really good, but this book leaves a lot to be desired. There too much emphasis being placed on side kicks (or secondary characters) leaving the primary characters out, the flashbacks are painful and the entire book could have easily been done in 250 pages.

There is so much filling just to make it a big book, characters just waffle about things without moving forward. I couldn't put the first book down, the second less and the third I really considered leaving, and read it over two weeks as it was too painful.

The title of the book is (The Daylight War), for heaven's sake WHERE IS IT. The book improves in the last 4 chapters but before that the book lacks story development and progress.

Why on earth do we need to have so much childish sexuality, if I wanted sexuality I could have read 50 shades of sexuality.

I respect the writer, as his efforts in the first two books were amazing, but I seriously believe that he should go back into his previous successful methods and abandon the money making methods of making books span so many volumes, loosing most of his readers in the process. Three good selling books are far better than five
that don't sell.

I certainty am not going to buy the next book when it comes out, I'll wait till it drops in price and people have read and reviewed it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 May 2014
As has been said, the first two books were excellent but alas (or "Honest word") this 3rd book is poor. It feels as though many segments have been cut and pasted from the previous books just to "fluff" the book out a bit. There seems very little movement in the plot/story even after ploughing through this 3rd book. Most of the plot is looking into the past which we've already read about. I hoped the Painted Man was going to be a solid trilogy but feel let down as it's looking like a yearly release. I saved this book as my holiday read and felt let down.....will i buy the 4th release....not unless it's cheap !!
on 2 June 2014
After one excellent first book, a mediocre to good second book, I am now wading through this mess of a Richard the Third. Tedious, boring, frustrating and wanting a good kick up the backside to try and get the plot moving. It is clear that what once was a trilogy has been stretched into five books, with an unhealthy dose of 'filler' to occupy the gaps.

There I was, waiting 2 hours for my passport to be stamped and I found reading the unfamiliar Vietnamese signs more interesting than continuing with this book. I read that Brett reckons he has the pacing about right, in which case he has a target audience of snails and sloths in mind.
on 3 May 2013
Plot progression was slow.

Arlen and Reena's "Rural" accent makes them come across dull and simple. "Slap the fool out of me" became their catchphrase, said to the point of annoyance.

Inevera's childhood was ok, but went on too long.

Many of the side characters have no depth, and end up coming across as simple.

At time the writing style makes me think i'm reading a childs novel. And don't get me started on the childish sexuality.

Finally, the series would have been better with less books (waffle removed) so that stuff actually happens. If it takes another 3 years for the next book, then thats me done with the series. Ent worth the wait.
on 4 April 2013
The first two books were great. This one - eagerly anticipated - was awful. I did not manage to finish it. The main character seems to wander around at night flashing like a cross between a superhero and a fruit machine, and if I never hear the expression 'slap the fool out of me' again it will be too soon.
Very unfortunate.