4.0 out of 5 stars and a good follow up to the predecessor
Decent book, and a good follow up to the predecessor. It leaves plenty of 'scope' for the inevitable next book in the series.
Plenty of action, some plot twists you probably wouldn't have imagined, and - best of all - a great big huge fat book twice the size of most novels I buy.
I think the author is maturing in his diversity and complexity - I see an...
Published 1 month ago by Chekov

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a let down.
Now anyone who has read the first 2 books will most likely ignore any review of this book and will read it and expect to enjoy it, just like I did, but what a mistake I made.

Now I loved the first book, the second not quite as much but still a strong book but this the third in the series is frankly awful.

Now I may be being unfair as I could not get...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. R. W. Barlow

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a let down., 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3) (Paperback)

Now I may be being unfair as I could not get past half way but its very rare for me to stop reading a book and this is the only time I can remember not finishing a book which is part of an on going series which I have already invested time into.

The main problem is the secondary character or the hero's "promised" what a charmer she is, I can not remember ever hoping a character would die as much as her. The main problem is with the terrible accent that not only she uses to butcher the English language but seems to of spread to the hero ( I don't remember him talking like this in the first book) is he aiming for American south or English southwest? whatever it is its painful and it makes the book a chore to read.

Her second problem is she is a complete *****, why would anyone put up with her? all believability goes out of the window where she is concerned because there is no way the hero of the first 2 books would shack up with her.

So yes anyone who has enjoyed the first 2 books will read this anyway but the chances are you wont read the forth book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to trilogies?, 13 Jan 2014
griff1974 (London, England) - See all my reviews
First off, I loved the first two books in this series. I still think the concept is original and the characters are fresh, but whatever happened to trilogies? You knew where you were with three books, it gave structure to stories and made authors critical of their own content. Now the fashion is to milk a concept as long as possible. Even the best authors end up producing 'filler' books - and I'm sad to say this is one such. That's not to say Peter V Brett isn't in good company; step forward Terry Goodkind, George R R Martin, and the late Robert Jordan. These are all authors who at their best are unputdownable.

This book could have been well edited to a quarter of the length and been a great bridge at the start of the next (final?) book. It could be argued that this is the book in the series where the characters are given more depth and complexity, but it's done at such a pedestrian pace as to be numbing.

The author recovers a portion of his zest in some of the combat and battle scenes, which can be gripping. Although sadly there are exceptions here too with one major battle able to be summarised as [SPOILER] Jardir wears cloak of unseeing, sneaks up behind mind demon, kills mind demon, battle over.

The other times that the action heats up is when the author decides (and he's by no means alone here Mr Martin) that adult fiction means 'adult' fiction. There are times when stories have to include sex, be that suggested or detailed, but chucking in stiff this, wet that, and throbbing the other is just plain unnecessary. Frankly there are a limited number of occasions where the word lubing would be acceptable and this is absolutely not one of them.

Jerky attempts at erotica aside, this is a book that fans of the series up to this point will buy, read, and hope that the next book is more akin to the first two. It's not bad, it's just a filler.

1.0 out of 5 stars I prefer root canal treatment than reading this book any further, 2 Jun 2014
P. M. Egan (Tamworth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3) (Paperback)
After one excellent first book, a mediocre to good second book, I am now wading through this mess of a Richard the Third. Tedious, boring, frustrating and wanting a good kick up the backside to try and get the plot moving. It is clear that what once was a trilogy has been stretched into five books, with an unhealthy dose of 'filler' to occupy the gaps.

There I was, waiting 2 hours for my passport to be stamped and I found reading the unfamiliar Vietnamese signs more interesting than continuing with this book. I read that Brett reckons he has the pacing about right, in which case he has a target audience of snails and sloths in mind.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Filling, Lacking Content and Story Progress, 22 Mar 2013
I really loved the first part of this intended trilogy, now extended into 5 parts. The character development of the first two books was really good, but this book leaves a lot to be desired. There too much emphasis being placed on side kicks (or secondary characters) leaving the primary characters out, the flashbacks are painful and the entire book could have easily been done in 250 pages.

There is so much filling just to make it a big book, characters just waffle about things without moving forward. I couldn't put the first book down, the second less and the third I really considered leaving, and read it over two weeks as it was too painful.

The title of the book is (The Daylight War), for heaven's sake WHERE IS IT. The book improves in the last 4 chapters but before that the book lacks story development and progress.

Why on earth do we need to have so much childish sexuality, if I wanted sexuality I could have read 50 shades of sexuality.

I respect the writer, as his efforts in the first two books were amazing, but I seriously believe that he should go back into his previous successful methods and abandon the money making methods of making books span so many volumes, loosing most of his readers in the process. Three good selling books are far better than five
that don't sell.

I certainty am not going to buy the next book when it comes out, I'll wait till it drops in price and people have read and reviewed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of the three by far the worse, 3 April 2013
The first two books were great so I look forward to this novel thinking it would give us closure but instead it proved to be a hard read (yup, you heard me) and I only kept on in the hope it would get better. It didn't. I'll put it this way, I enjoyed the first two books so much I've read them both several times. One read of this one was enough.

The story line is weak to non existant and the expansion of charactors is overly done. It's a formular that worked well for the first two books but keeping the same formular for this one was a mistake as he's simply run out of key people.

It's not subtle either, at the diasapointing end he's left it not only at an unfortunatly weak part of the story it's also glaringly obvious what the next part of the plot will be.

Frankly, he's lost his way and I just hope the novellas will be enough to re-kindle my enthusiasm enough to buy book 4.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear....., 5 May 2014
As has been said, the first two books were excellent but alas (or "Honest word") this 3rd book is poor. It feels as though many segments have been cut and pasted from the previous books just to "fluff" the book out a bit. There seems very little movement in the plot/story even after ploughing through this 3rd book. Most of the plot is looking into the past which we've already read about. I hoped the Painted Man was going to be a solid trilogy but feel let down as it's looking like a yearly release. I saved this book as my holiday read and felt let down.....will i buy the 4th release....not unless it's cheap !!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 14 Mar 2014
Oh my goodness, how could such a promising plot turn so rancid. The, "I love you Arlen bales" are killing me.
I was real optimistic after the reading the painted man, the desert spear was a let down, and daylight war was... just painful.
I must say, peter v brett does not know how to create decent female characters, the ones in these novels are so pathetic and gullible and rather foolish. spoiler********** leesha is against going to war with the "desert rats", although they have molest, killed and un housed so many of her people, then she goes and sleeps with the king of the rats....WHY. There is nothing natural about the manner peter v brett writes, all his character sound the same, which is annoying, I would say more, but I can not be bothered, as I am dyslexic

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing! dull and long winded, 6 April 2013
I loved the first 2 books in this series, a great new entry into fantasy with some interesting new ideas.

So this book was a huge disappointment. The back story on the Inevera was ok, but the main plot was derisory and so slow.
Basically we have 2 invincible heros and 2 big battles.
Nothing else really happens.

I managed to finish the book but it was a struggle (which is the polar opposite of the first 2) and by the end, as it became obvious that there was gong to be another installment i had lost interest in all of them and was rooting for the demons.

The gap between books was long, and Bret has seemingly fallen victim to writing filler books which cry out for editing down.

This book adds nothing to what was shaping up to be a great series. I won't be looking out for the next one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre, 4 April 2013
The first two books were great. This one - eagerly anticipated - was awful. I did not manage to finish it. The main character seems to wander around at night flashing like a cross between a superhero and a fruit machine, and if I never hear the expression 'slap the fool out of me' again it will be too soon.
Very unfortunate.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 thirds a master piece 1 third to be avoided., 4 April 2013
The parts of the book devoted to the deliverer, both Arlen bales the painted man and Ahmann Jardir the desert spear were excellent. These parts were exhillerating. Full of action, drama, excitement. The character development rich and full, the dialogue engaging and spellbinding. The extensive fight and action sequences were mesmerising. I also loved reading more about Leesha and Rojer, though omitted parts too involved with inevera, so basically i read their story from when they left Jadir and their journey back to the hollow. Again it was spellbinding reading.

Mr Brett is an artist, his battle with the coreling princes was intense, edge of the seat, brilliant, full of action, danger and suspense. It simply can't be written any better than this.

Had he avoided Inevera's back story, or spiced it up a bit, or did something to raise it from the mind numbing slow slog from which it started, that basically killed it off completely for me, then this would have been another 5 star unmissable book. As it is the rest of the book deserves 10 out of 10 with bonus points for fun, originality and spellbinding writing. But I can not recommend the parts about inevera, sorry.

This book was very disappointing after the first two which were so very good. About a third of this book was devoted to Inevera and her back story, her childhood training etc, which was a third too much. I found her back story, boring, long winded, dull, and extremely frustrating, too the point where I started skipping ahead. I just couldn't bring myself to atrophy any more brain cells by perservering with it. If it had an eventual point or objective it took too long, and was too boring, trying to get there so I ended up skipping it.

The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3)
The Daylight War (The Demon Cycle, Book 3) by Peter V. Brett (Paperback - 24 Oct 2013)
6.29