4.0 out of 5 stars More subtle than it seems
I've just finished reading the second book in the Demon War sequence (Peter's very clear it's not a trilogy, but that message doesn't seem to have got thru to the marketing and sales people). I'd really been looking forward to this book, cos I'd enjoyed the first one (The Painted Man) so much.

How did it compare to the first? Well, the Painted Man's (i.e...
Published on 7 July 2010 by Paul Sheridan

3.0 out of 5 stars A fan of the first book, not so much of the second
Everyone here reading this review must have read and enjoyed the first book, otherwise they wouldn't bother to move on to the second. It's really a shame for me to write about how it disappointed me, as the Painted Man was one of the best fantasy releases I've seen in a while.

While I, to a certain extent, enjoyed reading the first half of the book, which is a...
Published on 2 Oct. 2012 by Aoide

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Dec. 2014
Great thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A comparable sequel, 19 July 2011
A sequel which compares well with the original ("The Painted Man"), continuing the story but this time from the aspect of Jardir - Arlen's good friend/nemesis/deliverer? The "flashback" chapters add weight and background to already well developed characters, with the book as a whole providing a great balance of action, politics and individual relationships. The only reason I didn't give it 5 out of 5 is I was disappointed I have to wait for the next instalment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good part 2, 14 Feb. 2011
Mr. P. Roebuck (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Desert Spear (The Demon Cycle, Book 2) (Hardcover)
When you first start this book you might be a little dismayed that it doesn't continue with Arlen's story from the get go. Don't worry, it soon brings him into the picture though.

Very well written, this book had me showing up for work on three and four hours sleep as I couldn't leave it alone.

I'm happy to give it a four out of five (nothing can get five that's 100%!). My work weren't as happy with me falling asleep at my desk :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 30 Mar. 2010
Lovecraft (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
Simple as that.

If you loved The Painted Man, and like me have been waiting for what seems like forever for the follow-up, you won't be disappointed. But be ready for some surprises!

I could say more - I really want to, but I don't want to spoil the fun.

The only downside is that you'll be screaming for the next book by the end...!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great continuation, 27 Jan. 2011
Kash (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Desert Spear (The Demon Cycle, Book 2) (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book. Although I was slightly disappointed that it didn't start off back at Arlen's story at first I totally forgot this as I got drawn further and further into Jadir's story.

Peter V Brett has created a fantastic world along with great characters that I feel you really root for and I can't wait for the third and final installment. Arlen has to be the deliverer!!!!

Would highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Sept. 2014
Great book :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Great series

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read , great characters shame about Leesha, 3 April 2010
Mark K. Seery "magic mad" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Desert Spear (The Demon Cycle, Book 2) (Hardcover)
Great book couldn't put it down. It finishes of the painted man and sets up book 3. My only 2 problems are that Renna after only a couple of months appears to be able to fight almost as well as the Painted man who has been training since he was 11. My other problem was Leesha who after being raped in book 1 takes up with Jadir who is a Raping, pillaging and murdering conquer. OK she saves the Hallow but she loves Jadir and almost marries him forgetting his army has just sacked a city raping anyone old enough to bleed, torturing priests and making slaves of the men old enough to fight. They don't call them slaves though if they fight the demons but they aren't given a choice. Leesha signs up Delievers Hollow to Jadir to become the Hollow Tribe. Will Leesha fight against the Painted man in book 3 if he tries to stop Jadir's murderous conquest of the north? Will she take the Hollow tribe Raping and pillaging? The book really is great but Leesha's shift of character is really painful. For someone who is supposed to be so clever she can out ward anyone she seems to over look alot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Desert Spear (Kindle Edition)
This book as like the Painted man is amazing.Is a bit slow in the uptake but within hours your drawn into the world of Jared and Arlen.The author goes into detail about all the characters within the story line without the boring paragraph after pargraph of autobiography style which can happen in some novels.All in all 5 stars,would recomend to anyone after reading The Painted Man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Desert Spear (Kindle Edition)
This was slow to start as it filled in the lost time in the first book but was definitely worth it in the end. I love the characters and how they all interact. Looking forward to reading the third book tonight!!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›

The Desert Spear (The Demon Cycle, Book 2)
The Desert Spear (The Demon Cycle, Book 2) by Peter V. Brett (Hardcover - 5 April 2010)
Used & New from: £1.99