5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Royal Exile
I reviewed Royal Exile, the first book of the Valisar Trilogy, 2 months ago. When I finished and put down the book, I felt (or maybe I hoped) that there were more to be discovered in this story in terms of depth. If I had had the second book in my library at that time then I would have started it straightaway.

Well... I'm glad to see that my instincts weren't...
Published on 23 Dec 2009 by Yagiz Erkan

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've Been Better
Published 16 months ago by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Royal Exile, 23 Dec 2009
Yagiz Erkan (Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews

Well... I'm glad to see that my instincts weren't wrong. Tyrant's Blood definitely raises the bar. Fiona McIntosh's usual smooth style coupled with a better-developed storyline creates an easy-to-read page-turner.

Because the story is more mature, requiring fewer introductions, the multiple story lines are more captivating than the first book. I find the sections, switching between various story threads, well balanced, pushing the reader constantly forward. Additionally, the characters are further developed, some becoming more irritating and some more surprising. But the two things that I enjoyed the most were the unexpected twists and the magic system.

Yes! Even though, in the beginning, it looks like McIntosh is preparing us some fantasy clichés, she twists the story to create more than one surprising moments, including the end of the book. I really enjoyed these turns of events. Additionally, we learn more about the magic system in Tyrant's Blood. It is not that unusual to read about a system where magic is costly to its wielder however McIntosh creates an interesting derivative that's not so clear-cut. Furthermore she tells us more about the Valisar magic.

Tyrant's Blood was a page-turner for me. I really enjoyed it and needless to say I'm looking forward to the last installment. One thing that I'd like to recommend is for you to consider the first two books as one and read them together. And if the next book is better than Tyrant's Blood then it's going to be a hell of an ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, 21 Oct 2009
I have read every one of Fiona McIntosh's book and she always delivers.
Her books are fast and pacy and thoroughly enjoyable and this one does not let you down I cannot wait
for the next one>

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 26 Oct 2009
L. Robinson "LROBIN" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a real page turner! I couldnt get enough of it...I was a bit confused as to why so many characters were killed off as its only the 2nd book, but i suppose i will have to see where she goes with it.

It was a really good read, at the end i actually said "OH MY GOD" out loud to myself...

This is only the second book that i have read by Fiona McIntosh (the first being Royal Exile) and at fist i wasnt sure, as her desciptions of things made me feel physically sick (i.e. the roasting of Brennus) but once the canibalism was over, i couldnt put it down.

The sencond installment really picks up pace, i thoroughly enjoyed it!

4.0 out of 5 stars great second instalment, 6 May 2014
I was really looking forward to starting this, having enjoyed the first one so much. There are plenty of twists and some unexpected developments, but the novel is just as interesting and exciting as the first !

5.0 out of 5 stars compulsive, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Tyrant's Blood: Book Two of the Valisar Trilogy (Valisar Trilogy 2) (Paperback)
after reading book 1, was not sure about reading book 2, found 1 frustrating in parts, but still wanted to read the story, glad I stuck with it as 2 was very good, characters good. Struggled to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiona is Amazing, 6 April 2014
Fiona really knows how to build a world where you are familiar with parts but other parts you feel have depth. Her plot is really very well layed out and takes you on many journies through the one book. I loved this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've Been Better, 19 May 2013
Royal Exile, the first book in the series left a little to be desired but I still wanted to finish the series. The second book has a little more in terms of plot but these moments in the book are rushed through in favour of the 'filler' parts of the book. I wasn't a fan of the huge time jump that takes place between the two books, especially as very little was explained about what happened to the characters in this gap. The characters all seem to have wildly different personalities from before and that just has to be accepted. It's not a bad book, although the third one definitely is, it just didn't live up to what I hoped it could be from the first one.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Valisar Trilogy, 11 Oct 2012
I've really enjoyed all her other books but with these ones I could'nt find any favourite characters. Also in parts they were very draggy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired, 26 Sep 2012
A. M. E. Rowe "eblade" (england) - See all my reviews
The first book had potential, but about half-way through this, I turned to my partner and commented on it's similarity to a book we both enjoyed, The Painted Man (Peter V. Brett) in that the lead (Leo, in this case), is not only completely unlikeable, but the reader is given the impression that the author is covering for the unlikeability by trying to convince us we -should- like the character...even if, personally, given the chance, I'd push the arrogant little brat off the nearest cliff! Excuses seem to be made, but for me, he seems to have gone from the having-to-grow-up-fast Leo of book 1, to I'm-king-so-kneel-losers Leo of this book without much in the way of visible progression (mostly due to the HUGE time-warp style leap between the books - a massive shame, I feel, as I would have loved to see the slow transformation in a number of the main characters explored in more depth rather than "Here they are...and now they are new and improved...or not, as the case may be!").

I must say that the start of the book nearly had me close it in horror. A fantasy book that starts in the real world? What on earth was Fiona McIntosh thinking? Not a good idea for a fantasy book to do this in general, but for the second book in a fantasy setting suddenly jumping to the real world? Really? No, just no. It ruins the magic of a make-believe world, and so trashes the illusion.

On the other hand, my initial thought meeting Loether for the first time in book 1 appears to be coming true (I'm hoping my prediction is a cunning twist - so far, looking increasingly unlike a web of lies!), not to mention the who princess thing (one can say 'obvious', but that seems a little mild for the sheer screaming loudness of exactly -how- obvious it has been!), but am pleasantly surprised by the 'surprise' character with the trammelling - that was a fairly decent twist.

So, in short...nothing special, not inspired, and the huge time-jump is a huge turn-off (with the silly 'real world' rubbish icing it nicely). It had so much potential to develop the characters, but left me wanting actual reasons, not just a snapped finger and nice is suddenly brat, injured is healed, hate is love, and tolerance is murder. I guess I feel as if I've read book 1 and 3, and missed an entire volume. Ho hum, onto (the actual) book 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful fantasy adventure, 16 Oct 2010
M. Lambert "lucianna" (London, uk) - See all my reviews
If you like your fantasy robust and full of adventure this book is for you. The storytelling is consistant and full of strong characters. Can't wait to read the 2nd in the series.

Tyrant's Blood: Book Two of the Valisar Trilogy (Valisar Trilogy 2)