4.0 out of 5 stars Promising Start to a Trilogy
The barbarian horde of the Likurian Steppes moved from the east and conquered the Denova Set. Cremond, Barronel, Gormand, Dregon and Vorgaven fell before Loethar's barbarian army. Penraven, the most powerful kingdom of the Set is the the last one standing, however the end is near. King Brennus of Penraven has to take difficult decisions in order to preserve the life of...
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by Yagiz Erkan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, marred a little by poor editing
First and foremost, I need to say that I enjoyed this, my first Fiona McIntosh book. She has a knack for surprises and doesn't shy away from grisly scenes - indeed, according the to author's notes, it was the most gory scene that got her started in writing this book.

However, there are problems. According to the author's notes there were three editors. Well,...
Published on 11 April 2010 by Kev

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the beginning, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Royal Exile: Book One of the Valisar Trilogy (Valisar Trilogy 1) (Paperback)
Had not read anything by this author, the book sounded good. Some parts were fast moving, others I had to slog through and were not so compelling. Glad I stuck with it as book 2 is much better, fast paced and lots of surprises, felt book 1 was just getting you ready to read book 2, now have to read book 3 as 2 was definatly compulsive...hope its better than its reviews, but will read it any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiona isexcellent, 6 April 2014
This book has strong plots and characters with connections to many different stories going on at once it is deep and rich in content and keeps you turning the pages. I love howthe worlds are full of depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always delivers!, 8 May 2012
C. R. Holden "Carla" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Brilliant, she's done it again, another storming trilogy. Plot is original. Characters are interesting. Recommended. What more is there to say?

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not epic, (should have 3,5 stars), 9 Dec 2011
It is well written, a good story and a fine plot. When that is said, I found it a bit over the top on the gory and savage side and i think McIntosh's world build lacked a bit. I cannot quite place my finger on it, but something was missing. It is still a good read though and above average. So 3,5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing!, 22 May 2010
Pui Yu (UK) - See all my reviews
I have never read any of Fiona's books before, and I was going to by 'Odalisque', but chose to buy 'Royal Exile' instead.

I have to say, the story isn't one that I would normally read about. Stories about war and death - I always avoid those as they bore me to death. However, when I started reading 'Royal Exile', I started to get really engaged. The characters are described really well and you can tell straight away what their personality is like.

As the story is written in 3rd person, you get to hear about the thoughts and actions of the antagonists as well as the protagonists, which is always interesting to hear. Furthermore, when you read the thoughts of the protagonist, you can't help but think that they're not all that bad. Brutal yes, but not completely evil.

The descriptions can be rather gruesome at times, but it is this that really intrigued me. It was shocking to hear what happened to those who the main protagonist kills and really does make you go "Oh my god" out loud.

The fantasy aspect of this book is mild, with only slight magic in some characters, but I think the main genre is that of adventure that the protagonists go on in order to protect the heir.

I would definately recommend this book to anyone who likes reading stories that inlude magic and adventure. I can't wait for the next book and wishes that whoever reads this book would be as captivated as I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Royal Exile, 27 Feb 2010
Mrs. MM Urvoy "maggie-may" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Again Fiona McIntosh has created an excellent trilogy. I thouroughly enjoyed this book, it was a light easy read which leaves me waiting for the chance to read Book Two of the Valisar Trilogy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly slow, 1 Dec 2009
A fairly readable book, but I found it a touch dull and slow - certainly not the page-turner that some reviewers seem to think. I found myself putting it down all too often - not a good sign! Odd characters too and the overall plot is a bit far-fetched.

A let-down after her previous works.

I shan't be going out of my way to pick up the next volume of the trilogy. If it turns up cheap second hand perhaps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Again, 9 Jun 2009
Richard Duddell "rduddell" (Over Here!) - See all my reviews
Oh why do I do this to myself - I buy a book - read it and then find I have to wait ages for the next instalment.
This is a good (not great) book that moves a a good pace and is starting to generate some interesting characters, some good, some bad and some who need to be killed off. The plot is thin at the moment and fairly predictable but it's a whole lot better than some of the stuff I have read, and I believe its just the begining. Very little magic, no elves or dwarves (yet?? - and hopefully free of such things) but the subtleness just draws you in, making it essential to read the next page/chapter. Not to the standard of the Riftwars in terms of worlds and not quiet as brutal as George R R Martin just yet - but I think a good blend of something in between - I wait with baited breath for the next one - and will read the others by the author in the meantime

3.0 out of 5 stars Run of the mill Fantasy, 30 May 2009
Chris Griner - See all my reviews
The book was a standard Fantasy novel. Nothing spectacular or noteworthy about it. Don't let this put you off, if you are simply relaxing and want a book to churn through. But if you are looking for a novel which stands out from the crowd, this is not one.

I was surprised to find out this wasn't the novelist's first book, as the plot is standard fare, the structure predictable and the characters not really noteworthy. It does flow well, but with a little more effort to add depth and subtlety could have become a really good novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars a really good read, 22 Mar 2009
As a Reymond Feist and Trudy Cavanar fan,I am sooo glad I found this author and I can really recommend this book and I cannot wait for the next one.

Royal Exile: Book One of the Valisar Trilogy (Valisar Trilogy 1)
Royal Exile: Book One of the Valisar Trilogy (Valisar Trilogy 1) by Fiona McIntosh (Paperback - 5 Jan 2009)
5.64