5.0 out of 5 stars her best one yet!
Published on 7 Oct 2006 by happy camper

3.0 out of 5 stars Good simple food
I love watching Rachel Allen's recipe shows. Her delivery is friendly and helpful, she makes recipes seem easy and clear, and the end results look tempting and delicious.

Published on 11 Jan 2007 by Sulalee

3.0 out of 5 stars Good simple food, 11 Jan 2007

I do like this reciped book and I enjoyed particularly, the snippets of additional commentary that are often missing in many other recipe books. They set the scene, explain the origin of recipes and generally, give a recipe book more character.

However, I would add, while the book is easy to follow and beautifully designed, remember it's about "home" recipes for friends and all the family. So many of the recipes are very straightforward - such as, baked potato, or runny egg and asparagus soliders. This is great for parents looking for healthy, quick and easy meals for all the family. Ideally, I'd have liked a few more of her more detailed recipes.

One other point that you might like to consider when deciding whether or not to buy the book: if, like me, you use recipe books as a spur-of-the-moment source of visual ideas for today's lunch, tea or dinner by flicking through the photos and recipe titles, keep in mind that quite a few recipes in this book don't have photos - instead there are whole-page photos of Rachel, of her husband, her kids and even her dog!

Admittedly, this adds to the charm and character of the book but in one or two of the few slightly more complex recipes included in the book, I would have preferred a photo of the prepared dish.

5.0 out of 5 stars her best one yet!, 7 Oct 2006
happy camper (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
I have all of Rachel's cookbooks which I love and use on a regular basis. Her food is delicious and easy to prepare - particularly for those of us with busy lives. This is her first hardback (I think), which makes it a perfect gift. Plus, the photography really helps give more of a sense about Rachel and how she presents her food. As always, the food is outstanding and the recipes/chapters offer many delicious suggestions for a variety of situations. Equally useful for cooking for the family (including kids) or for friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family values highly in this super book, 17 Nov 2006
from Rachel Allen.

'In this cookbook to accompany her latest TV series, Rachel Allen once again offers the delicious, inspiring and easy-to-follow recipes for which she has become famous.
'Rachel's Favourite Food at Home' draws on international influences, classic regional fare and good old family favourites to provide creative options for every occasion, whether you're planning a simple family meal, hosting a festive dinner for the entire clan, squeezing in a sneaky, romantic meal for two, heading out for a glorious picnic, chilling out on the sofa with your favourite comfort food, or just spending time baking muffins with the kids.

224 pages, split over 10 chapters:-

Home Cinema
Big Celebrations
Edible Gifts
Just Like Mum Used to Make

sandwiched between an introduction, a section entitled 'Useful Extras', 10 pages of 'staples' or 'accompaniments' recipes , e.g. stock, roux, mayonnaise, rice and pastry.

Completed with a concise index.

Each chapter opens with family photographs and some text, e.g.:-
Easy Family Food

'I love family meals since this is when everyone gets to sit together and talk about what went on during the day. This type of food should be easy to prepare and quick to rustle up, or else made in advance earlier in the day. This is simple food that the whole family will enjoy and the recipes can be easily amended to suit everyone's taste.'

Each recipe is well laid out with a title, how many servings plus guidance on whether a starter, main, vegetarian etc, short heading, clear ingredient's list and method.

Most, but not all the recipes, include a full colour photograph, sometimes of a 'stage of the recipe', or an 'on-location' shot, rather than of a completed item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - very inspiring !, 21 May 2007
J. Leggett (Oxford) - See all my reviews
My amazing girlfriend bought me this book in the hope I would make an

effort to cook (and not just eat all of her wonderful creations!) I've made the fishcakes and warm pasta salad so far,

both were delicious and easy to make. Am enjoying cooking from it and

will definitely recommend the book to others. Rachel Allen is going to be a big star I think.

2.0 out of 5 stars So want to love this book..., 26 Oct 2011
...but I don't...

This book has clearly been aimed at busy mums that need to find something to give the kids in a short space of time. 'Bake' was technically challenging and engaging but this merely shows me Warm Pasta Salad; Party Sausages with a dip; Haricot Beans, Tomato and Tuna Salad; Toffee Sundae (a tub of ice cream and toffee sauce; Scrambled Eggs; Plain popcorn; Peas with Leeks; and Hot Chocolate. I feel it not aimed at much of a wider audience than famillies which is fine but alienates people that want inspiring recipes or guidance. As someone rightly said previously, these recipes could be found on recipe cards you pick up from Sainsbury's. I have tried the Banana and Peanut Butter Muffins with success and will try some of the chutney recipes around the festive season for gifts but otherwise uninspired and will probably just collect dust on my bookshelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook - recipes you can actually use, 15 Jan 2007
S. Diver (Belfast, NI) - See all my reviews
This was a Christmas present and I've already made about 5 recipes from it, all successfully. The risotto recipe was delicious and easy to make, as were the pasta and other recipes I tried. Some recipes are a twist on classic dishes, like the scrambled eggs with coriander and chili - really delicious! It's the first recipe book where I've used so many recipes. It is also the type of food you can cook when you get home from work or for kids, nothing overly complicated or fussy. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 22 Mar 2009
This review is from: Rachel's Favourite Food at Home (Paperback)
I am a great fan of Rachel's cooking programmes and I already have "Rachel's Food for Living" book which is absolutely superb! I have cooked (Successfully) many recipes from this book and would thoroughly recommend it. Unfortunately this one leaves me cold... This is a shame because I was really looking forward to it. The reason why is the book is replete with photos of Rachel, Rachel's family, Rachel's friends, Rachel this Rachel that. Now don't get me wrong I like looking at Rachel she is indeed nice on the eye, and its interesting to see her standing here and there, kneeling by the oven, on the beach with her kids etc... but ummmm there are absolutely not enough photos of the recipes, and especially completed recipes. I don't know about you but if I can't see it, I am not inclined to try cooking it. I'm not that good! At least 50% of the book is like this. This is kind of cooking book conceptual fashion gone completely over the top. The recipes I can see are ok, nothing particularly new and my favourite recipe from this book is actually Bill Grangers "Banana Butterscotch Pudding", and I already have it! So not for me this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookery book I own, 13 Aug 2009
This review is from: Rachel's Favourite Food at Home (Paperback)
As a huge fan of cooking, and food in general, I own quite a few books on the subject. Sadly, most of them are gathering dust - not this one! Beautifully illustrated this book is lovely just to tumb through, but more importantly the recipes are appealing. I can honestly say there is not one thing in there I don't want to cook - the banana butterscotch pudding is to die for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great homely everyday recipes, 20 Aug 2009
This review is from: Rachel's Favourite Food at Home (Paperback)
Excellent! The test of a good cook book is how often you make recipes from it. I think this is her best cookbook and certainly the one of hers I refer to the most. The Lemon Shortbread biscuits are made weekly at my house and the best shortbread recipe I've tried, and the lemon ice cream is permenant stock in the freezer. I agree it's not for everyone and some recipes are a little lacklustre but this is a book for everyday eating and I find Rachel's recipe very reliable which is sometimes all you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jan 2007
I received Favourite Food at Home and also Food for Friends as a Christmas present - and they are both brilliant; I look foward to cooking many things from both of them over the coming months.

The home-made Tomato Ketchup really is quite delicious, as is the Summer Fruits jam. I've also made the Onion (Marmalade in one book and Jam in the other) which was nice, but it's got another week to mature before I really give it a good taste.

The Summer Fruit parcels are truly devine.

Both books are really well and truly worth buying.

Rachel's Favourite Food at Home
Rachel's Favourite Food at Home by Rachel Allen (Paperback - 6 May 2008)
14.99