5.0 out of 5 stars Best Botanical Coloured Pencil Book I have seen
Published on 21 April 2010 by Catford

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
I was very excited to learn that I could pre-order this book, long awaited in my opinion, but disappointed on receipt that it was aimed almost specifically at the USA/Canadian market. I then noticed the same author had published the very same book, different title aimed at the UK market! I would have loved to have known this in advance!
I now have both books and I...
Published on 30 May 2010 by W. Slattery

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Botanical Coloured Pencil Book I have seen, 21 April 2010
Last year I heard that Ann Swan was writting a book and I have been patiently waiting for months. I had pre-ordered the book with Amazon and it finally arrived at the beginning of April. I must say it was well worth the wait. I have been a coloured pencil enthusiast for some time and have bought several books on the subject, most of which have been disappointing. Ann Swans book is packed with helpful advice, beautiful botanical paintings, advice on materials, techniques and finishing touches and some step-by-step paintings. I believe that since I have had this book and started to put some of her advice into practice my work has really improved. This book will be a very useful reference book for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 30 May 2010
W. Slattery (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils (Hardcover)
What a wonderful book. Extremely helpful illustrations and instructions. This book on using coloured pencils in botanical art has been long overdue. Very excited about it. The page on suppliers is particularly useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence with only a pencil, 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils (Hardcover)
The art work is not only stunning,the author has been more than generous with her techniques, tips and experience. She doesn't seem to have held anything back in her quest to impart her knowledge. (This is quite rare in 'how to' books believe me).

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 30 May 2010
W. Slattery (England) - See all my reviews
I now have both books and I am giving the USA one to a friend in Switzerland!

4.0 out of 5 stars Botanical Portraits with colored pencils, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils (Hardcover)
I agree that this is a lovely book. The text and illustrations are very well presented. Upon receipt of the book I put it on one side to take on holiday where I intended to have a concerted effort to work with coloured pencils, my normal work being botanic watercolour. I was somewhat disappointed when I realized that the book I have is very much biased to the American market and that the colours mentioned do not translate readly to an English market. It is for this reason that I have scored four stars. Other than this I would have scored five. I expect to find this book very helpful in expanding into another medium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've ever seen!, 25 May 2011
This review is from: Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils (Hardcover)
I could talk about this book for hours but I will make it a fairly short review. This book is very definitely the best instructional manual for botanical art using coloured pencils I have ever seen and I have possibly seen them all. If you wish to learn from scratch or improve your techniques you need look no further as this is the one you need! And besides, it is a wonderfully illustrated book just to look at and admire. It has certainly inspired me back to the drawing board.

5.0 out of 5 stars Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils, 5 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils (Hardcover)
This was for a friend who said it is an excellent book because things are broken down into easy to follow steps. It gives really good indication of how to lay colour and build it up with useful techniques. Might be helpful to increase the overall technical area especially for beginners. My friend was able to draw an iris flower that looked remarkably like the one in the book, even without the exact colour matches. Great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils, 18 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils (Hardcover)
This is a very detailed descriptive book which explains in every detail on how to obtain very realistic dawings,
and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 22 May 2010
S. V. Barker "Lancastrian Reader" (Lancaster UK) - See all my reviews
From the very first page this book unleashed an interest in the use of coloured pencils as an alternative to watercolour. It provides not only comprehensive guide to technique but a foolproof list of essential equipment. It left me enthused and reaching for laptop to order 'the kit'! Thank you Ann Swan - am ordering another copy to spread the word far and wide that the results can really prove quite amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK if you have the time, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils (Hardcover)
The quality of the images in the book are excellent and the examples used show a finished result that is worthy of the skill of the artist/author. However, there are huge steps missing in the examples and in my view this is the biggest failing of the book. I certainly wouldn't pay the full price for this book, but it is a useful addition to my library.

Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils
Botanical Painting with Coloured Pencils by Ann Swan (Hardcover - 1 April 2009)