Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 September 2013
The first thing I notice with the book - they have included recipes for all my favourite things in their shop. I'm not sure why I'm surprised, but aren't these trade secrets? Clearly not. And I'm so glad. Because now I don't need to make notes of ingredients at their deli counter and try and figure out their recipes - no, now I can just follow the recipe for my favourite coleslaw. Or my favourite lemon drizzle cake. Or the amazing tomato and feta salad with mint dressing that I'd eat for breakfast every Sunday.

Each recipe has its own little introduction - a lovely touch to this already friendly book.

Carole Bamford's story is fascinating, charting her first meeting with the Soil Association, to converting the Gloucester farm to organic - telling the story of the wonderful ways the earth came to life with violets and earth worms once the chemicals left the soil. I so enjoyed reading the pieces from the people who work on the farm. Richard, the farm manager, we met during the lambing season. I met John, the cheese maker at the Summer Fair, where we talked about soft cheese and he gave me a simple recipe so we could make our own at home. Jez, indeed a character, we also met at the Summer Fair - and subsequently on strawberry picking days in the hot hot sun. There was a sign up asking us not to eat too many strawberries - his logic was that people could only eat 15 anyway so no major losses would be incurred.

I loved reading these guys' stories - the big picture as well as the small anecdotes - clearly show their love for what they do. Reading about the planning and the great thought that has gone into Daylesford really adds so much depth to this book. They really do care so tremendously for the land and the animals and the foods they produce. Reading about the work they are doing with breeding their own cattle and sheep suited to their habitat made me feel so incredibly proud for them. They care deeply about producing quality food with a respect for the land. And for the future generations to come.

This is so much more than a recipe book.
It's a wonderful inspiring book about sustainable, local, great British food.
on 17 February 2015
A beautiful book! Not only is everything very well-presented, does it feels top quality and the pictures look delicious, but the recipes are fab too. In particular, I would really recommend the Grilled Mackerel with roasted Beetroot and Spiced Lentils, and the Morecombe Bay Shrimp Butter Sauce is fantastic! The Milk Chocolate, Espresso + Almond Fudge is beautifully creamy (would make excellent Christmas presents if you can part with it), and the Double Chocolate Cookies went down a treat spindled with a little sea salt.
Cannot recommend enough!
on 12 October 2013
Having bought lots of cookery books, this one gave me lots of inspiration. Recipes with a twist, easy to follow, good pictures and the end results were good. Very impressed.
on 29 May 2014
Delivery was prompt.
Good price
I love this recipe book. I have tried quite a few of the recipes and they have all been delicious .
Use it a lot
Would recommend it
on 20 November 2015
I went to daylesford in Cotswolds and this book was so expensive . Real bargain on here .
Lovely book too !
on 19 July 2014
Happy with purchase
on 10 September 2014
Great value
on 8 August 2014
Books were marked quite a bit on front cover
on 23 November 2013
I am aiming to collect all Simon Hopkinson's 'Ist edition' cook books and this is his latest one.
Hopefully, some of the recipes within will be acted upon.