on 29 November 2001
This is undoubtedly the best and most comprehensive dictionary on the market for serious crossword addicts. For those of us who have to "cheat" occasionally to complete a crossword it is definitely the first book of reference to choose. I give it five stars plus.
on 5 November 2001
This book is every crossword addict's dream. No mere list of synonyms, the words in this book have been culled from actual crosswords from almost a lifetime's study of these puzzles. Anyone using this book will soon come to appreciate how it has been put together. Whether it's a foreign word, archaic term or simply a word with a recognised association with the words in the clue, you will find this book indispensable in solving crosswords quickly and with ease.
on 17 May 2007
i owned an old copy of this itle picked up at a boot sale, when i saw this advertised on amazon i could not wait to receive my copy, it fulfilled all my expectations. for any crucivebalist this is the holy grail, come on araucaria, paul, et al we can solve even the most difficult now. my only wish is that we could have an e-book please!!
on 2 August 2001
This is an excellent book for the use for crosswaord solving. This will be the third that we have bought, the other two have just fallen apart due to the amount of use they have had.
on 24 February 2001
Of all the crossword aids available, Anne Bradford's comes out top because it has been edited by a true crossword enthusiast. It contains those obscure words that are so hard to find and makes solving a far easier task.
on 11 March 2005
I bought this not realising this was the gem version and have subsequently bought the full size version.
The full size version costs more but contains loads more definitions and word lists and is in my opinion much better value. The only reason I would buy this again, would be to have as a portable maybe.
on 23 October 2003
Bradfords is my Bible, and I seem to tear apart every edition that comes out. It's an absolute godsend for helping me with the really difficult general knowledge clues. My only qualification is that the pages become loose very easily, so I have to resort to sellotape. A stronger binding on the spine would be appreciated!!!
on 7 February 2001
I have Chambers crossword dictionary as well and although Chambers is a fine book I have found that in practise this leads you to the answer you are looking for more often. If you had to have one, and only one, crossword dictionary this would be it.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2008
As and when you need to cheat at crosswords, Anne Bradford's "string and sealing wax" book (produced without a computer) still stands up very well against the ones produced mainly with the help of computers (most if not all of the rest). On a crossword discussion forum, Bradford's was recently compared with Chambers Crossword Dictionary by looking up the theme-words in the epic Listener 4000 puzzle. Bradford's had 19 of the 24 theme-words (8 each of battles, composers and coins), Chambers had just 13.
on 13 December 2001
I find this book useful as a reference work and I do not even do crosswords.