Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 October 2009
Jessie Keane has produced a trilogy of books. They are all running along the crime/thriller end of the market with a strong female lead. We have yet to experience what else she has to bring.

This book is the follow up from book 1 (Dirty Game) and book 2 (Black Widow). Once again Annie Carter is back in London and trying to run her husbands business. It's now the 70's and her arch enemy's the Delaney's are still around and running the brothel that her good friend Dolly runs. When prostitutes start getting killed Annie gets involved, wanting to know who is involved. In doing that she gets herself caught up in the middle of a war and puts her own life at risk. One of close friend's Chris Brown ends up being framed for the murders and Dolly want's to do everything she can to clear his name. Not only does she have to find the culprit, but she is working against her own boys who don't like answering to a woman. She is working at having to prove herself as the Boss and also manage looking after her business along with her young daughter Layla. When Constantine Barolli turns up it complicates the situation even further. He is a dangerous Mob Boss and Annie finds herself fighting off her real feelings for him in an attempt to keep her business at the top. Can she find the real killer before it is too late or will she end up having to identify another young girl?

This book was an absolute corker and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was well worth the wait for the final instalment in the Annie Carter books. I didn't put this down once I'd started. The writing style and the fact that you know this is the conclusion keeps you turning page after page. The only negative is what to expect from Jessie Keane next. With her last three books being as good as they have been there are high expectations for the next one. I can't wait!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As good as Martina Cole or your money back - that's what it said on my copy although the date for claiming has now run out. Well I wouldn't have needed to claim because I thought it was a corker of a book. Almost like Martina Cole, almost like Mandasue Heller but also quite a lot like Gilda O'Neill's trilogy (Sins of Their Fathers, Make us Traitors & Of Woman Born) which is also well worth a read.

Jessie Keane has a very good way with words and can tell a terrific tale of naughty women and even naughtier men. I'm not going to say anything of the storyline because if you are potential readers of books one and two of the series then you shouldn't know anything of book three ! This story is well planned and well written and I am only sorry that I hadn't read the first two books of this series. If you do like the style of Cole, Heller, O'Neill etc then there is no reason for you not to be totally at home reading Jessie Keanes books. Yes there's a lot of swearing and yes there's lots of violence and disgusting behaviour but that's all part of the excitement of this gripping story. For anyone wanting to read all three in this series in the correct order the first is Dirty Game, the second is Black Widow and the third is this one - Scarlet Women.
VINE VOICEon 26 February 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this off Vine, started to read it and then discovered that it was the third book in a trilogy so got hold of those first and then started again.

Very gripping and totally unputdownable. Jessie Keane writes at a cracking pace and really absorbs you into the book. It's a contrast of good and evil and, whilst I keep reading that Ms Keane is similar to Martina Cole, I think there is definitely room in the book world for the pair of them.
on 26 January 2010
What a corker!I loved Jessie Keane's first two parts of this trilogy and could't wait to devour the conclusion. As an East End girl of the sixties, I could easily identify with the times, even though I wasn't part of the gangster scene. I agree with those people who think that Jessie Keane is better that Martina Cole, although I can see a similarity to Matinas's early novels. This trilogy was a gritty tale of East London in the sixties. It identified all the seedy sides of the villians, prostitutes and ne'r do wells of the time, whilst showing the softer human side of others. I await the outcome of her fourth novel, and only wish it was available immediately. If I have any criticism at all, it was having to wait for each of the books to be released. I would have preferred to have all three books so that I could read one after another. Stay with it Jessie you have a steadily rising fanbase.
on 17 October 2013
Annie is back home in London and ready to establish her businesses and as head of the Carter cartel. Before she can cut her teeth into all that needs done she gets a call that her friend has been killed and her associate is the prime suspect. Annie is torn between fixing her business, finding out who killed her friend, keeping the Delaney's at bay and keeping her mind off Constantine Barolli. Before too long Annie is in the deep of it and could lose everything she has worked so hard for and her life is in danger. You can't tread on so many toes without making enemies and Annie has many, could this be the end for Annie Carter?

The book starts on a cliff hanger, Annie is in a life threatening situation, death is imminent and she goes over the recent past to how she got here. She has a blast from the past she needs to try and protect which brings her to the wrong side of the Delaney twins. The police aren't looking for anyone else for her friends murder but Annie knows they have the wrong guy and that is just scratching the surface. There is lots going on in this book and a lot of action to keep your interest however this book feel a bit short for me compared to others in the series. For example in the last book Annie went through hell with her little girl yet in this book she is passed off to others whilst she deals with business. I just felt that whilst she wouldn't want her in the path of what was going on, you wouldn't just put her to the side to deal with all the dangerous stuff she does throughout this book.

The issues with the silver fox Don from America also annoyed me a little, it was very, I felt, almost teen angst. Not how an established woman like Annie would react really and especially, how it transpires much later in the book. I just felt Annie's character flipped around a bit which annoyed me a bit, otherwise though the story was quite good and does draw you in. I sincerely hope in the next installment we see some faces that have seemingly left the story reappear, one can only hope. Still a good read and it does cover a bit of history of the previous books so you could pick this up and read as a stand alone but I would suggest going back and reading the others in order, 3/5 for me this time though.
VINE VOICEon 7 December 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was a real page turner, it got me right from the start and I found it hard to put down. Annie Carter is a "Boss" in a very male dominated profession, she is tough and gutsy and determined. She is caught up in trying to find the murderer of her friend and is dragged into a whole lot of trouble she did not bargain on.

The writing was fast paced and does not lag for a moment. I understand there are other books involving Annie Carter, but the novel stands fine on its own merit. I would definitely read other books by this talented writer. However, if you are disturbed by violence, language or sexual content, things which do not bother me when important to the story, may bother others of a more sensitive nature.

A very good and absorbing read.
on 6 November 2009
I wont go into detail about what happens in this book as I dont want to spoil it for anyone else reading it. All I will say is that I couldnt put it down. I was hooked from the first page - well from the first book really!!

Hurry up Jessie and finish your next book/s so i can get stuck into them too.

I wish people would stop comparing her to Martina Cole - Jessie Keane is FAR better....
on 15 November 2013
I had not read Jessie Keane's other books, instead I came across this work after reading Bitter Sweet: A Controversial Crime Thriller. by Mason N. Forbes, which has similar themes and background. Since I lost myself in Bitter Sweet, I began looking for other literature in the genre with subject matter that includes vice, trafficking, and sexism.

Scarlet Women met those expectations. In contrast to Bitter Sweet, I had no problem liking the protagonist, Annie Carter. She was a straight-edged women, who, despite her character flaws, was really willing to put herself in a very dangerous place to save women that other people would effortlessly disregard and write off. I was very impressed with Jessie Keane's ability to maintain my interest as the plot continued to thicken for instance, by incorporation of criminal gangs and notorious characters that took on lives of their own. This book brought me a lot of enjoyment and has solidified Jessie Keane as a go-to author for me.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can see from other reviews that Jessie Keane is very popular. Sadly, I can't include myself amongst her fans. I haven't read the two earlier books so, for anyone who has and was looking forward to the third, I understand why they would be keen followers of the author.

Coming in as a first-timer left me decidely underwhelmed. The writing is just not snappy enough. It's similar to having a slow burning fuse leading to a damp squib rather than something more explosive. The characters seem stereotyped, the events predictable. Maybe the dialogue in the book does reflect the way people in the East End talk but to repeat so many times the same description of what has happened/is happening just slows down the storyline. Fortunately, I was given this book so I can't claim back my money for, in my opinion, Martina Cole is much grittier and a better story writer. However, just as morning TV appeals to some, I know that chicklit is not for everyone either. I'll pass on this one.
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
- although I was almost put off by the jacket blurb, which proclaimed:'as good as Martina Cole or your money back'. How's that for cynical marketing?! It hardly helps the author, and I don't do 'clone' novels. Jessie Keane, however, spins a good story. I did figure out whodunnit early on, but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of what was essentially a good read. I don't usually read gangland type novels either, even ones with strong, albeit softcentred female leads, and probably wouldn't rush out and buy the others in this trilogy, but that is no criticism of Ms Keane. The characters are very well defined, the plot was just convoluted enough to keep me turning the page, and then of course there's the ending... If there is a slight criticism of the author, it's that she didn't quite get to grips with the language of 70s London, in fact towards the end, the phrase 'too shabby' is used, which certainly wasn't around then, being of much more contemporary origin. And could we have less animal cruelty next time please - I think we all know psychos are cruel to little fluffy things! But on the whole, a great book for curling up on a wet evening and giving the tv a miss.