5.0 out of 5 stars This book was glued to my hands all the time!!!!!
Published on 12 Oct. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant holiday read
Published 12 months ago by tangerina

3.0 out of 5 stars pleasant holiday read, 24 May 2014
This review is from: What She Wants (Kindle Edition)
This is an undemanding, unsurprising novel.If you enjoy stories with an Irish background you will probably like it, though it's not a patch on Maeve Binchy. Some of the charactes are a little stereotyped, especially the men, and the way everything is sorted out in the last few pages is a little too like a fairytale! However, it's a nice relaxing escapism, if that's what you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was glued to my hands all the time!!!!!, 12 Oct. 2001
This review is from: What She Wants (Paperback)
It is an amazing book so true to life, there is no way I could have put this book down, I was staying up late just so I could read a bit more! It is fantastic how Cathy Kelly shows the importance of friendship and that life/friends and family should not be taken for granted. I loved the way that everyone came from different backgrounds but all had similar goals in life, to be in control and to make themselves happy. I would recommend this book to everyone. I have read every book of Cathy Kelly now and each one keeps getting better and better and I will no doubt re-read them all especially this one. After the ending I still wanted the book to continue which you rarely find with books unless you really enjoy them. Please write another book soon, I can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reads like a movie in my mind, 23 Mar. 2015
Cheri Crystal (Southwest United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What She Wants (Kindle Edition)
"What She Wants" with its engaging story, ensemble cast, realistic setting (despite a fictitious Irish town you’ll wish Redlion really existed) and so much more, is such a joy to read. It's poignant, funny, and uplifting. Cathy Kelly's work is new to me, but not for long. I especially enjoyed the learning curve as each character deals with life’s challenges, grow wiser and ultimately become happier as a result. As an American living in England, I enjoy learning new phrases and with my Kindle I was able to look up all those Briticisms I always wondered about. I recommend "What She Wants" to anyone after an enjoyable read with loveable characters you immediately care about and won’t forget. It’s a journey you won’t want to miss. Ms. Kelly hits the human condition spot on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Cathy Kelly, 15 Jun. 2002
This review is from: What She Wants (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by Cathy Kelly and I was not disappointed. I did not want to put it down! When you first start reading this book, you wonder how Hope, Sam, Nicole and Virginia can all be written about in one book but Cathy Kelly cleverly merges the four plots into one, making a brilliant ending. This book stirred up my emtotions and has prompted me to read more books by this brilliant author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as instantly absorbing as usual, but still a good read, 15 Oct. 2001
This review is from: What She Wants (Paperback)
This book has all the usual successful ingredients of a Cathy Kelly novel, but lacks the intricacies of plot of the others and the characters were somewhat stereotyped! However,I read it in three days and thoroughly enjoyed it as an escape. The images of Ireland and its people were particularly well described, and the contrast between the stressed-out career-minded folk and the laid-back locals is a lesson to everyone on the fast track, myself included.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not usual standard!, 23 April 2015
This review is from: What She Wants (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this - the usual light-hearted casual reads expected from Cathy Kelly and others such as Sheila O'Flanagan. However, I will agree with one reviewer below who stated "not a patch on Maeve Binchy" - this is spot on. What She Wants does contain elements of Irish society, village, life and living but seems to be missing that one ingredient which fuses them all together to create the storylines that Maeve used have ; which had you longing to go there and live their lives with them.

I thought this wasn't the same standard as previous of Cathy's books yet I couldn't quite put my finger on the why of this statement. Perhaps the characters felt a little flatter than usual, or less well-rounded for want of a better word ; Matt, so selfish and self-indulgent. Hope, so pushed-over and soft. Sam, so brittle and sharp. It was more a case of black and white rather than shades of grey to each characters' disposition.

But, like I said - if you want to sit down on a dull day with a cup of tea and a casual read that won't have you concentrating too hard or trying to figure out the elements behind a puzzle, this is perfect for that!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if I liked this or not, 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: What She Wants (Kindle Edition)
Not sure if I liked this or not. I didn't like any of the male characters and Nicole, Darius and family seemed incidental to the story. Cannot believe a 4/5 year old child (Millie) would continually behave in such a bratish manner or be allowed to get away with it, just didn't ring true. Too many irrelevant characters and I found myself skipping pages to get back to the storyline again. I read it through to the end as I hate giving up on books but I'm afraid not a 'can't put it down' novel for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect read for me, 20 April 2014
This review is from: What She Wants (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the book. Well rounded characters that I'm hoping to meet again.
Couple of bits dated the book which was a bit odd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining as ever...........so why not 5 stars, 12 Oct. 2001
Lan (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What She Wants (Paperback)
I enjoy Cathy Kelly's books a great deal and when I saw this was 656 pages I settled down to what turned out to be an enjoyable read. But somehow the 5th star was missing. Exactly why is difficult to know. I think that the length of the novel meant it was slightly more quantity than quality and it lacked the succintness of previous works and depth of characters.
However, I gripe. This was entertaining and full of likeable, well-rounded characters. I hope that the fact that some loose ends were left dangling and the fact that Cathy Kelly created an entire fictitious village means that a sequel will follow. I certainly hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it ,but get a move on !, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: What She Wants (Kindle Edition)
Love Cathy Kelly books. Loved the book BUT it needed some editing as it was far too long without actually adding anything to the story. I few times I found myself saying "for heavens sake get on with it".
Cathy Kelly has fallen for the "Happily" trap.Over use of this has sneaked in to several authors books. Now I've mentioned it will pop up all over the place for you too and it's very irksome indeed.
Personally if I was Hope I would have left her little girl in Bath - horrid child with no redeeming features (not sure this was intentional) but that was how she came across - brat.
Loved the characters of Mary Kate and Virginia, sassy and wise.
Generally a great book post op to lose yourself in and forget your your hip hurts like mad so it must be good!!.

What She Wants
What She Wants by Cathy Kelly (Mass Market Paperback - 31 Mar. 2008)