5.0 out of 5 stars The Inheritance: A Review
Whether you're a fan of Megan Lindholm or Robin Hobb (or both, as I am) you may find the best thing about this collection is not the fiction, but the preface and brief introduction to each of the stories. These passages provide clarification (even for those fans who have followed the author on her online blogs and newsgroup) into the emergence and development of one of...
Published on 25 Mar 2011 by Fantasy Lore

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag of short stories
Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm are one and the same person but they are very different writers. The Inheritance is a collection of short novels, novellas and stories, some of which are based in Hobb's popular universe of the Six Duchies. Before each of the stories, Lindholm/Hobb gives a small snippet of history as to how she came to write the piece and I loved this insight...
Published on 2 Sep 2011 by A. L. Rutter

3.0 out of 5 stars The Inheritance, 27 July 2012
This review is from: The Inheritance (Hardcover)
I have a fair collection of Robin Hobb publications and find that The Inheritance is nowhere near the quality of the Fool's,Assassins, Mad Ship and Dragon series of books. Some of the stories are interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly about Cats, 23 July 2012
John Middleton (Brisbane, QLD, AUST) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
I've read pretty much all of Robin Hobb's work so far, and none of Megan Lindholm's: as I understand it that is not too uncommon, despite both being pseudonyms for the same writer (in fact one Margaret Lindholm). This is an anthology of both their works - and yes, I am aware that none of the above really makes a lot of sense. If you are interested, reading the introduction and book makes it all pretty clear, and if you aren't, well trust me on it and move along.

Both authors write genre fiction - fantasy and sci-fi - but Megan Lindholm writes short stories largely set in a modern contemporary world, while Robin Hobb tends towards high fantasy novels set in worlds solely of her own creation. However, both seem to have a soft spot for cats (something I had previously not noted in Hobb's work). In this book, Hobb gets three stories to Lindholm's near-10, but the page count is about the same across both. That should also give you some idea of the comparitive lenghts and structure of the stories.

I do prefer Hobb to Lindholm, but enjoyed Lindholm's stuff for the most part. However, I don't know that it is stuff you are meant to enjoy. A lot of it is pretty bleak - victories are pyrrhic, losses are real, actions have consequences and sadness is ever-present. There is the odd exception, but that is the rule. "Valentine" and "Finis" were probably my favourites here.

The Hobb collection included Homecoming, out of Legends II, and some stuff I had not read before: both Inheritance and Cat's Meat were interesting additions to Hobb's six duchies and trader liveship world. Both have high fantasy bits throughout, and are really well-written.

After I finished the book - and only then - two things occurred to me:
1. there were an awful lot of cats; and
2. not a lot of sympathetic male characters, and quite a few who range from uncaring to nasty.

Now, Hobb can really write men well, so I guess it must be deliberate that there really are not any in view here. The closest we get, probably, to a "good" adult male character is the 40-ish Merlin from "Silver Lady" - and even he is written so that he may just be a rogue, and as it turms out, his main achievement is enabling the return of the (female) literal muse of the protagonist. I would not call it a strongly feminist collection, in a pejorative sense, but its pretty clearly able to be read as a "feminist" approach to high fantasy.

And, if that's not a problem for me, then I cant imagine who it could be a problem for.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Inheritance (Hardcover)
I had bought The Inheritance some time ago but have only just got round to reading it, not being a massive fan of short stories. However I had just finished reading City of Dragons by the same author (writing as Robin Hobb), which was slightly disappointing but did leave me wanting to read more tales from the world of the Six Duchies.

The Inheritance is split into two sections, the first being short stories by the author writing as Megan Lindholm, and the second comprising not-so short stories under the name of Robin Hobb. As I am not very familiar with the Megan Lindholm books it was the Robin Hobb stories I was more interested in reading, but actually I was pleasantly surprised by all the stories in the book.

The Megan Lindholm stories tend to be either near-future sci-fi tales (A Touch of Lavender, Cut, Drum Machine) or urban fantasy (Silver Lady, The Fifth Squashed Cat, Strays & Finis) - by which I don't mean vampire/werewolf romance tales, but fantasy in a contemporary, urban setting. My favourites out of these are A Touch of Lavender and Strays, although Cut is one of those short stories that will stay in your head for ages due to its horrible premise.

There are only three Robin Hobb tales, but as I said above, they are quite a bit longer than the Megan Lindholm stories, and all are set in the world of The Six Duchies and The Rain Wilds. First is Homecoming, which details the expedition of the first Rain Wild settlers, told in the form of diary entries by a Jamaillian noblewoman. I don't know how interesting this would be to anyone who has not read at least the Liveship series by Robin Hobb, but I loved it! It filled in a lot of backstory of the people who eventually became the Rain Wild traders, how Trehaug was founded and the first discovery of the underground Elderling city.

The next Robin Hobb story is The Inheritance. This is set just outside Bingtown, somewhere before the events of the Liveship trilogy, and focuses on a young woman's quest for vengeance, aided by a wizardwood pendant. This is probably the weakest story of the three Robin Hobb tales in my opinion, but is still quite enjoyable, and is a stand-alone tale so would make sense to anyone who has not read any of the other books set in this world.

The final story in the book is Cat's Meat, which is set in Buck prior to the events of the Farseer trilogy, and possibly my favourite out of these three. This is also a stand-alone tale and again a kind of revenge story, about a woman whose lover abandoned her when she fell pregnant, but who has now come back to try and regain his place in her life - against her wishes, but more importantly, against the wishes of her cat.

Overall, I enjoyed all these stories, and this collection has definitely inspired me to try some Megan Lindholm novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Inheritance (Hardcover)
I've read "both authors" so though I knew what to expect here, I though it was going to be good - it was even better!

The book is split into short (and not so short) stories by Megan Lindholm and Robin Hobb. The Robin Hobb were more or less what I expected although I don't know how it could have topped it - I have missed my Hobb books and it was like a homecoming almost, reasonably typical Hobb tales which is a very good thing.
However those by Megan Lindholm really opened my eyes, I don't know much under this author other than having picked a few up to satisfy my Hobb craving. I don't know if Lindholm is more outside fantasy but certainly her books I've read so far have all been so. These short stories do not fall into typical fantasy as part of scifi/fantasy, some may be a bit paranormal fantasy but then genres tend to blur nowadays. These stories were refreshing takes on the typical offering in the appropriate genre and such a wide variety, these were the hidden gem for me as I expected more from Hobb as my preferred author of the two yet Lindholm delivered over and above anything I expected.
Loved it, might read it again right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time Robin lover, brand new Megan reader!, 6 May 2011
E. Flynn (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
I've adored Robin Hobb since reading The Farseer trilogy in my early teens (a decade ago!), but never picked up a Megan Lindholm (Hobb's earlier pseudonym) book. Why? I'm not sure, but now I think I'm going to have to remedy this! Why? The Inheritance and Other Stories made me see that Megan is a force to be reckoned with.

Megan Lindholm's short stories are (whilst not too short) shorter than Robin Hobb's, but they have stayed in my mind since I finished this anthology a week or so ago. They're completely different in both tone and style from Robin Hobb's, but are thought provoking and gripping.

I'll admit now that I read the book backwards (Hobb's stories are the second half, Lindholm's the first) because I was longing for some Elderling universe goodness - and I was only disappointed that there weren't more stories! Three just wasn't enough for me. I can't fault them for content or length, though.

Flipping back to the front of the book gave me more stories to enjoy, seven more in fact. These were incredibly diverse tales, impeccably crafted.

All in all, this book was a joy that I'm sure I'll turn back to again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars I felt a bit cheated, 10 Jun 2011
Mrs. S. Marr (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritance (Hardcover)
This book was recommended to me by Amazon ahead of time as a Robin Hobb book and had the tag line - "a collection of short stories from the Rain Wilds and beyond." I imagined that 'and beyond' meant Bingtown or perhaps some Farseer aspects and eagerly pre-ordered it. A second author wasn't mentioned. In fact even now, the hardback author is still shown only as RH - and it is only in the paperback version that it identifies that some of the stories were written as Megan Lindholm. It wasn't until I actually received the book that I realised that. I feel that this was very misleading on Amazon's part.

Perhaps it's because of this that I was so disappointed with this book, but I really didn't like the style of her Megan Lindholm writing - a very different style from her RH approach. A previous reviewer has very thoroughly outlined all of the 10 stories - so any future purchaser should be warned that you are half way through the book before any Rain Wild stories actually appear.

So - I enjoyed the second half of the RH stories, but the other half did not entice me to explore any of the Megan Lindholm books. However, all power to the author that she's able to change her style so much between genres.

3.0 out of 5 stars Back in time, 12 Sep 2012
Alan Ross - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritance (Hardcover)
Didn't know what to expect when I bought this but just wanted to read more by robin hobb. It's a collection of some of her early works and I can't put the book down. Looking forward to her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Inheritance (Hardcover)
Yet another really good read from Robin Hobb and is the perfect addition to any science fiction readers collection. I love the witted story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why so expensive, 17 Nov 2011
S. A. Ullah "LoneBear" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritance (Hardcover)
This is not a review about THE INHERITANCE.

This is a comment about the paperback and Kindle versions. Why does the paperback version cost 5.99 and the Kindle version costs 11.49?

Surely it doesn't cost more to create an eBook version of a publication. What's the reason apart from profiteering?

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame, 11 July 2012
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
Not keen on short stories and felt the book did not live up to the quality of the Dragon books which were excellent

The Inheritance
The Inheritance by Robin Hobb (Hardcover - 31 Mar 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01