5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read
Published on 4 Dec 2008 by Thomas Crewe

3.0 out of 5 stars gripping but flawed
I too am the parent of a child with DS so was very excited about reading this book. Like other reviewers I found it gripping and have nothing but admiration for Alex - what a woman! I'm looking forward to the TV documentary.
On the other hand, I found the language used in the book very grating - the author had obviously never heard of 'people first' language,...
Published on 30 Dec 2008 by Middleton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 4 Dec 2008
This review is from: A Mother Like Alex: One Defiant Woman. Nine Special Children. (Paperback)
I read this book because it was lying around and my mother had finished reading it. I now understand why my mother was so difficult to get hold of whilst she was reading this, it's a great read. I read it so quickly I just wanted to keep turning the pages to see what would happen next. I now feel a great sense of loss having finished it. We have a couple of Down's syndrome kids at school, they're nice people. This is one of the most descriptive books I have ever read, far more visual than any of our English course work slogs. I think it's a great shame portraits are included, they aren't necessary, I could pictures the main characters perfectly without them. A brilliant book I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart and Head, 1 Dec 2008
This is a strikingly intelligent book, not a christmas card. What the previous reviewer terms blunt I would call honest, and who would want a dishonest book on this or any other subject? The subject is huge - ten lives to be described - and that calls for detached, compassionate journalism, which is what it gets from the author. Without the structure that the journalist puts on the subject the warmth, generosity, dammit the sheer guts of Alex Bell, wouldn't leap off the page the way they do - and we'd be lost in the pitfalls of the law and adoption, the mire and mess of the British social services. It's a serious subject taken seriously. It's well-researched and beautifully illustrated. And if it's 'blunt' .... well I have bad news for you, Bambi's mother doesn't make it to the end of the movie either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful People, 4 Dec 2008
Kaz (Hastings UK) - See all my reviews
As a parent of a Down's syndrome child I enjoyed this book. It's not easy, but worthwhile in life is not always easy. This book was a joy to read, and is support group by my bedside I can dip in to anytime. For those of us dealing with the problems and the huge rewards the issue is not a sensitive one, it's everyday life and we get on with it. Clark's narrative was to the point and necessary and in places very very beautiful as are the people he introduces us to. Well done this is a gorgeous book, light given to the dark. The story of Alex Bell needed to be told.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving reading experience, 6 Dec 2008
Richard Cohen (NEW YORK, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a memorable book which I am glad I read for three reasons.
First, I expected it to fall into line with other books about children in difficulties. In a sense it does (the children certainly have difficulties), but it altogether avoids cliche or easy expectations. Each child of those Alex Bell has taken into her family has their own distinct personality, and each story is very different. There is a variety to the stories that urges one on.
Second, although the book moved me to tears at a number of points, it is not a 'misery' read. It is a hugely positive story about what love - in Alex's case, hard-nosed love - can achieve.
Finally, the book is very well written. i find it hard to agree with the reviewer who found the author's take on the children unsympathetic. Good writing tells the truth. A MOTHER LIKE ALEX does so with humour, sensitivity, and courageous involvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, 3 Dec 2008
A wonderful story, beautifully written. Not for the faint hearted, the moments of pure sadness in this book are sad, but the moments of pure joy are particularly joyful.
This is an uplifting account of woman who has truly achieved and is still striving to achieve more in a world where many of us choose not to venture. Her family leap from the pages as fantastically inspiring animate individuals, their struggles and triumphs lovingly documented. For those who have compassion and empathy for the subject matter this is a must read, for those who simply want a good book, and how often do they really turn up, this is also a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and difficult subject well handled, 3 Dec 2008
H. Hotz (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book dealing with a very difficult and unique subject (a single woman adopting Down's children). I warmed to the main characters, Alex and each of her nine children, who were portrayed in a sympathetic and understanding way. Alex's courage and tremendous determination to firstly overcome the bureaucratic obstacles in adopting the children, and then to provide them with a safe, loving and caring home, thereby enabling them to live out their lives in as best a way as possible, is an object lesson to us all. A great gift for Xmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars read this right through at one sitting, 26 Jan 2009
M. Weir (west lothian) - See all my reviews
once i started reading this i couldnt stop till it was finished. i found alexs sheer determination and fighting spirit an inspiration. my youngest son (of 3) also has DS but we as a family have been very lucky in so far as we all were able to bond with him immediately and were not faced with the horrendously hard decisions which were made by the birth mothers in this book. although not easy (several operations) life with all our children is a blessing and you get the clear message throughout the book that this is how alex approaches her family life that she is blessed to have them. i laughed out loud and cried quietly ( it was 01:00) and would thoroughly recommend this book to any one with even a passing interest in the subject of life, love & family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 19 Feb 2009
My little girl has Down syndrome and I found it amazing to read of such an incredible woman who has overcome so many obstacles and broken down barriers to pave the way for others. It is a great read if you want to be stimulated and challenged to step out of your comfort zone and "go for it!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Have To Read Again, 9 Dec 2008
A touching story, but more than that. This book is emotional and although the endings and the beginnings are not always happy, it is a fairy tale because this is the story of Alex Bell who is waving a magic wand against all odds. I am new to this subject matter, there must be many other Alex Bells in the world, it's just that we don't know about them. It's an incredible story about a woman who was born to do what she does, someone who found her calling in life. I was left with a feeling of how inadequate my own life is, but this story leaves one with a feeling that anything is possible, "where there's a will there's a way" it's just remembering this and the story of Alex Bell prompts. The children in this book are so wonderfully loved, as all children should be. A childhood is precious and the children in this book are blessed with a love so powerful and moving. This is definitely a book I will have to read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mother LIke Alex, 18 Oct 2011
I absolutely loved reading this book.It is a must read for people adopting or any one not adopting.It has funny parts and sad parts.The family in the book are extra ordinary and the mother is a wonderful woman.I read it twice it was so good.The drawings of the children are lovely,I laughed and cried reading it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Mother Like Alex: One Defiant Woman. Nine Special Children.
A Mother Like Alex: One Defiant Woman. Nine Special Children. by Bernard Clark (Paperback - 3 Nov 2008)