4.0 out of 5 stars We're British innit
A witty, well written guide to the social norms of Britain today. Invaluable for any expatriate returning home!
Published on 16 July 2009 by Nippo

3.0 out of 5 stars An Irreverent A-Z of all things British
"We're British, Innit" is a book that the author, or publishers, cites as `the real Citizenship test'. And they are not wrong as it certainly does cover a wide range of issues and quirky habits that those who do not know us Brits well as a nation may well need to be filled in on to get a basic understanding of what we are all about.

This is a book that is quite...
Published on 27 Aug 2008 by J.E.T

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Margate born but not necessarily bred, 22 July 2010
As a fellow Margatetista, I really had no option but to buy the hilarious "We're British Innit" by Iain Aitch. Although Iain went to the only half-decent school for miles around he clearly didn't lose his sense of base Margate humour where life only really exists between May & September. This, his first book, really encapsulates the failure of education in modern day Britain - but highlights our brilliant humour and ability to self-mock and abuse others. The book is a veritable compendium of modern day life and explains the real meaning of chavs, Enid Blyton, gossip and bunting. A superb resource for any aspiring student or Member of Parliament.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never a truer word spoken in jest., 13 Feb 2009
Mr. P. Tanner "paultanner2" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A to Z of All Things British (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very lighthearted. Very observant. Politically incorrect and absolutely spot on. If you want to get a snap shot of what britain and its people are really like tehn give this book a go. It celebrates and sends up every stereotype ans "mis"conception there is about these sceptered isles. Seriously - a must read for all those wanting to live here and the rest of us too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yer 'aving a giraffe aint'cha?, 24 Aug 2008
I. R. Kerr (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oddly the intro to this book talks of a time when things are darkest around "August bank holidays" and as I type this, during an August bank holiday weekend, the sun is out, the cats are all sleeping and our Olympic team is coming home after a successful mission that should have made our mega-rich footballers wince in embarrassment at the memory of their constant failures.
It's not that this is a bad book, some parts of it are very funny like the Eastenders entry and most of it is reasonably funny such as the C-list celebs who introduce sections of the latest "100 greatest whatsits". It's just that we Brits are so used to laughing at ourselves that we know most of the items that would be included, binge drinking, manners, BBC, stiff upper lips, RAIN!!!!, telephone boxes, queuing and The Spitfire etc., etc.
It certainly is irreverant and may upset some stick-in-the-muds but it's largely mild enough for most mature readers to cope with the odd swear word or two.
There's no Benny Hill or Hammer Horrors but there is one glaring omission FRANCE which is odd as Germany is included despite the fact he agrees the Germans and British have much in common.
This is a book to be delved into now and then, not necessarily read A-Z as you may find yourself thinking "only twelve letters to go...etc.".
It does need some proof reading before the paper-back reprint.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very British it definitely is - very funny it sadly isn't, 7 Sep 2008
Siriam (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How many of these type of books exist now? Traceable back to the Sloane Rangers Handbook (or earlier?) where a current social trend or topic is picked on and written about in a style that is tongue in cheek; cynical or humorous. Success is that the topic is covered in such a way that the targets think it is wonderful to be recognised in print and the trend spotter/observer and reader thinks it is spot on satire/sarcasm.

To pull the whole stunt off well requires a subject that is ripe for being deflated and the writing is able to bring on the occassional guffaw and a few more smiles along the way for the reader. This book's topic of all things British should be spot on with its UK audience, able to enjoy at least some of the targets if not all the topics, which are alphabetically listed and each covered in a half/full page.

Sadly having read it cover to cover I did not find too much smiling going on and too often a slight shaking of the head as topic after topic (which on the whole are a well chosen listing I must admit) seemed to be subject to too much overall ranting and spite (think Ben Elton on a bad night) rather than much spot on insight or irony.

On the basis of this initial outing, one sadly doubts that this will run to many further volumes in a successful series.

2.0 out of 5 stars We're British, Innit., 6 Sep 2008
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book attempts to list all things typically British and provides a quiz at the end for the reader to assess whether they fall into that category. I can see it as an ideal Christmas present for someone you haven't a clue what to buy for and it is probably best dipped into rather than read from cover to cover. I found it mildly amusing as it pokes gentle - and sometimes not so gentle - fun at the follies and foibles of the British. From Bulldogs to Stretched Limos and their occupants it covers everything you could possibly think of as peculiarly British. Best read aloud after Christmas dinner to a slightly merry audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typically British, 28 Aug 2008
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't really the sort of book you'd pick up and read from cover to cover. One thing the British are good at is poking fun out of themselves and this is a tongue-in cheek look at us Brits. There were funny bits and there were bits that others may not find so funny but it's supposed to be fun and not taken too seriously. Overall I'm sure there'll be something in there that will make everyone smile.

It would make a great present and I can imagine more than one bloke I know who would be in his element on Christmas afternoon sitting there with the family reading out excerpts from it

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and Clever, 23 Aug 2008
RozziD "Rose" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I only received this book this morning but having read the back cover, just got stuck in to it straight away. It is a very witty and clever look at what it is to be British - and there are some interesting insights into some of out best loved traditions and way of life. I found myself chuckling in many places and having to read some pieces out loud to other people in the house at the time!! Interestingly, once you have read the book - you are then invited to take the 'How British Are You' quiz at the back!

This book, I have to say, is a must for the bookshelf and would be very easy to dip in and out of as all the entries appear alphabetically and there is a very detailed index.

My favourite entries I think are the definitions of: Argos, Socks and Sandles, Vests and the many different ways to describe the great British Pub and what goes on inside it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny as it could or should have been, 19 Oct 2008
Mr. C. Oliff "cosmicata" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was hoping and expecting this to be a funny book but I was disappointed to find that while its written in a way which is supposed to be humorous, but at best it raised a slight smile every ten or so pages. The author has clearly tried to produce an irreverent book here, but it falls just short in the humour steaks.

It's a short book and you can read it cover to cover in a couple of days. I like the fact that the entries are listed alphabetical and you can pick it up and read a couple of entries (which are usually 2-3 pages in length) during an advert break on TV.

Overall a slightly entertaining read, but you may be disappointed that its not as funny as it could be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing, but a little heavy on the slang?, 15 Sep 2008
Ash (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my father-in-law, as its the sort of thing I though he'd like. I read through mist of it first though, and thought it was very funny. Its a bit like a Jeremy Clarkson sort of book: stinging, witty but rather bitter and whinging as well. The author clearly loves and loathes this great country in equal measure. A must for misanthropes everywhere - and I'm sure there are many of us in the UK!
However, I think my father-in-law found the use of slang in the novel a bit disorienting - he's never heard of a 'chav' (lucky him) so it may be wise to brush up on your street speak before purchasing, innit. Word.

4.0 out of 5 stars Innit British?, 8 Oct 2008
R. P. Greenhalgh "Richard P. Greenhalgh" (Frome, Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A to Z of All Things British

This is my first review as an Amazon 'Vine' reviewer and, while it was not my intention to take so long to post it, various global and economic circumstances have helped me in the meantime. Britain has a long history of making the best of bad circumstances and this book reflects that.

It is a good read too, if only a frivolous one probably intended for the home market, but I think that when the times become challenging the British also become more attuned to the quirks that we regard as our collective historical sub-culture. In some ways this collection is overtly based on English mores though others from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not ignored. In fact some long-standing pecadilloes of R.P. English are ignored, such as the aspirant 'h' that would once have been inherent in the surname of the author, while it also omits to mention the more recent use of the glottal stop in a variety of dialects throughout Britain.

Those quite petty things aside, and that is part of its charm, this is a book full of largely harmless - but still very amusing - fun mostly taken at our own expense. It is in fact a slightly old-fashioned style of British humour; pointed and at times fondly acerbic but done well and, while it is not serious, neither is it likely to cause offence to any but the most sensitive.

It would make a very good Christmas gift but you might need to buy two copies. It an easy read, and with things the way they are, you might well end up keeping the first copy for yourself!
If you are not British, but sometimes wonder about the strange preoccupations that make us the people we are, then this might be an easy place to start. It is humour largely based on observation.

If you want the long term view then I suggest '1066 And All That', first published by Methuen in 1930 but still in print and available from amazon.co.uk.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›