5.0 out of 5 stars Here & Now. And then
Published on 12 Jun 2008 by ds

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Not at all suitable for younger children
We have been enjoying reading the original Paddington books to our nearly 5 year old. The first three are delightful. So we thought it would be fun to read these more modern tales. We were wrong.

There is a lot of subject matter here that is not at all suitable for young children.

If you don't want to be presenting your child with a view that...
Published 7 months ago by MRS HELEN E STEELE

5.0 out of 5 stars Here & Now. And then, 12 Jun 2008
ds (Whitby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As a child the Paddington books were a great pleasure to me, managing to be both cosily conventional and yet utterly iconoclastic at the same time. To a child, the experience of watching an ingenue in the adult world is one with which it is very easy to identify. This was the great strength of the series. And now, after all this time, Paddington returns. So has time been kind to our friend form Darkest Peru? Happily, the answer is a very resounding "yes".

The book itself is a solid and heavy hardback and the illustrations are charming and of good quality, as is the jacket. Such presentation gives a good feeling about what lies inside.

As for the book itself, in all honesty the style has changed not one bit. The odd thing is that it is really quite difficult to identify when these stories happen. There is no sense of any great time having passed at all since the earlier books. There is a passing oblique reference to a nefarious journalist having a mobile phone and a visit to the London Eye, but otherwise these stories are resolutely old-fashioned in tone and the Brown family hardly seem to have aged at all. It's all the better for it and actually quite comforting that Michael Bond hasn't been too gimmicky with this update. It gives the book its considerable charm.

The opening chapter deals with our ursine friend's experiences at the police station after his shopping trolley goes missing. The events are gently satirical and manage to poke some good-natured fun at the puzzlement that older readers may feel about policemen looking ever younger. As can be expected, Paddington enjoys some run-ins with the familiar Mr Curry, has a Hallowe'en party, plays the piano suspiciously well and towards the end gets a huge surprise. As ever the prose is clear and contains several laugh-out-loud moments of fun. It's probably not giving too much away to say that Paddington comes out on top in the end, but it's the journey that's the most fun. Indeed, the last chapter or so is really rather touching and cuts to the heart of what it feels to be feel wanted and part of a family.

A must read for children of any age (including those of us in our thirties and above!). Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellously nostalgic, 28 Aug 2008
M. V. Clarke (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having loved the Paddington Bear series of books as a child, I was delighted to find this Golden Anniversary story. It's a terrific little book, which I read in one sitting. As usual, Paddington gets caught up in all sorts of scrapes, here involving the police, travel agents and of course, Mr Curry from next door. The Brown family and Mrs Bird are ever present and although the children have grown up a little, the feel of the family is the same as in the earlier books. Bond adopts a lightly satirical approach that will appeal to older readers, gently mocking some of the developments of modern society that Paddington encounters. Read it for the nostalgia and recommend it to children of today; I guarantee that the first sentence will take you right back to the Paddington books of childhood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right Back to Childhood, 4 Feb 2011
Paul M. Edwards "Edwards" (Boston, England) - See all my reviews
..does anyone really need an excuse to get that warm, fuzzy, contented feeling?
Of course we do - and the best excuse is 'I'm reading it to my children'.
This book took me straight back to my own childhood, the little bear has grown more charming if anything. Just little touches by the author to let us know that he knows who is reading this.

This months fave reads for me and mine were this and a little story called Jim's Castle. Marvellous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Feb 2010
This review is from: Paddington Here and Now (Audio CD)
I bought this for my son and have become addicted to it. Very very good stories, read really well by Stephen Fry. It gets me to sleep in about 10 minutes flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paddington: Here and Now, 21 Feb 2010
This review is from: Paddington Here and Now (Audio CD)
My daughter really enjoyed the Paddington CD so I bought her the other two in the series. They are perfect for 6-9 year olds and Stephen Fry is such an excellent narrator!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Not at all suitable for younger children, 11 Feb 2014

If you don't want to be presenting your child with a view that everything used to be so much better in the good old days, mocks police officers for giving sensible anti-theft advice, celebrates children playing tricks on elderly neighbours who didn't give them a treat, descriptions of human organ-selling hammer wielding gangs, worries about immigration, not to mention Halloween superstitions about finding out who is going to die in the next year, you had best give this particular Paddington book a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars My childhood returns., 17 Feb 2013
The Paddington books were the first stories I can remember. Reading them again the memories came flooding back, they are just SO GOOD. I particularly wanted the books with the original (and best), Peggy Fortnum illustrations, which are as good as I remember.

My only criticism, inflation has taken over and Paddington's sixpence is now ten pence!

I can't recommend these books highly enough to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 30 Jan 2013
my 10 year old is going through paddington books by the hour so this was another one to keep her going

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 31 Oct 2012
arrived quick and was just as expected. good value for money item and nice quality. little smaller than I'd thought.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not loving it., 12 Sep 2008
I bought this on the strength of its nomination for the Roald Dahl prize. I thought it would be funny and up to date modern childrens fiction. It isn't. I was bored. So were my kids. Sorry, just never 'got' Paddington. Maybe my dislike of Marmite has tarnished my views?

Paddington Here and Now
Paddington Here and Now by Michael Bond (Audio CD - 2 Jun 2008)