5.0 out of 5 stars The further adventures of narg...and they are fabulous!
If you have read Doonan's 'Wacky Chicks' you'll be familiar with Narg, his lobotomised grandmother. In 'Beautiful People', Narg is back and in full effect rampaging through the pages and what a joy she is to behold!

In 'beautiful People', Doonan describes his early years in Reading, his move to London and eventually America. The joy of the book is that it is so...
Published on 4 Oct 2008 by Sarah Durston

3.0 out of 5 stars Came qucikly but heavily stained
The book came quickly and undamaged by packaging etc. But the cover was heavily stained. As the cover is fairly resilient to water I took a damp cloth to it, and it came off completely, only taking 30 seconds, it was an unnecessary bad first impression.
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful People - Beautiful Book, 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: Beautiful People (Paperback)
Simon and I were both born in 1952, but how different our lives. I enjoyed his, through this book, more than I did mine. This was an absolutely joyous book that I didn't want to end. He has a great gift for writing life - kind, generous and so very funny. Each to his own of course, but I have never deeply enjoyed a book as much as Beautiful People. Thanks Simon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and underrated, 12 Feb 2010
PJGE (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful People (Paperback)
'Beautiful People', the BBC2 comedy series and the Simon Doonan book which inspired the TV series are both hilarious.

3.0 out of 5 stars Came qucikly but heavily stained, 7 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful people, 16 Oct 2008
Sophie Smith Teahee (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful People (Paperback)
Without a doubt, the best book ever...I enjoyed it so much I finished it in a day!Hillariously funny..Buy this book!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars As a big fan of the TV show........, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: Beautiful People (Paperback)
As a massive fan of the TV show I couldn't wait to get stuck into the book. So I rushed out to buy it (mistake number 1), how very disappointed I was. It seems that Simon Doonan has had quite an interesting life its just a pity that it isn't that funny in the written word. I ploughed on (mistake number 2) as some of the situations that Simon and family (inc Biddie) find themselves in looked promising but the punchlines never came and I was left let down again. All I can say is what a wonderful job the script writers and crew of the TV show have done.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 5 Jan 2010
This review is from: Beautiful People (Paperback)
When I first started reading Beautiful People I was sure that I was going to love it but sadly ended up becoming weary of the quirky anecdotes which at first were amusing and touching but soon became tired and dull. Doonan certainly has moments of hilarious observation and parts had me laughing aloud but by the end of the book I was bored by the vacant tales. For an anecdotal read go to David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs instead!

1.0 out of 5 stars Couttsie, 3 April 2012
Mr. Andrew J. Coutts "Couttsie" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful People (Paperback)
This text was recommended by Amazon, presumably via some in-house 'fuzzy logic'; consequently, I purchased it. Not having a TV, I was totally unaware that there exists a comedy series based around the life of Simon Doonan and his friends, family and associates. Therefore, I feel I can write a objective review, based on no a priori expectations.

This has to rate as the most unintersting, tedious and boring 'book', I have ever had the misfortune to read. Whilst it is reasonably written, it is scattered with several French phrases, perhaps to offer some kind of intellectual credibility. IT JUST ISN'T FUNNY!!

The text commences with a brief overview of Doonan's infant life in Reading, moves swiftly on to his move to London whilst in his late teens, a sojourn in Manchester, and then suddenly the author finds himself in Los Angeles. There is no in-depth explanation of how / why the author finds himself in the USA.

For me, a waste of money, and a waste of the two hours it took to read.

In sum - RUBBISH!!

3.0 out of 5 stars ON BEHALF OF A FRIEND, 1 Feb 2009
D. Callaghan "wildgoose" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful People (Paperback)
I bought this book and gave it to a friend. She said she enjoyed reading it. She gave it back to me but I haven't got around to reading it yet.

Beautiful People
Beautiful People by Simon Doonan (Paperback - 1 May 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01