5.0 out of 5 stars Background to a history still vaguely recorded
Having been moved, each time, reading Saggitarius Rising, I moved on to other fictional accounts of WW1 aviation. Discovering On a Wing and a Prayer at last was a pleasure.

Wary at first that the author did not have a background in aviation, I was soon persuaded that his credentials were not questionable.

Mr Levine puts those other books into some...
Published on 17 Oct. 2008 by ChampChump

2.0 out of 5 stars but boring, with very little reference to well known
Factual, but boring, with very little reference to well known aces
Published 2 months ago by John Molyneux

4.0 out of 5 stars A Warning, 23 Nov. 2011
D. Cooknell "Retired academic" (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fighter Heros of WWI (Paperback)
I concur with the favourable reviews of this book. It is perhaps not as well-researched as the Peter Hart books of similar content, but is most enjoyable to read. However do note that it was issued in hard-cover format with the title "On a Wing and a Prayer". I discovered this after purchasing (at a bargain price) the paperback here described. I had already purchased the hard-cover version. I shall give the paperback to an interested friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aces Low - a better history, 1 Dec. 2010
John R. Orr "Socrates" (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fighter Heros of WWI (Paperback)
This was a surprisingly good book.

I thought it would be the usual hagiographic biopic of various fighter pilots but it turned out to be much better, more thoughtful and very interesting account of air warfare in the First World War.

The collections of notes, biographies and personal details were such that I consider that it was one of the most illuminating histories of that era and I thoroughly recommend it.

John Orr

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Fighter Heros of WWI (Paperback)
One of the best flying books about World War 1 that I've read.
It's full of personal accounts and anecdotes. Some of the survival stories are more bizarre and unbelievable than pure fiction. It's a great read about the start of the Royal Flying Corp and its progression from an observation role to a fighting force. It's also very amusing in parts and I thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captures the extraordinary character of these early airmen, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Fighter Heros of WWI (Paperback)
I ordered the book having seen the author on a Sky programme on the Air War of WW1 and found it a fascinating, and at times disturbing read. The research and detail is spot on, yet is presented in a readable and at times humerous way which, I think, is a true reflection of the people and the time. It left me in awe of the achievements of these remarkable young warriors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bringing history allive., 25 May 2011
This review is from: Fighter Heros of WWI (Paperback)
I saw this book just before I went to the battlefieds of France and Belgium, and found it
invaluable. I was able to locate the grave of Albert Ball VC. There are other stories in
this book which makes me want to investigate more and visit the battlefields again.
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in aerial combat of the 1st WW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 17 Jan. 2015
Mrs. E. Mcavennie (uk) - See all my reviews
Superb book - not just the usual stories of the the famous pilots but a great insight into how the RFC /RNAS were founded and the people who joined up and their reasons for doing so and their roles throughout the conflict. - I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone interested in this period of flying history.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read to remind us of sacrifice beyond the call, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: On a Wing and a Prayer: The Untold Story of the Pioneering Aviation Heroes of WW1, in Their Own Words (Hardcover)
OK this is not meant as some kind of erudite tome chronicling the aerial events of the Great War but it is a great read. Nice format too for those who like to read without the specs on! Somewhat weighty for the poolside so maybe consider the Kindle version. I got this as an Xmas pressie and loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stuff, 25 Jun. 2015
A fascinating account of men whose bravery never ceases to amaze me, told in their own words, and with some brilliantly inspired words of his own from Joshua Levine. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Went down well, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Fighter Heros of WWI (Paperback)
Bought for my husband who is interested in aircraft of WW1. He likes the format and the fact it is in the words of the pilots themselves so tels it like it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fascinating read, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Fighter Heros of WWI (Paperback)
If you want to know more and understand just how it really was from the writings of the men that went through the first world war then read this book.

Used & New from: £0.01