on 4 October 2010
Easy to read, and full of useful information.
Because some of us do need a step by step photo guide to putting on a nappy.
on 31 May 2012
We first saw this book in our local library, and as we are soon to be Grandparents, we thought it worth a look, and that it my be useful for our daughter and son in law.

It is very well writen, and packed full of useful advice, including what is a waste of time and money buying.

It's an excellent reference for any new and soon to be parents, and we are so glad we looked at it in our library!
on 26 June 2007
Having bought and read a large number of baby books (our son was born in Feb '07), this is the best we have found. Honest and very accessible, it's the kind of book you can (and will) turn to again and again before the Big Day and afterwards. Highly recommended.
on 28 May 2013
amazing i bought this when i was 25 weeks pregnant as they say nothing will prepare you... but this at least helped with what the rough guideline are to parent hood. helped alot and gave a sense of confidence.. would recommend to ALL parents not just new!
on 12 January 2010
My husband and I had no previous experience of babies whatsoever and had what I'm sure are the usual million questions. It would be unreasonable to expect all those answers in any one book, but Lucy Atkins gives lots of useful information and tips in a down-to-earth, not at all patronising way (unlike some other authors I've read). My favourite chapters are on Crying and Sleeping where she gives handy tips to try out and generally makes you feel.. well, a bit supported really.
Also, I read her book, 'Blooming Birth' when I was pregnant and would absolutely recommend it to anyone having their first child.
on 25 November 2009
We were swamped by books on how to bring up our child when expecting a baby; this was the only one that actually sounded like the writer was a mother herself, AND realised that not everyone in the world thought as she did on parenting, or had a child exactly like her own.

Lucy Atkin rounds up all the most common strategies advised where parenting is concerned and offers them with neutrality. She has an honest but non-directional attitude to the great breast v bottle dilemma, she talks with sympathy about women who need to choose childcare early and offers tips on how to spot a good option, and she has some of the most sensible words on diet for toddlers I've ever read. She also recognises that children are simply hard work, as well as exciting, challenging and fantastic. It's such a change to read something that isn't a series of orders, sickly and unrealistic, or depressing. She really conveys what having a first child is like, in all its messy, confusing, glorious excitement, while offering the most down to earth and sensible advice possible. There isn't, anywhere, that depressingly common conviction that anyone whose parenting style is different to the writer's will scar their child for life.

Last but not least, she has listed all the very best resources for new parents - from Mumsnet to Crysis, via the wonderful breast feeding clinic at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.
on 12 September 2007
A wonderful book; honest, humourous, affectionate and never accusing. BUT read it before your baby comes as it is the only thing that can begin to prepare you for the madness! I got it out of my library in desperation when my baby boy was a month old and it made so much sense. I wish I'd had it before the birth, the NHS hospital experience and the sleep deprived first months as it would have made the whole thing far less scary. (By the way; my baby is now an angelic, cute, cuddly, excitable 8 month old. Not because of the book (!) but the book certainly made me love him more as a challenging 4 week old)
on 3 September 2010
Both prior to, and after the birth this book has been of great value to my partner and I. Believe me when I say I knew absolutely nothing about babies when my partner fell pregnant. I devoured this book like a man possessed, driven by my terror at being left in charge of a little persons welfare. The author covers everything you could need and does so without being at all patronising. So now when I'm awake with my daughter at 2am, ear pressed to her chest frantically checking that she's still breathing or panicking that her mild gurgle may lead to all out choking, I have a reference point. It's comforting to know that any concerns I have, be it feeding, sleeping or the inevitable changes to my relationship with my partner, are all explained. Though you'll do well to remember this book is a guide not a miracle worker as all babies are different.
The writing is considered and with real warmth. This book cost me less than a tenner, whilst antenatal classes cost us over £150. I know which one we'll get more use out of as our scary but amazing parental journey continues.
on 23 September 2011
This has to be the best baby book I've read, I just wish I bought it earlier whilst pregnant and binned all the other patronising, dull and text-booky type ones (written mostly by unbearably bossy midwives). If you only choose one book to have I would totally recommend this one-it's honest, funny, down to earth, concise and written by someone who has recent personal experience of raising 3 young ones. It's written and formatted to easily dip in and out of (which new parent has the time or energy to wade through huge hard backs?), has all the important up to date guide lines and government info and even covers topics that other books I've read don't cover such as traumatic births and suggested web sites etc.
Even though it's not as comprehensive as other guides ( like the 'What to expect?' range or Dr. Mirium Stoppard for example)it really does cover everything you could possibly need to know and more. My baby is now 5 months old and in the few weeks I've owned the book I've used it so many times and it has given me not only more confidence and insight than all the other books put together but it has genuinely made me laugh too- something I haven't done properly due to sleep deprivation for quite some time!It really does keep it's promise to help you cope, stay sane and feel normal. Personally, what I have really valued is the authors way of helping you feel like she is on your side and not to feel so pressured by everything (it's your baby, trust your instincts!) especially as a first time parent so many things can make you feel lost or overwhelmed.I have found that so many other books make you feel guilty or incompetent and tell you what you 'should' be doing. Cannot recommend highly enough and look forward to more guides by same author.
on 8 March 2016
Amazing. If you only buy 1 book on baby, make it this one. Easy to follow, can duck in and out for EASY reference. I'm dad of the duo soon to be trio, and feel more confident for reading this book