on 4 October 2010
Easy to read, and full of useful information.
Because some of us do need a step by step photo guide to putting on a nappy.
0Comment27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2007
Having bought and read a large number of baby books (our son was born in Feb '07), this is the best we have found. Honest and very accessible, it's the kind of book you can (and will) turn to again and again before the Big Day and afterwards. Highly recommended.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2013
amazing i bought this when i was 25 weeks pregnant as they say nothing will prepare you... but this at least helped with what the rough guideline are to parent hood. helped alot and gave a sense of confidence.. would recommend to ALL parents not just new!
0Comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2015
Although this book is called "First Time Parent" it is written exclusively for mothers. The baby advice sections are reasonably good, however, althoughI wonder if the author had a commercial tie-in with Neal's Yard Remedies, as these products are mentioned frequently.
on 23 September 2011
This has to be the best baby book I've read, I just wish I bought it earlier whilst pregnant and binned all the other patronising, dull and text-booky type ones (written mostly by unbearably bossy midwives). If you only choose one book to have I would totally recommend this one-it's honest, funny, down to earth, concise and written by someone who has recent personal experience of raising 3 young ones. It's written and formatted to easily dip in and out of (which new parent has the time or energy to wade through huge hard backs?), has all the important up to date guide lines and government info and even covers topics that other books I've read don't cover such as traumatic births and suggested web sites etc.
Even though it's not as comprehensive as other guides ( like the 'What to expect?' range or Dr. Mirium Stoppard for example)it really does cover everything you could possibly need to know and more. My baby is now 5 months old and in the few weeks I've owned the book I've used it so many times and it has given me not only more confidence and insight than all the other books put together but it has genuinely made me laugh too- something I haven't done properly due to sleep deprivation for quite some time!It really does keep it's promise to help you cope, stay sane and feel normal. Personally, what I have really valued is the authors way of helping you feel like she is on your side and not to feel so pressured by everything (it's your baby, trust your instincts!) especially as a first time parent so many things can make you feel lost or overwhelmed.I have found that so many other books make you feel guilty or incompetent and tell you what you 'should' be doing. Cannot recommend highly enough and look forward to more guides by same author.
0Comment32 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2009
We were swamped by books on how to bring up our child when expecting a baby; this was the only one that actually sounded like the writer was a mother herself, AND realised that not everyone in the world thought as she did on parenting, or had a child exactly like her own.

Lucy Atkin rounds up all the most common strategies advised where parenting is concerned and offers them with neutrality. She has an honest but non-directional attitude to the great breast v bottle dilemma, she talks with sympathy about women who need to choose childcare early and offers tips on how to spot a good option, and she has some of the most sensible words on diet for toddlers I've ever read. She also recognises that children are simply hard work, as well as exciting, challenging and fantastic. It's such a change to read something that isn't a series of orders, sickly and unrealistic, or depressing. She really conveys what having a first child is like, in all its messy, confusing, glorious excitement, while offering the most down to earth and sensible advice possible. There isn't, anywhere, that depressingly common conviction that anyone whose parenting style is different to the writer's will scar their child for life.

Last but not least, she has listed all the very best resources for new parents - from Mumsnet to Crysis, via the wonderful breast feeding clinic at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.
0Comment68 of 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2010
Both prior to, and after the birth this book has been of great value to my partner and I. Believe me when I say I knew absolutely nothing about babies when my partner fell pregnant. I devoured this book like a man possessed, driven by my terror at being left in charge of a little persons welfare. The author covers everything you could need and does so without being at all patronising. So now when I'm awake with my daughter at 2am, ear pressed to her chest frantically checking that she's still breathing or panicking that her mild gurgle may lead to all out choking, I have a reference point. It's comforting to know that any concerns I have, be it feeding, sleeping or the inevitable changes to my relationship with my partner, are all explained. Though you'll do well to remember this book is a guide not a miracle worker as all babies are different.
The writing is considered and with real warmth. This book cost me less than a tenner, whilst antenatal classes cost us over £150. I know which one we'll get more use out of as our scary but amazing parental journey continues.
0Comment22 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2014
Not very comprehensive and didn't tell me much new that I couldn't have found on the internet. Will probably eBay it.
on 2 June 2015
This book was really handy and I enjoyed the friendly way in which it's written. There seem to be plenty of other books out there which are far more judgemental. I would say it's a real beginner's / idiot's guide (which was what I needed!) but if you require more detail there are references to other sources.
on 24 October 2011
Expensive so if I could have got it second hand or from the library it would have been even better. But its a great book to own, dip into, lend out. I have a 5 month baby and so much of what she writes is SPOT ON. Down to earth and funny enough to make me laugh out loud at times. Would be great to read before having your baby, but still worth buying now, at the 5 month stage. Great section on what you really need to get before baby arrives, and what you dont need but will make life much easier if you get it. Great section on the whole buggy/pram/travel system choice which is mindboggling to the first time parent. Lots of great sections. Very supportive. Very good non hyped perspective on all the crucial parent/baby issues I have been finding out about through daily experience ie the issue of (lack of) sleep and breastfeeding/bottlefeeding/weaning. Very well worth a read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse