5.0 out of 5 stars The best baby book-bin all the others-this one is amazing!
This has to be the best baby book I've read, I just wish I bought it earlier whilst pregnant and binned all the other patronising, dull and text-booky type ones (written mostly by unbearably bossy midwives). If you only choose one book to have I would totally recommend this one-it's honest, funny, down to earth, concise and written by someone who has recent personal...
Published on 23 Sep 2011 by manhattan78

2.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, but jaw droppingly patronising
This book is well written in that is articulate, readable, and amusing. If written and marketed as one mother's tales of motherhood, it would make an entertaining christmas present. But to market it as a guide to caring for a baby is arrogant in the extreme - I can find no evidence of any qualification and the author appears to be a pleasant mum of three children, with...
Published 7 months ago by Ms. Laura C. A. Nesfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for first time mums., 17 April 2012
This review is from: First-Time Parent: The honest guide to coping brilliantly and staying sane in your baby's first year (Paperback)
Very informative in an informal way. I enjoyed reading it and found it easy to understand. I found the advice practical, and realistic, unlike Gina Ford's book which was like boot camp for babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars good basic advice, 27 Feb 2012
easy to read. plenty of good basic tips put in. advice given from a mothers own experience. worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible. Funny. Helpful. I'd recommend it to any first time parent, 24 Oct 2011
Expensive so if I could have got it second hand or from the library it would have been even better. But its a great book to own, dip into, lend out. I have a 5 month baby and so much of what she writes is SPOT ON. Down to earth and funny enough to make me laugh out loud at times. Would be great to read before having your baby, but still worth buying now, at the 5 month stage. Great section on what you really need to get before baby arrives, and what you dont need but will make life much easier if you get it. Great section on the whole buggy/pram/travel system choice which is mindboggling to the first time parent. Lots of great sections. Very supportive. Very good non hyped perspective on all the crucial parent/baby issues I have been finding out about through daily experience ie the issue of (lack of) sleep and breastfeeding/bottlefeeding/weaning. Very well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 10 Aug 2011
This book is an excellent read for first time parents - it gives a wonderful insight insight into all aspects of baby care that will be needed in the first chapters of babies first year.

Wonderfully illustrated with clear explanations from the basics of how to change nappies to crying, sleeping problems and feeding care.

Worth the money and a useful book to have in the early days of bringing up a child.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST BUY!!!, 1 Aug 2011
Honest, funny, practical. Buy this book if you are expecting a baby, have had a baby, or are having another and didn't get it first time around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 11 Jun 2011
S. P. Davison-Allott (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby and read this book from cover to cover over a weekend.

While a lot of these books read like manuals this one felt like reading a letter from a friend. The tone was supportive and helpful without being preachy or patronising. There are recommendations of products and brands but it never feels like an advert, and the advice given always has alternatives - there's never a suggestion that if you can't get one of the techniques to work you're doing something wrong.

Where some of the other books I've read have tried to make raising a baby seem quite black and white this one acknowledges the difficulties of parenthood and the kind of fears a new parent is likely to have. It's very user-friendly and definitely something I'll dip into every now and again once baby's here - even if just to reassure myself that I'm not doing everything wrong even when it seems as though I might be.

I would recommend this to any parent-to-be to make them feel more confident before baby arrives, but also to new parents who just need to feel reassured that they're doing okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 31 Mar 2011
I absolutely loved this book, definitely the best of the bunch if you want simple advice about what it's actually like to be a new mum. Lucy Atkins doesn't talk down to you and it's a really entertaining read. I always give a copy to my pregnant friends who agree it's a fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, down to earth book, 6 Mar 2011
I bought this book for my friend who is going to be a first-time mum very soon. She is not really much of a reader so I wasn't sure how much good she would get from this book. However, she says that it is so easy to read, with practical and down to earth advice that she has almost read it cover to cover. So many parenting books preach to you about what you should be doing, this book is more of a guide to real life and how you can manage to the best of your ability. I gave this as a baby shower gift and was greatly received.

5.0 out of 5 stars unbiased & helpful, 29 Jan 2011
G. L. Robinson "gem" (uk) - See all my reviews
I have borrowed this book from the library and its by far the best parenting book I've read. Whilst I can't top the first review I read, I just found it very neutral and non-judgmental. I'm expecting my first baby and the amount of conflicting information given to you can be overwhelming. This book offers advice without being instructional and simply explains what you may need and your baby's different stages. I have found it invaluable.

4.0 out of 5 stars First-Time Parent, 10 Sep 2010
This book was very easy to read, lots of pictures and practical advice, a good starter book to read before you read anything with more traditional views on looking after babies.