5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!
I recently went into Oxford University main book shop, and chatted to an amazing member of staff.
I asked her for any A level general biology books, with excellent layouts, very clear to read, easily digestible, clear diagrams and without tiny writing all squashed in together.
She kindly brought me a very large selection which took me 2 hours to sift...
Published 10 months ago by Nicola Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to digest, pretty pictures, diagrams; not much else.
Published on 13 Jan 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to digest, pretty pictures, diagrams; not much else., 13 Jan 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book when i chanced upon it at my local Waterstones. It has lots of illustrations, colour photographs, and simple diagrams - but in terms of the detail and depth of information contained in the text it's quite lacking. I would recommend this book to those who struggle with new concepts, or horrible complex areas of the syllabus, such as respiration and photosynthesis; the book explains these areas in a simple straightforward manner, without too much biological jargon or useless information. The page layout is very clear and easy-to-follow, with blocks of text sectioned off under brightly coloured headers. On the other hand, this book just doesn't go into enough scientific detail for my liking. Many of the units and concepts covered lack the fine detail that would be needed to get an A grade. I have even spotted a mistake in the text (of the 2nd, and latest, Edition) - in the unit covering meiosis it says that during Early Prophase I the /centromeres/ move to opposite poles, when it should say that the micro-tubule organising centres (aka centrioles) move to opposite poles. Another annoying thing is that although they've wrongly mentioned the centromeres in their description of meiosis I, they also fail to mention the behaviour or function of the centromeres at all anywhere else in the unit - eg. under 'Metaphase I' they fail to mention that the centromeres do not replicate, for which reason the sister chromatids remain as a single unit and aren’t separated in the proceeding Anaphase. Furthermore, under 'Metaphase II' they don't mention at all that the centromeres divide, thus allowing each sister chromatid to form a daughter chromosome in the each of the gametes made - they simply say that each chromatid migrates to opposite poles, without saying how or why. The most annoying thing however, is that they do not provide answers to the past examination questions that are at the end of each chapter - and the CD-Rom which supposedly has those answers is apparently supplied by neither any of the major book retailers nor Collins themselves! If you want an in-depth A-grade book then i'd recommend 'Advanced Biology' by Oxford University Press - it's more detailed, has better exam questions (to which answers are provided in the back of the book!), and it also costs less!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Collins Advanced Science - Biology (Paperback)
She kindly brought me a very large selection which took me 2 hours to sift through!

This book was her number 1. choice out of the whole library section to buy from, and I certainly agreed with her.

When you are choosing an important book you are planning on spending many many hours studying with, its so important to find a book which you will enjoy using due to its amazing presentation from start to finish, even the out side edge is colour coded, so you can instantly find the section you are working for. Its all the added extras which they didn't have to do, non of the other books did this, but it adds to its user friendly approach.

This whole book is USER FRIENDLY, in every respect and more.

If you can make complex information look and read as though its easy to learn, then learning becomes far more achievable, productive and hopefully successful.

The contents page is very easy to read, and colour coded with the pages of that subject and the external pages of the book.
The subject headings are very clear and enlarged, important words or information are also in larger print than the rest of the text. Different easy to read fonts are used, which relaxes the eyes, and helps you to focus on the different information, ie, information of microscopic pictures, information regarding diagrams. It also has sections within the chapters, displayed in very clear font, called "REMEMBER THIS" with a big tick in front of it, highlighting information you need to take away with that page. Different coloured back grounds in gently shaded colour also helps you to take in the information and remember the diagrams too. Its all these little elements which make this book so different. Nothing is over complicated in any way.

I read books and I use a kindle, and I must say, this book is far far better as a book than using it in kindle format. I have many technical books on kindle, and I cannot imagine this book being so effective in Kindle format. I like the fact that the information is spread out and not crunched together. I personally feel this book would loose all its amazing qualities being read on a small screen. If I did have it on kindle/tablet form, I would like the book to use at home to study from.

This book has 684 pages, and is a heavy book to carry about.

Contents:

Section 1. The cell: basic unit of life
what is a cell
tissue and organs
the chemicals of life
movement in and out of cells
enzymes and metabolism

evolution
DNA technology

Section 7. All about plants
how plants work
how plants grow and respond
reproduction in flowering plants

Section 8. The environment
Ecology:the basics
the biology of ecosystems
energy transfer and mineral cycling in ecosystems
populations
human activity and the environment

Section 9.
appendix
answers to questions
credits
index

I hope this review will help you choose a book suitable for you, and that you find the right book to make learning an enjoyable experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A level Aceness, 15 Oct 2002
Mr. R. P. Sykes "Ry" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This Book is the bible for students taking advanced biology.
It covers everything you need and more. Its brim full of factual content and funky easy to read diagrams and pictures.
Aceness.
its easy to read as it is set for students, theres not to much waffle and jargon you usually find in biological textbooks. As I said a true life saver. The new edition is a lot better than the previous one and the mistakes have been corrected.
I was on a grade D at A-level until i purchased this book and with its aid and a little grit and determination i acheived a grade B. More proof of its effectiveness.
Cheers Mikey B!

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced Biology by Barbour, 16 Dec 2012
Very informative book and delivery was speedy.Would recommend for A level Biology but I am currently on an access diploma for health and it's the best book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 'Read Around the Subject' Textbook, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Collins Advanced Science - Biology (Paperback)
I used this textbook alongside my AS Level Edexcel examboard Biology book. It was excellent in the sense of reading in depth and around the subject in general and reeally did fit in well with my biology syllabus.

It didn't really cover my A2 syllabus, whcih is a shame as I love the colourful pages, detailed explaination of key concepts and very concise and easy to understand text - particually very strong on the meiosis/mitosis concepts, which I felt wasn't covered very well in my exam board text book, and also the cardiac section is very good.

It was a very expensive textbook for me at the time as I only just started my AS biology when I bought it, however it paid off as I become much more confident in biology, had a wider knowledge of different concepts and it really did put me at an advantage over other students in the class and showed in my results!

A very good textbook, definitely well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Collins Advanced Science - Biology (Paperback)
Excellent book and contents just what I required from a biology book.

Very broad topics and well written and explained.

1.0 out of 5 stars i really needed this book, 7 April 2014
i really needed this book but it came too late and can i just say please air out your books this book stank! disgusting donating it to a library!

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 11 Dec 2013
It has all the necessary information for studying A-level Biology. It is interesting to read, has really good and easy understandable illustrations. Overall I am very pleased with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described!, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Collins Advanced Science - Biology (Paperback)
Thanks, now I'll be able to use this book for my studies.
It came promptly and was exactly as described.
Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Collins Advanced Science - Biology (Paperback)
I would advise anyone to go for it, since its used I thought it would look worn out.On the contrary it looked new for the price relative to the price for a new one.But I will not say it's good for revision for A levels because it doesn't go straight to the point, you would have to read a whole lot just to get details off a topic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Collins Advanced Science - Biology
Collins Advanced Science - Biology by Kathryn Senior (Paperback - 20 May 2008)