4.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to loose weight or be rich to look great!
Published on 17 Jun 2007 by U. Hartmann

3.0 out of 5 stars Great on TV but the book?
Feel Fab at 50

Published on 1 Sep 2008 by Sue Donnelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to loose weight or be rich to look great!, 17 Jun 2007
U. Hartmann (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
The best thing about this book is its overall message: you do not necessarily have to loose weight or be rich to look your very best on a day-to-day basis! Gok's approach is 'drink more water, eat more fruit&veg and take good care of yourself'- no diet fads or expensive plastic surgery (see '10 years younger'!) needed. The book focuses on different types of body shape (big bottom, big belly, no curves, too skinny etc.) and provides LOTS of helpful advice as to what to wear and (probably even more important) what not. The last chapters focus on underwear and general beauty routine. All of this is very helpful and the writing style is very similar to the tv show, very positive and encouraging, all about flaunting your best bits and keeping quiet about the rest. I can honestly say that I have never read such a positive book about this subject: Gok does not preach or patronize, but seems to really want to bring the best out in everybody.

The only shortcoming is a lack of photographs. It would have been nice to have more pictures accompanying the advice given in the text. But apart from that: absolutely recommendable!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great on TV but the book?, 1 Sep 2008
This review is from: How to Look Good Naked: Shop for Your Shape and Look Amazing! (Paperback)
Feel Fab at 50

As an Image professional I have always loved Gok since he jumped on to our TV screens a couple of years ago. He epitomises what we, as professionals, should be doing with our clients. I have continued to love his approach ever since. While the text in his book was sensible and uplifting, strangely enough, I found the choice of clothing incomprehensible for the most part. Instead of flattering his models, who are all gorgeous (and mostly voluptuous), they look uncomfortable and too tight with staining seams, incorrect fabric choices and so on. The Gok on TV would never make these fundamental errors and the upshot is that his girls look bigger than they really are. A conundrum!

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, 30 Jun 2007
Reeta (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Five stars because although the book is not perfect I applaud the kindness of the author. An interesting aspect is that Wan himself tells us that he was overweight. Quite obviously he is not now - yet this is emphatically not a diet book. What seems to have happened is that the author styled himself to feel better about himself and the weightloss followed in due course when he was happier about himself. This book is so brilliant because it starts with what's right about you rather than with what is wrong, working with your self-consciousness rather than totally disregarding it. All teenage girls should be given this book and the author should be given a knighthood. Read in conjunction with watching the TV show.

My only criticisms: perhaps the style is a little cloying; but I'll live with that since I know he is trying to put the reader at their ease. Also sometimes it's hard to know exactly what shape you are: e.g. am I a pear shape, a bird with a big bum or petite? Maybe some comparative measurements would be useful. Worst thing would be to accidentally go for the wrong shape. Really I'm a combination of all three so how to work with that? There is some limited advice but more would be good.

5.0 out of 5 stars i luv Gok!, 27 April 2007
Scottish Footie - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
***** I love this book! Gok is so lovely on the show. I wish there were more people on TV telling women they can look great even if they don't look like scrawny supermodels... I'm definitely a `bellisimo babe' (that means having a big belly, to you and me)!!! it was so helpful to be told what clothes I should buy and what I should avoid. a bit like going on a shopping trip with Gok himself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Complements the TV show, 18 May 2007
The pictures in this book are lovely and the tips are really helpful. Other style books don't have as many female body shapes to talk about. There are women who fall between two shapes and like similar books, Gok does not discuss them. Nevertheless having watched him on telly and knowing his style, this is a great book to own and refer to over and over agin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not enough pictures, 1 Jun 2007
I love his programme and couldn't wait for the book but I was disappointed that there weren't more pictures to show you what clothes to wear rather than just describing them however it was still nice to read as Gok is so passionate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gok Wan: Making the world a better place for ladies everywhere!, 12 July 2007
I am not usually a fan of fashion and stylist programmes, but I tuned into Gok's every week. It hit just the right tone, about celebrating what real women look like and making the best of what you already had rather than needing to change.
This book has the same loveable and helpful tone as the show, and offers a supportive mantra to learn to love what you have and make the best of it. The only real confusing element is if you're not sure which of the body types describes you best, eg if you're top heavy but also uncomfortable about your belly.
Gok is offering a valuable service to all women uncomfortable with their shapes and this book offers helpful advice, aswell as feeling like a confidante to remind you that yes, you are beautiful. Of course, I'm biased because I met Gok at his book signing and am absolutely in love with the man, but I really do recommend this book as an encouragement to all women who want to learn how to be comfortable in their own skin just the way it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 29 April 2007
A reader (East Midlands) - See all my reviews
Gok's narrative is positive & uplifting, which instantly makes you feel better about your body. An informative read with good visuals, although I would have liked a bit more detailed information on what clothes to buy. Better than most syle books!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great confidence booster, 22 Jun 2009
Wayne Redhart "@wayneredhart on Twitter!" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ever since Gok Wan first graced our televisual screens, he has been doing a tremendous job of helping the nation's ordinary folk to feel good about themselves. When it comes to makeover TV, the man is virtually without peers. Each time Gok Wan waves his magic wand, one can see exactly how it is that he came to earn a rightful place at the top of the (gold-sprayed Christmas) tree of fashion. However, admittedly, his channel 4 show is not my absolute favourite make-over programme, if I'm entirely honest. My wife Doreen and I absolutely adore the one where they hand out advice to the parents of aesthetically-challenged babies. It's remarkable to see the extent to which a formerly repellant infant's image can be improved through some shrewdly contemporaneous accessorisation. Frankly, the procurement of flatteringly figure-hugging nappies ought be viewed as nothing short of any responsible parent's duty to their child. Tastefully applied cosmetics/tattoos/body piercings etc can also work wonders for those newborns that failed to be gifted with an advantageous genetic make-up. Any unfortunate parents who are currently suffering the embarrassing burden of a physically repulsive offspring should be sure to look out for 'Pimp my Baby' on cable TV.

Anyhow, apologies for straying a little off the point! As huge fans of Gok Wan, himself, we have yet to miss an episode of his channel 4 shows. It was only natural that I should pick up a copy of this book for Doreen. To some, the notion of trying to improve their appearance in the buff by buying different clothes may sound slightly puzzling. Indeed, the truth is that (while this book does contain healthy living advice) the real changes are largely the product of the confidence that can be instilled- rather than that of any drastic alterations to one's unadorned physical attributes. Skeptical as some may be, it is genuinely remarkable to see how much of an improvement standing tall and proud (well, simply standing proud, in Doreen's case) can generate, once the subject is down to their Birthday suit.

So, the difference in Doreen has truly been phenomenal! While I would never have gone quite so far as to describe her as the shy type, the increment to her self-confidence has manifested itself beyond all conceivable expectations. Indeed, this is where this book should really be supplied with a warning, as she now hates to fence her body inside the boundaries of garments. However comfortable my wife may be in her new found sense of body-image, one has to concede that certain limits upon a lady's self-estimation really SHOULD be retained. While Doreen is certainly proud of her substantial assets, I am sorry to say that her antics at last Sunday's match did not impress anyone but herself. Although the police were lenient enough to release her with a (final) warning, I fear that it will be a long time before the ban upon our attendance at future games might feasibly be overturned! Glorious as our son Crispin's goal-scoring scissor kick was, the headmaster's damning condemnation of Doreen's unashamedly bare-back pitch invasion (during the school's under-eight B team match) was frankly more than justified.

So, in summary, this is a greatly uplifting book for those who lack the confidence to whip their drawers off (without first closing all the curtains and applying for their home to be formally disconnected from the national electricity grid). However, any gentlemen who are thinking about purchasing it for their wives should be sure to provide adequate supervision during use. The fact is that sometimes you CAN end up with a little too much confidence...

PS. It's a fascinating fact that Gok Wan can be rearranged to form a rather interesting anagram, the first word of which is 'go' (although I forget what the second one was).

5.0 out of 5 stars How to look good naked, 28 Nov 2009
I bought this book as I follow Gok's TV programmes and I like his approach to his subjects - he never makes people feel bad.

The book is well put together and I keep two of his books by my bed and have a little read before sleeping. I do not have body issues but I know there are many who do so this book is just right for them.

I ordered three of Gok's books but only two arrived. Delivery was quick and the books were well packed but unfortunately I am still waiting for 'Work your wardrobe' which has a long wait (ordered 25/10/09 will not be delivered until Feb 2010). If I knew that I would have tried to get it elsewhere, otherwise happy with the transaction.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to Look Good Naked: Shop for Your Shape and Look Amazing!